Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's Revolution

Silenced Fred

Well, thanks for the kind words. I am pretty stoked about what this guitar can do, and it's a shame to see it being dismissed by people who've never actually had a chance to play it. On the other hand, I completely understand. When I first heard about a guitar with "on-board effects," I automatically assumed "epic fail." Who wouldn't, based on the track record of those types of products? But as I worked with the effects and realized this was far deeper than just bolting a fuzztone on the inside, I became a convert. Just the fact that gain-staging can be totally optimized for the guitar pickup levels is a huge deal--the guitar is amazingly quiet at high-gain settings with major compression (part of that is because the pickups have lots of output). Impedances are also matched all along the chain, and the purity of the sound is uncanny. Unfortunately, these are things you only get to experience after logging time with the guitar, and all of a sudden going "Hey, I just realized there isn't any hiss!"

I still don't think it's for everyone by a long shot, and taste is such a personal thing, but there's merit to what Gibson is doing. Whether Firebird X is the ideal embodiment or not is open to question--the pricing is obviously a big issue--but I can't help but think back on other technology that was too much for the public at first (e.g., Yamaha DX1) but then morphed into something that struck a nerve (DX7).

As to the "Luddite" comments, I thought that was way over the top but I didn't attend the press conference so I only had hearsay to go by. However, Jon Chappell of Harmony Central did attend, and I asked him what was up with that. Well, he recorded the press conference, so he had the entire exchange on tape. Here's what he sent to me:

"Attached is the audio excerpt containing the infamous 'Luddite' reference. (This is why I’ve gotten in the habit of recording press conferences and other meetings.) You can hear that Henry is clearly not disparaging his customer base when he repeats the word 'Luddite,' but is playing off that term, previously introduced by an audience member. And in the context of his answer, he’s actually defending that so-called group by explaining why Gibson will still continue to make guitars for them (“It’s all about choice ...”). Dang, the forums can be snarky (remember my editorial 'It’s a short ride from masked ball to hooded mob'). BTW, the person asking the question was actually Jay Jay French--one of the guest artists and a Gibson ally."

I'll take Jon's word over anyone else's about what actually happened, and the audio supports what he says 100%. His assessment was that the press conference was far from a grand-slam and generally ill-prepared, but it wasn't the debacle it's been described as, either. He also had a chance to check out the guitar, and said it's very playable--he really liked the feel.

Eventually that whole press conference brouhaha will fade, and people will evaluate the guitar on its merits--which is what this should all be about, anyway. And frankly, some people will love it, and some will hate it because it is so different from the norm. But there's no need for either side to look down on the other for their opinion. It's just a guitar :)

Can't seem to find that attachment. I also went over to Harmony Central and couldn't find it there either. What I did find was 56 pages of negative postings about this guitar and Gibson in general. Harry. The peasants are at the palace gates. What are you going to do? Just tell them to eat cake?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see they finally did a Stevie Wonder signature model.

Just kidding, Stevie rocks.

I do applaud Gibson for not resting on their laurels and trying to forge something new. Historically some of Gibson's new guitar ideas seem to initially meet with failure, only to become rare sought-after oddities years later (I'm still hunting for a Rebel Invader and have yet to even see one in person or for sale.) I suppose time will tell whether they were ahead of the game or just out of touch. Aesthetically I think it's heinous but that's just me, I'm not a huge fan of non-reverse Firebirds. But I'll reserve my full opinion until they come out and I can at least play one.

And if it is a marketing ploy to get us to find the Chad Kroeger LP more appealing, I think it's working on me.

-A proud Luddite

GibsonFirewoodX.jpg

If I had given that kind of lifeless, unenthusiastic, read-from-the-slides presentation when I was getting my degree they would have kicked me out of the College of Business. Henry Juszkiewicz please watch Steve Jobs and take notes to learn how to unveil a new "revolutionary" product.

GibsonFirewoodX.jpg

If I had given that kind of lifeless, unenthusiastic, read-from-the-slides presentation when I was getting my degree they would have kicked me out of the College of Business. Henry Juszkiewicz please watch Steve Jobs and take notes to learn how to unveil a new "revolutionary" product.

[lol] Perfect- Right click, save pic as... Done... Love it!

GibsonFirewoodX.jpg

This is good. Very good. msp_thumbup.gif

I would have liked to had that SG he smashed. It was a lot nicer than my faded that I could barely afford to purchase.

How bout some real engineering on these guitars instead of blowing smoke up our ***. For example:

Advanced adhesives that promote increased resonance and sustain;

Lightweight composites that mimic/combine the attributes of genuine tonewoods;

Modal analysis to optimize body shape, routing/bracing, and component placement;

Wear/Corrosion resistant finishes;

High Temperature Coatings for robot guitars to protect them while they burn in hell...etc.

I looked through some databases for scholarly articles pertaining to the above topics and found basically nothing. There is a lot of potential in this area.

Instead of sticking technology on a guitar and calling it revolution, they could use it to improve a traditional design and let it speak for itself.

My $0.02

I'm so happy I bought this when I did (It's a 2008 USA version). Now This is a Firebird.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

IMG_1694.jpg

The way it looks reminds of that episode of Family Guy where Stewie cloned himself and Brian. Anyone else see that one? "B!tch Stewie"....you see where I'm going with this......

I'd give it a shot if I had the chance just to see how it felt etc, but I would never buy one. I use a basic guitar and a tube powered half stack with no effects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow... so it's actually real? What the hell happened to sitting out on your front porch, whiskey in hand, cigar in mouth and just playing away on a small 10W tube amp? [crying].

Waaaal, it was the loss of a friend due to cirrhosis and the photos of the mouth and throat cancer patients that took some of the charm of that image away. Townhouse living sorta screwed the pooch on the tube amp (modeling and headphones took over) and what the hell is a front porch?

Archived