Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jantha

What brand of strings do you prefer?

I'm sure this has been done before.. but I'm curious what everyone else prefers.

I like GHS Boomers. I think they sound good and I've never had any issues with them. I had a friend recommend them to me many years ago, and that's just what I've stuck with.

Gibson Vintage until they closed down the plant in Elgin, Illinois.

Last bulk box I bought was D'Addario.

EXL 110 I think.

High nickel content is my preference.

10's on everything I own.

DR Pure Blues 11's with a 60 gauge 6th string to achieve dropped A. I think I might be diggin' these new Dunlop Heavy Core strings as well. They have a thicker core to keep that beefy tension.

Usually Ernie Balls for 30+ years on electrics. Various on acoustics, violins violas mandolins banjoes etc. Anything cheap for my basses.

Gibson/Epi/Agile electrics.....Ernie Ball Regulars....10-46

Fender/SX electrics.....Ernie Ball Supers....9-42

Dreadnaught Acoustics......D'addario Phosphor Bronze.....13-52

Jumbo/Super Jumbo Acoustics......D'addario 80/20 (Brass)......13-52

This has been my standard for decades

Either Ernie Ball SLinkys (cuz I got a great price on them) or Dunlops (looking for that sponsorship baby)

Acoustics, gotta be Dunlop. I love the way they feel and at 7 bucks a pack retail, not too bad

Electrics - Gibson Vintage Reissues; 11s only.

Acoustics - Martin Marquis; 12s

Q: If Gibson closed their string factory in Illinois, where are they making them now? Think they outsourced and are making them in Michigan?

Super Slinkys because that's what the music store I went to 30 years ago used. I've used Dean Markleys when Slinkys weren't available, but I can't imagine much difference from brand to brand.

I use D'addario nickel wound.

They sound good, and they come in packaging that is not only environmentally correct, but it also keeps the strings from corroding before they are opened.

I bought a few packs of DR nickel wound strings once, and by the time I got to the 3rd set, they were rusting in the package. I suppose that wouldn't matter if you lived anywhere but near the ocean, but it does matter here.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I've posted this before on a similar thread. If you haven't tried these before, you should if you like bright, very long lasting strings:

thi-rp110_md.jpg

Do any of you use coated strings? I use titanium coated 10's on all my electrics.

I used titanium slinkys on all of my guitars when I first got my Gibson. However, I couldn't get a set to last more than a few weeks getting corroded and breaking.

Regular for me, last way longer

I used titanium slinkys on all of my guitars when I first got my Gibson. However, I couldn't get a set to last more than a few weeks getting corroded and breaking.

Regular for me, last way longer

Hmmm.....thats very strange. eusa_think.gif You had the opposite result from my experience. I've never had them even start to corrode and I never ever broken one. In my experience they last forever.

Hmmm.....thats very strange. eusa_think.gif You had the opposite result from my experience. I've never had them even start to corrode and I never ever broken one. In my experience they last forever.

Three sets in two months. After I spent 30 bucks on those, I decided to spend 25 and get a 12 pack of Dunlops. I am a convert