Gibson Brands Forums

SJ 300 Custom

GT Hurley

I have been playing and loving my 2005 Gibson SJ 300 custom. Rosewood back and sides aged natural spruce top and maple neck. This guitar does not have the volume control inside the sound hole as do the later manufactured guitars. I would like to see if anyone else has one of these wonderful instruments and find a little history out about it. It was sent back to Gibson Montana recently and I have nothing but good things to say about service and followup. The rep even threw in a new pick guard as mine was (and still is) loosing it's flowers. For those of you out there playing one of these, what strings are you using, and why? I prefer so far medium gauge and go with D'Addario or Martin Phosphorbronze in each. Does anyone have Elixir on their axe and what do you think of them? Thanks for the help!

• 4 months later...

I have been playing and loving my 2005 Gibson SJ 300 custom. Rosewood back and sides aged natural spruce top and maple neck. This guitar does not have the volume control inside the sound hole as do the later manufactured guitars. I would like to see if anyone else has one of these wonderful instruments and find a little history out about it. It was sent back to Gibson Montana recently and I have nothing but good things to say about service and followup. The rep even threw in a new pick guard as mine was (and still is) loosing it's flowers. For those of you out there playing one of these, what strings are you using, and why? I prefer so far medium gauge and go with D'Addario or Martin Phosphorbronze in each. Does anyone have Elixir on their axe and what do you think of them? Thanks for the help!

Thats a beautiful guitar u have there,I have a J-185 and am loving her,I tried Elixir strings but was not impressed,im sticking with Daddarios now just put a set of exps and am loving them. Jeff

Thats a beautiful guitar u have there,I have a J-185 and am loving her,I tried Elixir strings but was not impressed,im sticking with Daddarios now just put a set of exps and am loving them. Jeff

Jeff,

I have also gone back to the D'Addarios. I liked the Elixirs however I feel the brightness suffers due to the coating. I was also looking at a JC-185 not long ago. Very nice instrument. I do feel that a Luthier's touch is need to one of these guitars to sound and play as well as they should.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived