Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gratedmb21

Melody Maker aftermarket upgrades

So my friend purchased a 2010 Gibson Melody Maker. He pretty much wants it to be 'the' electric for his needs. Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket upgrades for his guitar? I completely gutted my Les Paul Standard Premium Plus, but that was after months of forum recommendations. I'm not too familiar with aftermarket upgrades regarding a Melody Maker. Can anyone please help?

Hmm, if he wants to go all out.

Id change the pups, change the pots and add a nice capacitor. Also a bone nut, Mabye buy a adjustable bridge if he likes to mess with the intonation.

I say go for boutique pickups if he wants to go all out. :D

Oh for pots i recommned RS guitarworks.

Or do what I did, which was to get it nice an playable, without swapping any electrics.

I put a new bone nut on mine, and have fiddled around with bridges on it too.

But just my opinion or course, but the stock pickup and electrics in these are pretty good for a budget guitar. [thumbup]

The pickup has a really nice P90 quality to it, and the tone and volume controls are the most responsive I have found on any guitar recently. I'm not changing a thing about the electrics on mine, the bugbear for me is getting intonation to be a bit better.

I'd set it up nicely to play well, and play it for a bit before doing any pickup/electrics mods [smile]

The nut is all I would replace and that is if it was needed only. The guitar is perfect as is or perfectly imperfect. The pickup is unique.There is nothing on the after market that would be an improvement.Change out the bridge to an adjustable or even just a compensated bridge and the guitar will lose a large chunk its charm. If your friend wants to replace everything that makes it a Melody Maker he just might want to look at buying a different guitar.YMMV B) [woot][thumbup]

The only change I made on my 2007 dual pickup Melody Maker was to switch the stock wraparound bridge for a compensated wraparound. The one I used is stamped with the part number TPBR-8513 on the bottom. I've read that this bridge is used by Gibson on some of their vintage reissues, although I can't confirm this. I was never able to set the intonation correctly with the stock bridge but with the new one I can set it perfectly. It's an exact fit on the stock studs.