Gibson Brands Forums

I'm a proud luddite

Spike~

Ok I have thought about this and actually that little performance yesterday Mr J dissed each and everyone of us; Gibson customers.

That's the way I feel about it. It's not necessarily the new technology that bothers me.. I feel like Mr. J kinda smacked all of us that have funded his company.

I'm not really that bent out of shape over it, but I think he should have thought it out a little better.

I can think of a few ways you can make it up to me Henry.. feel free to PM me! [flapper]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's speech was like a middle finger to us who love old school LPs and SGs, so I'm just giving one back, no more, no less.

I don't disagree aboot the middle finger. It was lame. But they are still making old school LPs and SGs right?

Also, like I said, Hank ain't lookin on this site to receive your middle finger...head over to his forum and he might see it. :)

That's the way I feel about it. It's not necessarily the new technology that bothers me.. I feel like Mr. J kinda smacked all of us that have funded his company.

I'm not really that bent out of shape over it, but I think he should have thought it out a little better.

I can think of a few ways you can make it up to me Henry.. feel free to PM me! [flapper]

If he had a hair on his a$$, he'd ship a sample to those who carp the most to see if their minds could be changed.

I'd be pleased to ship it right back when I'm done - and make a fair review of it.

Not holding my breath, because I suspect that it's not about if it's a decent piece.

There are tons of sheeple who think Gibson should make only the guitars used to record mainstream classic rock radio hits. Many just flat sh!t their britches when confronted with something that deviates from regularly scheduled programming.

IMHO Robot guitars are a cheesy gimmick & are far, far from 'revolutionary' -- the Firebird is almost a 50 year old design for Christ's sake (although I must say this is the best looking non-reverse body silhouette I've ever seen). So in the context of HJ's exaggerated language I think "Luddites" goes with the flow.

At the end of the day, nobody's gonna boycott squat. Vast numbers of consumers will buy new Gibsons primarily because they're fanboys of some schmuck who played one.

There are tons of sheep who think Gibson should make only the guitars used to record mainstream classic rock radio hits. Many just flat sh!t their britches when confronted with something that deviates from regularly scheduled programming.

IMHO Robot guitars are a cheesy gimmick & are far, far from 'revolutionary' -- the Fire bird is almost a 50 year old design for Christ's sake (although I must say this is the best looking non-reverse body silhouette I've ever seen). So in the context of H's exaggerated language I think "Luddites" goes with the flow.

At the end of the day, nobody's gonna boycott squat. Vast numbers of consumers will buy new Gibsons primarily because they're fanboys of some schmuck who played one.

Oh so much truth...yet so many people will be blind to it.

Reminds me of commmunism in Russia.

There are tons of sheeple who think Gibson should make only the guitars used to record mainstream classic rock radio hits. Many just flat sh!t their britches when confronted with something that deviates from regularly scheduled programming.

IMHO Robot guitars are a cheesy gimmick & are far, far from 'revolutionary' -- the Firebird is almost a 50 year old design for Christ's sake (although I must say this is the best looking non-reverse body silhouette I've ever seen). So in the context of HJ's exaggerated language I think "Luddites" goes with the flow.

That was a reasonable response so i'll post a reasonable question.

Who is the Firebird X for?

Apparently it's not for us, because we're Luddites who cling to old designs. Is it for beginner guitarists? Well with a pricetag of $5500 I doubt it. People seem to be assuming that even though we all hate them, they're going to sellout anyway. I don't see that happening, not at that price. There's a few people who have positive things to say about the Firebird X, but most if not all of their arguements boil down to "yea, it looks like it would be fun to play with". I bet you that opinion changes when they see the pricetag. It's a gamble that isn't worth burning a $5500 hole in your wallet.

I used to have a Fender Frontman 25W amp, and it had the same amount of amp modeling and built in effects that the Firebird X does. It was 150$. The super-advanced techo guitar Firebird still needs an amp to play, so any digital amp renders it useless. Apparently this is for upper-middle class guitarists who only play at gigs using P.A systems.

Apparently it's not for us, because we're Luddites who cling to old designs. Is it for beginner guitarists? Well with a pricetag of $5500 I doubt it. People seem to be assuming that even though we all hate them, they're going to sellout anyway. I don't see that happening, not at that price. There's a few people who have positive things to say about the Firebird X, but most if not all of their arguements boil down to "yea, it looks like it would be fun to play with". I bet you that opinion changes when they see the pricetag. It's a gamble that isn't worth burning a $5500 hole in your wallet.

I used to have a Fender Frontman 25W amp, and it had the same amount of amp modeling and built in effects that the Firebird X does. It was 150$. The super-advanced techo guitar Firebird still needs an amp to play, so any digital amp renders it useless.

Show us your pedalboard!

(Dang it! I tried to send you a plus, but I'm out for the day!)

I used to have a Fender Frontman 25W amp, and it had the same amount of amp modeling and built in effects that the Firebird X does. It was 150$. The super-advanced techo guitar Firebird still needs an amp to play, so any digital amp renders it useless. Apparently this is for upper-middle class guitarists who only play at gigs using P.A systems.

People said the same thing about the DF and DS, and they did pretty damn well.

Show us your pedalboard!

(Dang it! I tried to send you a plus, but I'm out for the day!)

