Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations for the strings for open G tuning

Reiska666

I bought recently secondhand DM-33H dobro, model 1994.

The setup is done with standard tuning, I presume with .012-.053 strings.

I planned to use it with open G tuning for bottleneck playing.

Any recommendations for new string set for that?

As the action is now fairly low,dropping the tuning may causes some buzzing.

What gauge set you are using for open G?

When I was "attempting" to learn how to play slide many years ago, I posed this same question to the music educator and publisher Mel Bay. I was setting a guitar up for open "D" tuning figuring it would be easier to understand due to it only being a step off from "E". We talked about the tuning and associated string gauges so as to maintain proper neck tension, and string flexibility.

Although the information he gave me for open "D" tuning will have no bearing on your desired "G" tuning, you are on the right track in understanding that the string gauges do need to be compensated for the alternative tuning. I believe there is a specific string set made for "G" tuning on a lap steel. I'm not sure if that will be of any help either due to the scale length difference.

Some string manufacturers list string tensions on their websites for various gauges tuned to different pitches, or the information may be available elsewhere on the www. The total neck tension, and individual string tensions, can be expressed in a mathematical formula. The goal is pretty much to achieve the same individual string tension by compensating string gauge for the change in pitch, therefor maintaining the same total neck tension. Research and arithmetic it all it takes.

Just for fun, here is the handwritten note from Mel Bay on the open "D" tuning.

2989861759_b6eb3bdf34.jpg

Go to this site, enter the current string gauges (standard tuning), change the specified tuning and plug in various string gauges to see what gets you closest to the original total and has fairly even tensions from string to string.

Thanks, that calculator was handy.

D´Addario has also tension calculator on their web site,

conclusion after google work :) is to make the first try with these:

JOHN PEARSE 790NR RESONATOR GUITAR SET

Spanish (Round) Neck Resophonic - Strings are phosphor bronze,

013 017 026w 036w 046w 056w.

These are the strings that National Reso-phonic uses on their guitars.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I think you are better off staying with the 12's. I never had any problems with buzz except for the low D which isn't played that often in the G tuning. I had more issues in a D tuning but not really bad overall. I think having the 12's work better for fingering notes to accompany the slide work.

As far as a maker of strings oddly enough Gibson acoustic were a favorite of mine, but hard to find locally. I had a shop by the office that would sell single sets for $6 but you couldn't get a lower price for set's of 10. They lasted well, but when you play an hour everyday with metal fingerpicks they all start to lose their luster in 6 or 7 days.

Archived