Gibson Brands Forums

Talkin' bout Trannie's.....

Josh James

I wanted to start a thread about different flavor's of fuzz. Most people think "Fuzz" is just one distinct sound, but alot of research has led to many sounds! Basically, I guess you have either silicon or germanium transistor's. Silicon being darker and smoother and germanium being more tube amp like and less trebly. So that being me to such pedal's as the "Tone Bender" originally made by Colorsound and it's respective clone's ie Soul Bender etc. I hear this sort of fuzz is like a germ fuzz but with wacked out octave stuff happening? Kinda like early Zepp and Jeff Beck. Anyone ever used one of these or a clone and give me some tonal idea's or maybe just your favorite fuzz or fuzz song? =)

Cheers,

J

Hmm, no car enthusiast's or cross dresser's replying to this one...thank goodness! Anyhow, I love the 69', it does the Jimi and Black Key's thing, but listening to clips of that "soulbender" is making me kind of gas! I used to have a black box russian muff and that thing was just a distortion pedal in the guise of a fuzz and was totally misled by the internet to by the darn thing. I like to make old school sounds with old school sounding effects, so I'm not sure any of the devi-ever stuff is for me? Have to admit that oscillating fuzz is pretty nasty though! My favorite fuzz song is "Revolution", even though no fuzz effect was used, it is one of the fuzziest, primal riff's in rock history!!

J

I have several I like my favorite is ZVEX Fuzz Factory it made with unused old stock germanium transistors it's not a copy of any old pedals but sounds like it should be. I also have a Voodoo Lab super fuzz another pedal thats sounds like it escaped from the 60's.

+1. The Fuzz Factory is the most versatile fuzz made IMO. I've got a Tonebender too, and the FF can easily get those tones.

Fuzz can be an intereesting challenge...so many parameters to consider. I have a Behringer Heavy Metal Fuzz with adjustable/scoop mids which permits many approaches to tone and sustain. Then there are the guitar/amp choices to consider...whether to go into a clean amp or one on the edge of OD/Crunch....S/C or H/B?

:unsure:

:-({|=

Silicon being darker and smoother and germanium being more tube amp like and less trebly.

Not exactly. Germanium tends to be darker/less trebly and smoother while silicon is brighter and a little more raspy sounding.

I have a bunch of various Fuzz Face clones (mostly germanium) one of which is silicon and another that is a hybrid germanium/silicon fuzz. Playing by myself, I really like germanium best for it's smoother, more mellow quality but, in a band situation, I find that silicon works better as it doesn't get smothered by everything else.

I *love* fuzz even though I use it sparingly. It is a very unique sound and for me it's another sonic weapon in my tool box of sound. I own both Ge and Si fuzz boxes. By far my favorite is the Fuzz Factory which is odd because I am very knob averse. This pedal does a lot of crazy things, but I bought it for one sound: Velco fuzz. The Fuzz Factory does this sound better than any pedal. Could do without the Gate. My others are a Ge Mosrite Fuzzrite and a Frankenstein'd Si Dunlop Fuzz Face. Ge is infinitely more dynamic, more musical, and more responsive. Si still has its place.

My favorite fuzz sound is the opening guitar riff and octave slide on Wilco's I'm The Man Who Loves You. Jeff Tweedy rocking that Big Cheese fuzz box. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Apologize for the crappy sound quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnEMdXN_FU

By far my favorite is the Fuzz Factory

Without question, the Fuzz Factory is the most versatile fuzz I own and it has some great sounds in it. The only thing it doesn't do great is a more mellow fuzz sound - it does do a good job of it but the only reason I say it isn't great at it is because I have other fuzzes that simply do a better job of it. If you're going to own only one fuzz pedal, the Fuzz Factory is probably the one to get.

That "Wilco" riff is sick, I have worn out two copies of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot....great album! The Fulltone 69 is pretty darn cool, I'm really gassin' for a tone bender clone though...mkii version that Jimmy Page and Dan Aurebach sp? have made popular. I really will go give the Fuzz Factory a shot to feed my need for nasty...

J

Should also add that I owned a Yardbox for a few years. It was my main fuzz with my last band. Great pedal, very versatile, & well built even if some of the pots are backwards (read the reviews). I sold the Yardbox to buy the Fuzz Factory because it just wasn't fitting my style anymore.

I have the infamous Plum Crazy Fx Fuzzy Lady with silicon and germanium transistors...Recently I just got an EXACT Vox 1969 Tonebender circuit from Plum Crazy FX...He did a prototype of 6 models called the King Rasp..I was able to get one, and all I have had to say is wow...It is SPOT on with the original tonebender, and to my ears, ( and a couple of friends who were with me) agreed it was even better. That one had the germanium transistors NOS SFT337v transistor and 1 CV7003 transistor for that vintage raspy sound that is just killer... I also have a Manhoney Acid Fuzz, witch is my highest gain fuzz that just goes off the chain with wicked amounts of gain..I believe that one is silicon trannies. I love fuzz's and have played a decent amount for how long I have been playing...Theres just something special about a fuzzy... [thumbup]

Thanks, evol - very cool!

Ultimately, what I'd like out of a fuzz is one that stays somewhat neutral in the frequency department but gives me that silky fuzz sound so I don't have to screw with other settings when kicking in fuzz. Probably doesn't exist, but I can dream. ;)

So what your saying is Chase is that you want to sell me that King Rasp?! =)

J

lol, I may not have too..I was talking to the maker a couple days ago and he's considering adding either something very close or similar to the King Rasp to his main fuzz line..(thats all he makes, with the exception of the Squawk). I also heard a new fuzz from Devi Ever called the 90's i think?. She stated in her own opinion that it was the best fuzz shes ever built...So I may pick that up as well...but sometimes I find Devi Ever's fuzz's a bit extreme...but its all in ones taste what he or she enjoys in a fuzz.

PS: Great song btw jnasty

Archived