Haha, my pedalboard is nothing to brag about. It's not even a board actaully because I don't have enough pedals to need one, lol. I mostly use a Boss Blues Driver though my Super Champ. Then I also have a Russian Big Muff, and an MXR Stereo Chorus.

Haha, my pedalboard is nothing to brag about. It's not even a board actaully because I don't have enough pedals to need one, lol. I mostly use a Boss Blues Driver though my Super Champ. Then I also have a Russian Big Muff, and an MXR Stereo Chorus.

Well well - none of that is crammed into the Fireturd, now is it?

I skew towards being a Luddite. I think progress and technology is good, but I don't think we should embrace technology for the sake of technology.

Just because you put a power cord or battery on it doesn't make it work faster or even better. Too much of technology comes down the pike using the Microsoft or Schick/Gillette marketing approach. Sell them something, then hold back the latest technology until you've saturated the market. Then release the 'New and improved' version of it to generate buzz, new found market interest and a buying frenzy. Look how grown adults will debase themselves to stand in line for days on end to be the first to get the new igotit phone. Or SmartBookPad. <_<

Too many times all this technology does one of two things: slows down the process by hyperovercomplexifying it or just separates you from a gob of money for little actual new benefit... or both. And, "Oh, so sorry. No, you cannot upgrade your old ________ isn't compatible. You will have to purchase a new one. You can toss your 2 year old __________ in this box here and we'll donate it to the needy so it stays out of the land fill. See how Green and compassionate we are?" [biggrin]

I'll stand back, in my cozy little home and watch as people freeze their fingers waiting to spend two month's wages for the next shiny new gewgaw to come out of the Silicon Valley. And then when it is 3 generations old I'll buy it for $5.00 on their garage sale, unless I can negotiate them down to $1.00 [sneaky]

I skew towards being a Luddite. I think progress and technology is good, but I don't think we should embrace technology for the sake of technology.

Just because you put a power cord or battery on it doesn't make it work faster or even better. Too much of technology comes down the pike using the Microsoft or Schick/Gillette marketing approach. Sell them something, then hold back the latest technology until you've saturated the market. Then release the 'New and improved' version of it to generate buzz, new found market interest and a buying frenzy. Look how grown adults will debase themselves to stand in line for days on end to be the first to get the new igotit phone. Or SmartBookPad. <_<

Too many times all this technology does one of two things: slows down the process by hyperovercomplexifying it or just separates you from a gob of money for little actual new benefit... or both. And, "Oh, so sorry. No, you cannot upgrade your old ________ isn't compatible. You will have to purchase a new one. You can toss your 2 year old __________ in this box here and we'll donate it to the needy so it stays out of the land fill. See how Green and compassionate we are?" [biggrin]

I'll stand back, in my cozy little home and watch as people freeze their fingers waiting to spend two month's wages for the next shiny new gewgaw to come out of the Silicon Valley. And then when it is 3 generations old I'll buy it for $5.00 on their garage sale, unless I can negotiate them down to $1.00 [sneaky]

Dude, I have to agree with you. I'm starting to wonder if ole Henry is trying to be another Steve Jobs.

I too, wait awhile before buying technology. One of the smartest thing a consumer with a smaller pocket book could do.

Do you guys think Henry is looking on here and getting upset about you changing your stuff to luddites?

I like you guys and all, but you all sound like whiny babies about all of this...voice your displeasure...once and then vote with your wallets. I've now seen about 30 "luddite" threads on this site alone.

The buzz will die down. Henry did bring this on himself. Has been a blast watching what ' passion ' and discussion this has generated. I don't think that Luddites are against technological advances in the musical fields, but prefer that the advances be practical, progressive, and not gimmicky. And that new Gibson thingee does seem gimmickee, whereas the ' Gibson ' robot guitars are not gimmicky; even Jimmy Page owns and uses them, and by the definition of Luddites, Jimmy Page is a Luddite. When Floyd Rose wammy bars first came out, many purests were shocked and offended, and come on now, you can not tell me that Luddites do not use Floyd Rose systems. Perhaps the renewed use of the term Luddite is not so much of a revolt against technological advances, but is a vocal display against bad and stupid gimmiky ideas like that new Gibson thingee.......I would love to own a Gibson robot guitar, yet I still consider myself a purest in terms of how I create my guitar tones, which in my case requires genuine tube amps and guitars without more than four knobs. So, ah, I'm a purest of sorts, and a Luddite ( 'cause it sounds cool ), and in regards to whining, I prefer a quality Merlot.

Meh, I'm no where near a luddite, it doesn't fit in my job description.

I mean I'm not exactly a kid, not a wise old man either, I like new technology when it suits my needs.

I'd grab an Epi Firebird for under a grand if it had those crazy features, why not?

But over 5k no thanks, I've got a wedding to save for.

Also, I +'d Big Kahune because I agree with what he said, if we don't try and embrace new ideas sometimes then we're just buying the same thing over and over again.

Also also, people who were stirred by Henry's comments, it was an aweful effective marketing thing to get everyone clamouring about it, not to mention to drive more people to support "luddite" guitars more.

Essentially remember that corporations don't do these press things half assed usually. There's lots of thought and work that goes into spreading the message. Be careful you're not accidentally supporting something you don't agree with now!

Archived