Gibson Brands Forums

Cutting strings

deepblue

Just trying to give your guitar a distinct look, I suppose. I can't see it being beneficial in anyway.

I think it looks retarded, personally.

Mash, I got rid of the A because I got rid of my TIMMY from Southpark avatar.

That's the only reason I had it in the first place, nothing to do with my real name.

The R9 is a much nicer avatar, don't you agree? O:)

Have you ever been poked buy one of those un-wound strings? Ouch! I used to cut them kinda long, and then with a needle nose, add a small loop at the end to keep from getting poked. If I feel lazy, I'll just coil them up. Either way the guitar is OK.

I read somewhere that this is a old classical/folk player leftover because the old Nylon/gut strings use to break where they passed over the raised bridge or where a pick hit the string, having the extra string would allow them to retie the bridge without needing a new string. Don't know if that's true or not but in a way I hope so, that's a lot cooler story than a Pippi Longstocking fetish or just being to lazy to cut them.

I clip 'em, because otherwise, they start hitting other strings that are already vibrating and it makes weird sounds. Sometimes, if I don't cut the strings, the tips of the strings start hitting my fingers when I'm playing the lower frets.

Once I left the strings uncut on my Epiphone and it started scratching up the headstock, so I cut them.

And the reason everyone else has mentioned, leaving the strings uncut makes the guitar look sloppy.

I wonder why everyone else only has 1 reason why they cut their strings, but I have 4....... maybe I'm just really unlucky with my uncut strings? O:)

Sorry - tried to think of something with strings sticking strangely out of it's head.

No apology needed!

I commend you on pulling that one out of your hat!

My comment suggested only that it was from someplace FAR different than most guitar headstocks....

Witty.

If you don't clip them, where are you going to put your cigarette? A neat 1" long spike of wire is the ideal place to spike the tip while you do whatever - leaving the strings long means the ciggie is wibbling all over the place.

:-k but N!k - you gave up in 2000 :-k

Yeah - but old habits die hard.....

Just trying to give your guitar a distinct look' date=' I suppose. I can't see it being beneficial in anyway.

I think it looks retarded, personally.

Mash, I got rid of the A because I got rid of my TIMMY from Southpark avatar.

That's the only reason I had it in the first place, nothing to do with my real name.

The R9 is a much nicer avatar, don't you agree? :-k[/quote']

I don't remember that avatar? must've been before my time...

IS YOUR NAME EVEN TIM??????

I feel so lied to...

I read that some folks leave them on and wound to increase sustain. In fact, they were equally incredulous in regards to our cutting of the strings...

...which of course, I do. Used to keep my cig there too, decades ago. It looks neater and makes less noise and fits in the case better and gets caught on less stuff and... did I mention looks neater?

I cut my strings too. Here's a few more observations on strings, maybe some of you have noticed?

I usually cut my strings to length before I wrap them around the pole and then only put enough thru to make a 90 degree crimp before I start winding. Once, on the B string, the crimped end bent down and scratched a nice little perfect circle around the tuning peg as I wound it. Ouch!

My case has one of those silk cover for the guitar. Well, the ends of the strings started to make little tears in the silk whenever I closed the case. Now I fold up my polishing cloth and lay it over the headstock before closing the case. This protects the silk from the cut off ends of the strings.

Archived