Gibson Brands Forums

Are You In Shape?

heymisterk

Until age 47 I trained pretty much a min of 4 hours a day at different stuff.

Then until 50 maybe an hour or two a day. After 50... life changed and emphasis went on "desk-sitting" a lot more. So... not the working out.

Now... a shade under 160 at a shade under 5-9. Outa shape by a measure of myself at 50. Shattering a leg slowed me down a cupla years ago. Flexibility got lost - I could drop into a full splits even playing guitar until I was around 60 - but whatever.

Now? Yeah, I smoke, take a drink or two a month. Never did drugs. My biggest bad habit, though, is borrowing against sleep. If I can make it, I'll likely be paying that back for the next 50 years. <grin>

6' even and Trim. Not "Cut" but not "Flabby". I hiked to the top of San Gorgonio when I was 28 and I could do it again today, haven't smoked a "Cigarette" in over 10 years, I can play 5 sets and still rock an After Party (when I play in lower altitudes I don't even get winded, Mountain living is it's own reward). I tip a few beers every other weekend, and I love Famous Amos chocolate Chip Cookies.

I guess my main vice is drinking. I keep it under control, but I definitely overindulge sometimes. Again, love beer and wine. I actually belong to a couple of California wine clubs, and I am always on the lookout for good stuff that is reasonably priced. I love beer too. There is a gay couple that live across the street from me and the "man" in the relationship is really into wine and beer too, so we hang out a lot, drink a lot, and pontificate a lot. My girlfriend, on the other hand, doesn't drink much, so that has been a good influence on me.

I can't do without physical activity. At times in my life when I wasn't staying in shape I suffered bouts of depression and panic. If you don't get some sort of exercise, START! It pays off in spades. Plus, my girlfriend teaches various fitness classes, so her being in shape keeps ME in shape...and that pays off in many ways... [biggrin]

I cycle to work and lift weights for literally 5 minutes per day.

I drink some every night. Increases your HDL cholesterol (the good kind). Don't drive if I've had some - but I make no excuses and enjoy it with dinner.

6' even and Trim. Not "Cut" but not "Flabby". I hiked to the top of San Gorgonio when I was 28 and I could do it again today, haven't smoked a "Cigarette" in over 10 years, I can play 5 sets and still rock an After Party (when I play in lower altitudes I don't even get winded, Mountain living is it's own reward). I tip a few beers every other weekend, and I love Famous Amos chocolate Chip Cookies.

San Gorgonio? That is one heck of a hike, I know the area well, ever been up Tahquitz Canyon?

San Gorgonio? That is one heck of a hike, I know the area well, ever been up Tahquitz Canyon?

Never been up there, but it looks pretty interesting. I like hiking to nice locations like waterfalls. San G has a spectacular view from the top, I went up the Vivian Creek way, dryer and steeper than the North side, but a much more direct route. If I do it again it will be the Longer scenic route that takes you by Dollar Lake.

Never been up there, but it looks pretty interesting. I like hiking to nice locations like waterfalls. San G has a spectacular view from the top, I went up the Vivian Creek way, dryer and steeper than the North side, but a much more direct route. If I do it again it will be the Longer scenic route that takes you by Dollar Lake.

There are several waterfalls in Tahquitz Canyon, it isn't open to the public like it was in the 1960's but you can still get a permit to hike the area, don't try it in the summer! It is one of the hidden jewels of Southern Cal..

Archived