Gibson Brands Forums

Lightest weight LP?

Tamerlane

Since I'm getting old and cranky, I'm starting to develop a hankering from lightweight guitars that don't cause me back pain. I never listened to my Dad when he said "Stand up straight!" Turns out, he was right. Anyway, my question is, what is the lightest weight Les Paul model, taking into account that weights vary a lot even within the same model and type, etc. I like the sound of the SG, but really dislike the look, so I've considered the LP Special, LP Studio, and even the much more expensive Les Paul Florentine. What are some real world weights for various models? Is there any hope of a Les Paul that weighs in under 7 pounds?

There are Les Paul Studios that come in at 7 pounds or a little over. A lot of online sales places (the better ones) have the weight listed, because like you and I, there are plenty of guys out there with back problems, shoulder problems, etc. And it does seem that Gibson is making some lighter weight LP's, you just have to look hard for them. I spotted a LP Studio Faded on Sweetwater that was 6 lb 8 oz. Very different from my friend Dave's 12-lb 70s LP custom.

There are of course people who say that a lighter-weight Les Paul doesn't sound the same as a heavyweight version, but until I can see the proof laid out in numbers, I'm not buying into that. Eric Johnson might be able to tell the difference, but I can't. Good luck on your quest.

My old BFG was right at around 7 lbs, if not less; so, yes, it is possible. If I were you, I'd just head to a music store (Guitar Center, whatever) and just try a bunch of new LPs out. The LP Traditional and anything from the Custom Shop will be the heaviest (except for the chambered reissues but I doubt you'll find many of those hanging on the wall). Everything else that's fairly new should be chambered and relatively light.

Thanks for all the responses. Nice to know I'm not alone in the messed-up back department.

Seems like it just depends mainly on the individual guitar, rather than the model. I'll start sampling the studio and standard models at local shops - and maybe a Lite model, if I can find one.

My LP Studio faded mahogany comes in at a shade under 6.5 pounds. Don't know if I got a light one or if other FMs are in the same weight range.

Doug -

Exactly the same. My 2009 Studio Worn Brown weighs in at 6.5lb. Its also one of the lower cost LP`3, delivering a very nice LP tone.

High recommend you give one a try

IMG_2912-1.jpg

A buddy of mine recently threw my '79 KM on a digital scale at work, and found it to be, as I recall, roughly 11.5 lb. Trust me, I can tell when I've been gigging a lot! I get a knot by my left shoulder blade about the size of a golf ball! Thankfully, my girlfriend realizes this, and quickly goes to work on that spot whenever she's around!

I don't know if this is true or not, but somebody once told me that the 50's Lesters weren't known to be heavy, because the old-growth wood that was used in them didn't have to be dense in order to be toneful. You might try buying one from '57-'59, and see how that works out, though you might have to pick up a second, third, fourth, and fifth job, in order to pay for it!

Otherwise, if you have difficulty finding a lighter weight model that sounds good (and, from what I've heard, this isn't at all easy to do), there is a strap maker that has a special strap that caters to back troubles. It's got straps to go over each shoulder, and around the chest, to hook in the front. It distributes the weight of the guitar much more evenly around the chest cavity, rather than awkwardly on one shoulder.

The chambered models generally run around 8 lbs. I've heard of some closer to 7. My chambered gold top (7.9 lbs according to my digital bathroom scale) feels like a light, fluffy cloud compared to my weight-relieved standard faded which is 10 pounds (which is still not the back-breaker the old customs were).

Since I'm getting old and cranky, I'm starting to develop a hankering from lightweight guitars that don't cause me back pain. I never listened to my Dad when he said "Stand up straight!" Turns out, he was right. Anyway, my question is, what is the lightest weight Les Paul model, taking into account that weights vary a lot even within the same model and type, etc. I like the sound of the SG, but really dislike the look, so I've considered the LP Special, LP Studio, and even the much more expensive Les Paul Florentine. What are some real world weights for various models? Is there any hope of a Les Paul that weighs in under 7 pounds?

I would suggest a chambered one, the weight difference is obvious.

Nicolas

• 2 weeks later...

Archived