Gibson Brands Forums

lessons for blues/ blues rock

morty

I don't know of any books in english I could recomend, there's a book that covers a little of everything, it's writen by Ralph Denyer, if you can find it it would be of help.

For blues I'd say you need to learn the pentatonic scale and the blues scale, you also should learn cadence (is that the correct word in english?) and of course, learn the major/diatonic scale. Something lots of people misses and should learn first are intervals and diads (again, I'm not sure that's how they are called in english).

What's your exact field of interest?

Morty, in the lower right corner there is a little 'reply' button to click which will let you answer a post. This will make answering a lot easier. I mention this to you because you will probably recieve many answers to your question. My answer is; There are many books and DVDs out there; many are good and many suck. The internet is filled with free information, scale charts, video lessons. You might start there, and download what works best for you. What is interesting about the blues is that most of the original blues players did not understand music theory, read music, etc. etc. And now many players spend thousands of dollars studying how they did and do what they do. And people write disertations on how they did it as well. The fact is that to be a true blues player requires the ability to understand the basics, and do the blues the way that works best for them. One famous blues player said " There's only so many notes available on the guitar, the secret is to use them the right way. " Get some chord chart and scale books; any quality ones will do. Since the number of scales and chords used in blues is relativly finite, if you collect a handful and a variety of quality books, you should be set to go. Before some technicaly supurb player slams me for saying that there is a finite number of scales and chords, what I mean is that to be practical, a finite number of scales and chords is all that is needed. There can in theory be an infinite number of chords and scales...My view is that it is good to learn and study as much of the blues as you need or feel comfortable with, learn it to the degree that you feel comfortable with, and then use what you have learned to come up with your own style of the blues. When some techno cat fits a million notes in a blues solo to impress, it's a turn off since a blues solo needs to come straight from the heart via the brain to your fingers to your guitar to your amp to the people who are listening to you.......In blues, it's not how many notes you play, it's how you play them. What makes many great blues players sound so unique is not how much they know, but how little that they know !!!!!! How about that ??? Myself, I get frustrated after studying via books ( A.D.D. and stuff ), and I have found what works well for me is playing along repeatidly with concert DVDs on my huge flat screen T.V. It's like being with them on stage !!!. Since you want to study Billy Gibbons, there's a DVD that has a concert from 1980 and one from 2008. And Billy is one of those great rock blues players who doesn't f#ck it all up with too many notes. And yeah, a quality Les Paul and tube amps help as well...Now study hard, and I expect to hear your'e blues CD really soon !!!!!!! That's my two cents, and I hope it helps.......

Much regards from this forum's " Weird Puppy Luddite " [thumbup] :unsure: [scared][biggrin][blink][razz][omg] :unsure: [thumbup] ...

Archived