Gibson Brands Forums

What brand of strings do you prefer?

Jantha

Three sets in two months. After I spent 30 bucks on those, I decided to spend 25 and get a 12 pack of Dunlops. I am a convert

Are you sure that it was the strings? It may have been the way you wrapped them around the tuning pegs. I have just recently been enlightened on how to wrap the strings around the strings around the tuning pegs. Now, even though my strings are only 2 days old, they stay in tune like they've been there for a couple months. Also, I have an old squier tele thats had these strings on it for almost a year and it still holds tune to a certain extent. Also still no corrosion.

Are you sure that it was the strings? It may have been the way you wrapped them around the tuning pegs. I have just recently been enlightened on how to wrap the strings around the strings around the tuning pegs. Now, even though my strings are only 2 days old, they stay in tune like they've been there for a couple months. Also, I have an old squier tele thats had these strings on it for almost a year and it still holds tune to a certain extent. Also still no corrosion.

Yup. Even if I didn't, it doesn't explain the corrosion. The guy at SamAsh almost **** himself when he saw my strings because he knew I just bought the pack two weeks prior.

Might have been a bad batch, but for 10 bucks a set, I'm not going back

AS has been said, this is a common thread - and made almost more interesting by the fact that apparently most wire for strings comes from the same factory.

Anyway in the olden days if varied more. My SG type always wore Guild 8-38. Now Ernies in the same size. I should try the Gibsons perhaps.

Nowadays.. 9-42 Elixir on all other electrics. Elixir whatever the lightest on the big Ovation and I'm trying out some Zebra 9-42 AE strings on the cute little Epi AE I just got.

The AE Ovation nylon string... I've never had a fave. Mostly what I could find whenever.

m

AS has been said, this is a common thread - and made almost more interesting by the fact that apparently most wire for strings comes from the same factory.

Anyway in the olden days if varied more. My SG type always wore Guild 8-38. Now Ernies in the same size. I should try the Gibsons perhaps.

Nowadays.. 9-42 Elixir on all other electrics. Elixir whatever the lightest on the big Ovation and I'm trying out some Zebra 9-42 AE strings on the cute little Epi AE I just got.

The AE Ovation nylon string... I've never had a fave. Mostly what I could find whenever.

m

9s on your acoustic?

Geez... I use 10s on my electrics, 12s on the acoustics...

Genarally it's D'Addario 10s for my electric and Dean Markley on my acoustic.

I tried the Webstrings for a while. They seemed OK at first. But I didn't like the way they're packed, and they are the only strings I have broken in years. So I went back to D'Addario's.

Nathan...

You've gotta remember I'm functionally a fingerpicker only.

So... Basically with the light strings I can play as if it's classical style pickin'.

My only problems come if I try to overplay. Nice and gentle and let the amp do the work is the secret.

m

Oops, I shoulda looked in the Les Paul section first.. there's a thread about strings over there. Oh well, forums are for conversation, right? [biggrin]

How do you like those Elixirs, Milod? I've been thinking about buying a pack just to see what the hype is about.

I use everything from cheap to expensive, for most guitars I always change brands when changing strings, gibsons always get ernie ball 10s. My #1 gets a set I make using a the 1st string of a d'addario 10 set, and strings #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 of a d'addario 012 flatwound set as 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. Best thing I've ever done, I find most other guitars unconfortable (ends up being expensive and 6 strings go to waste).

Nathan...

You've gotta remember I'm functionally a fingerpicker only.

So... Basically with the light strings I can play as if it's classical style pickin'.

My only problems come if I try to overplay. Nice and gentle and let the amp do the work is the secret.

m

Gotcha. I wanna get a good classical guitar, only have a 150 dollar Yamaha (still sounds pretty good IMO) but yeah, I am pretty brutal on the strings. Tons of bends and bashing.

That is true, now I want to put some 10s on my acoustic... needs a strings change anyways

I love the Elixirs.

I tried some other "coated" stuff, but I like the way the Elixirs feel as well as how they sound. They are versatile enough for jazz sound or more of an acoustic sound even at 9-42 on the jazz box. Not perfect perhaps, but for what and how I play, I'm sold on 'em.

I bend some too on some of the old fingerpickin' blues or even more modern blues I fingerpick anyway. <grin> But the Elixirs seem to survive.

The complaints I've seen on 'em seem to come from flatpickers who are a bit tough on 'em that way.

Another thing... in the old days I used silk 'n' steels a lot. Nowadays I think the regular 9-42 are fine and don't sound so tinny. Although the SG-type '70s Guild gets even lighter strings. Again, I figure let the amp do the work.

I used to be too hard on strings too. I think it's a matter of "Gee, I gotta play louder." Naaah.

EDIT: Pixel, welcome to the club! It's always nice to have the ladies chime in. There are some "regulars" who manage to survive the boys' comments. <grin> Hope you end up one of 'em. It's good folks no matter what it looks like sometimes.

m

Archived