Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson RD is back.

dem00n

Get the RD, the white V can wait!

+1,000,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! msp_scared.gif

Don't even wait man go get that sh!t!!!! The V can totally wait! The RD is probably a limited run! Go get it! NOW! msp_scared.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_scared.gif

This was the guitar that I tried out against the used '75 LPC I ended up buying.......

Then my (now ex) brother in law tried it against a used SG Std, and bought the SG.......

They were a bit awkward "back in the day".

The reissue doesn't look quite right though, was the horn on the origionals not VERY slightly more rounded?

Nice! A friend of mine in highschool had an RD Artist bass that I always thought was really cool looking but... it was a bass. The original RD instruments had some funky electronics designed by Moog; this reissue seems to have more a more traditional layout.

Hey, cool but wasn't the RD supposed to have inboard

electronic ? compressor and expander if I remember

well ... I played one, once, in '78 ...

IIRC, that would be an RD "Artist" with Moog innards.

Nice difference, for collectors, but that was then and

this is now. Old exotic electronics, even a RI version,

can be a headache later on ... especially with Gibby's

infamous user support. If all thaz in the new one is a

normal active EQ/pre, no headache, as replacing the

whole thing is easy and affordable, and available from

multiple suppliers.

`

OK, the originals were Maple Neck and body, these reissues are Mahogany. Original had a 25.5" neck, reissue has 24.75". Original had two volume, two tone, reissue two volume one tone. I'd say instead of calling this a "Reissue" they should just be honest and call it what it is, the "new redesigned" RD Standard. Personally I like the look, just think if they call it a reissue it really should be one. I'm curious if Epi will be getting a version since my wallets too thin for the Gibson version right now.. Here's a couple pics I found of originals..

grd001med.jpg

GibsonRDguitar.jpg

Here are the specs from the original, I did not know they had seperate Bass and Treble controls.

Available: 1977-1979

Pickups: Series VII humbuckers.

Active / Passive: Passive

Scale: 25 1/2"

Body: Maple

Neck: Laminated maple. Rosewood fretboard with dot markers. Unbound.

Width at nut: 1 11/16"

Frets: 22

Hardware: Schaller tuners, tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece. Nickel plated throughout.

Finishes: Natural, Tobacco Sunburst and Walnut.

Notes: Two volume, master treble, master bass controls. 3-way pickup selector.

I quite like them.

It's pretty similar in spec to the original but, as kevin134 mentions, 'Re-issue' is slightly misleading. Perhaps 'Re-interpretation' would be more accurate - though not as 'snappy'!.

I've only ever played one, an 'Artist' model, once and that was a very, very long time ago. I didn't care for the electric circuitry stuff but that would be down to my timidity I expect. I do remember it being comfortable to play whilst seated!

By way of additional info;

There were originally three six-string models and two basses;

The 'Standard' had a pair of series 7 'buckers but no further electronic wizardry as far as I can ascertain. It had a rosewood 'board (Kevin134 has posted full specs above).

The 'Custom' had an active pre-amp circuit and a pair of series 6 p-ups. This model had a maple fingerboard.

The 'Artist', as Golem says, had, in addition to the active bit, the compression/expansion switch. Ebony 'board with large block inlays.

The RD Standard bass had a maple 'board anad passive electronics.

The RD Artist bass also had a maple 'board and shared the 'Artist'-style electronics.

There was also (in 1977) talk about "...a possibility of a 12-string version being introduced, and perhaps a limited number of twin-necks..." but whether any were actually made......

P.

Archived