Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Mahogany Explorer

Riffster

A while back on Henry's forum I suggested to fit Natural Explorers with classic 57's since that color Explorer seems to appeal more to "classic rockers" than metal fans.

Well I don't know if this is sort of a response to that or just a coincidence.

I could not find the model on the Gibson website.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Mahogany-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=527156

Well the normal Explorer from the USA line is still in production, this "Mahogany" model is a Custom Shop model and looks to have the '58 specs minus the Korina wood hence they are calling it Mahogany...and look at the price.

Well the normal Explorer from the USA line is still in production, this "Mahogany" model is a Custom Shop model and looks to have the '58 specs minus the Korina wood hence they are calling it Mahogany...and look at the price.

Yeah, the price is not that bad. It SHOULD be closer to the regular explorer since same woods etc...I'm sure these don't cost much more to make, if at all.

The body seems to be one piece by looking at the Cherry Faded color pics, that's about the only thing that should make it a little pricier.

also, notice the lower bout tip is more rounded than a current production Explorer, you can see tell by the pickguard contour.

Yea, the strap buttons are on the 1958 styling as well.

I am not a big fan of strap buttons on the back of the neck but when you have to you have to.

That is a pretty sharp angle on that strap button even with strap locks.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, thats how they were in 58 if im correct.

I believe you!

But what about Custom Shop? Are they stuck in "only 58 style-dot" fretboards will sell? If so, why?

We've had LP Standard since then and SG Standard since '62, so why not better inlays @ CS?

Archived