Gibson Brands Forums

Is the LP Classic Antique good?

Link

Hi Link,

Tim is right that the body is chambered.

The biggest thing to point out on the LP Classic are the use of ceramic pickups. As opposed to using Burstbucker Pro's or 57 Classics that are on the Standards/Traditonals, or the 490/498 in the Studios, they use a 496R at neck & and 500T at the bridge. This is important to note because the use of ceramic pickups will give you a very distinct tone - it's certainly not what you most likely think of when you think of "LP tone". Essentially the pickups run very hot in comparison to an an alnico II or V.

Some people love the ceramics, some people hate them. If you are primarily a "metal" player then you might find they are exactly what you are looking for. If your music tastes are fairly eclectic, then you might find the alnico II or V to be more compatible. My personal opinion is that the alnico II and V type pickups will give you much greater flexibility and tonal options, and are much more in line with the traditional LP sound.

Another thing to note is that the LP Classics are only available with a slim tapered 60's neck.

They are definitely outstanding guitars, and they are very good looking as well - but they are also kind of in a class by themselves in so far that the pickup configuration deviates from the "norm" so to speak. You might find that it's exactly what you are looking for, but it's definitely a guitar I would not buy unseen or unplayed - I would definitely suggest trying one out to see if it's your style first.

Best of luck!

You guys BOTH rock!

I have a Deluxe Goldtop with mini humbuckers.

The guitar is obviously missing some Mahogany in the middle but sounds great.

Binding on the headstock is a nice touch, just uncommon for a Les Paul.

The 57 Classics are unbeatable in my opinion, and I prefer the slimmer neck.

That neck is the primary reason I bought my Deluxe, all of them over the years have the bigger neck.

Only with the Guitar Of The Week in 2007 did they change that for 400 guitars.

2379597320_ed0342842c.jpg?v=1207027568

My Robot and Custom have binding on the headstock... Looks great!!!

The CA's head binding is different than yours are. It's an extension of the neck binding up and around the head stock...it's nothing like your Custom's. By the way Dave, where are all the pics?? Come on!

Congrats Link, look forward to seeing the pictures. The 57/57+ pickups combo is great, and I really like the binding on the headstock featured on the Classic Antiques. In fact, I generally prefer binding on all LP headstocks.

Hi Link' date='

Tim is right that the body is chambered.

The biggest thing to point out on the LP Classic are the use of ceramic pickups. As opposed to using Burstbucker Pro's or 57 Classics that are on the Standards/Traditonals, or the 490/498 in the Studios, they use a 496R at neck & and 500T at the bridge. This is important to note because the use of ceramic pickups will give you a very distinct tone - it's certainly not what you most likely think of when you think of "LP tone". Essentially the pickups run very hot in comparison to an an alnico II or V.

Some people love the ceramics, some people hate them. If you are primarily a "metal" player then you might find they are exactly what you are looking for. If your music tastes are fairly eclectic, then you might find the alnico II or V to be more compatible. My personal opinion is that the alnico II and V type pickups will give you much greater flexibility and tonal options, and are much more in line with the traditional LP sound.

Another thing to note is that the LP Classics are only available with a slim tapered 60's neck.

They are definitely outstanding guitars, and they are very good looking as well - but they are also kind of in a class by themselves in so far that the pickup configuration deviates from the "norm" so to speak. You might find that it's exactly what you are looking for, but it's definitely a guitar I would not buy unseen or unplayed - I would definitely suggest trying one out to see if it's your style first.

Best of luck! [/quote']

What a great thread...intelligent well written responses completely on target.

Link, you may consider looking at the Traditional as well, they come with the 57 Classics and a 50's neck and are weight relieved (as opposed to chambered).

Haha I seriously can't wait for it, I have to ask though, I looked around and I cannot find even a pic of one in wine red. What's up with that? It's not supposed to come in wine red is it?

Edit: Oh and thanks to the guys who pointed out the binding on the headstock, I would never have noticed that =D>

Haha I seriously can't wait for it' date=' I have to ask though, I looked around and I cannot find even a pic of one in wine red. What's up with that? It's not supposed to come in wine red is it?

Edit: Oh and thanks to the guys who pointed out the binding on the headstock, I would never have noticed that =P~[/quote']

Don't worry, it's supposed to come in wine red, I've actually seen one in my local store. The flamed maple with wine red looks really cool, it was a good choice.

thanks to the guys who pointed out the binding on the headstock' date=' I would never have noticed that[/quote']

I didn't either at first.

It doesn't really stand out.

It looks fine to me, very subtle. I wouldn't pay extra money to get it, but like I said it's a nice touch.

You mean the headstock inlay?

No' date=' it's the same as other LPs.

The truss rod cover has "Classic" engraved in script.[/quote']

then which one has the cursive on the headstock?

There was one at GC when I went today, I though it was a copy until I looked closer.

hey guys > i have a classic antique in honeyburst and i truely love this guitar> it has almost a lemonburst finish but when you take a pic or when in dim lighting looks like a regular honeyburst > pretty cool effect> the top is very nice and grainy as well as flamey> i would just look at the back and make sure you get a 1 piece mahogony back > mine has this but i think i lucked out completely with this instrument> the chambered body is light and feels good > the pickups sound nice with a sweet clean sound> the neck is a little thin for my taste but feels fine> ive heard good and bad about these guitars and my advise ,as i did, is go play the guitars and find the one that feels right> to think i went to purchase a goldtop deluxe which is a great guitar and then i played mine and that was it>>> the rest is history> thanks for the time> turtle >

Archived