Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby on SG

Silenced Fred

So I am seriously considering getting an SG Standard (probably buy it used, seeing a ton of them around for dirt cheap because of economy) and I want to put a bigsby on it. I notice less of a problem with neck dives on the Standard (body seems heavier to me, never looked up the weight) but would the addition of a Bigsby further help this issue? Make it stay in better shape. I have no idea of what a Bigsby weighs. It would be a B7 like that one member has on his SG. it looks ridiculously awesome.

Thanks

I personally am used to neck heavy guitars. I don't have problems with them because I always have one hand holding the neck. As far as the Bigsby. The existing bridge holes are not covered very well with the addition of a bigsby. It is very evident that a mod has been made. This may or may not bother you. There are alot of pics where people have made this mod in this forum. I personally would look them up before doing the mod.

Rewd.

I lucked out in that my SG is heavy for an SG and does not have a neck dive problem. Based on the few SG Standards I have played my guess is that the weight of a Bigsby would help a lot with neck dive. Not sure on mounting a B7 since that model is made for solid arch top guitars like Les Pauls, ES335s, and Sheratons (as you know I have a B7 on my Sheraton). Obviously not saying it cannot be done because I have seen tons of photos of them. Just not sure if the unit will sit flush with the body or what kind of jury rigging is required because to me it looks like the unit will come up all the way and cover the stop bar's posts.

I personally am used to neck heavy guitars. I don't have problems with them because I always have one hand holding the neck. As far as the Bigsby. The existing bridge holes are not covered very well with the addition of a bigsby. It is very evident that a mod has been made. This may or may not bother you. There are alot of pics where people have made this mod in this forum. I personally would look them up before doing the mod.

Rewd.

Yeah... truth be told, I wouldn't care if the existing bridge holes are covered or not. I mean, I still have quite a ways before I get one, but I don't like the look of a B5 (no offense to anyone who has one)

Again:

- yes, it's possible to fit a B7 on a SG, I have one on mine. no problems with it, but I will certainly add wedges under the bigsby (near the bridge side of it) to compensate its "archtop fit" original bent shape.

- Vibramate for bigsby B7 don't fit a sg. it is made for les paul guitars. I have tried the vibramate and the hole were not in front of the stud holes, so If you want to ad a B7 on a sg you'll have to drill real holes to tightened it to the guitar.

it's quite easy to do but I wouldn't do that on an expensive custom shop SG reissue.

- On my faded SG, no problem of heavy neck (even if it's a rounded 50's one) and guitar diving on the left (i'm right handed). maybe because of the large rough leather strap i use on it). the B7 may help to give extra weight on the back of the guitar anyway.

sg1w.jpg

Yeah a B7 on an SG looks badass.

So do the strings hit the back of the bridge?

I've been thinking about getting a teal blue flip flop SG Special and modding it. I want to get the vibramate for the short maestro and do that. Short maestros are the bees knees. The teal blue ones are hard to find though and they sell for high prices compared to other Specials.

Fred, as far as the overall weight goes; I played a heavy Les Paul for several years before I ever even picked up an SG. I found a used SG that already had a B5 installed, and it's still lighter than my '94 LP Standard. I don't have any experience on an SG without a Bigsby, so I can't tell you how it might effect the feel and the balance. Of course, a B7 would be a little heavier than a B5.

But, having said all that, I sure do like my SG w/Bigsby. The original bridge post holes are still, at least, partially covered by the Bigsby and not real noticable. To me, the overall look of the guitar more than makes up for the visible evidence of the aftermarket add-on. If you like the look, I say go for it.

Archived