Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversary Les Paul

Jsolo

I just received my brand new 50th Anniversary Les Paul "Black Beauty"

I love the way it feels, plays and sounds.

But.... after playing for about 10-15 minutes the neck gets very sticky and appears to have some "gunky" residue on it.

I called Gibson customer service and was advised to wipe down the neck with Naptha and to leave the guiutar case open to let it "air-out".

I've owned countless guitars over the years - Gibsons included - and have never had this sort of problem.

It seems strange to me that a new instrument, costing $5000. should have such a problem.

I'm also a bit hesitant to be using Naptha on new Nitro finish.

Has anybody else had this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just received my brand new 50th Anniversary Les Paul "Black Beauty"

I love the way it feels, plays and sounds.

But.... after playing for about 10-15 minutes the neck gets very sticky and appears to have some "gunky" residue on it.

I called Gibson customer service and was advised to wipe down the neck with Naptha and to leave the guiutar case open to let it "air-out".

I've owned countless guitars over the years - Gibsons included - and have never had this sort of problem.

It seems strange to me that a new instrument, costing $5000. should have such a problem.

I'm also a bit hesitant to be using Naptha on new Nitro finish.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Where did u pick that one up? I've been looking for one,but cant seem to find one anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions?Thanks,Jeff

Jeff:

After scouring he country....

A friend of mine at The Guitar Center was able to locate one for me.

My understanding is that it was the last new one available... anywhere.

Best of Luck

ps: I solved the "gunky" neck problem by wiping the neck down with some VM&P Naptha... worked like a charm.

• 3 months later...

I plan on secretly cleaning my friends guitar with that stuff for his birthday (next month); hes always complained about the stickiness when hes jamming hard (However, I cant recall if it was a Gibson guitar). I'll spend the $5 and surprise him for his b-day; what are friends for?! lol [confused]

Archived