Gibson Brands Forums

Iconic Gibsons You Would Like To Hold

zombywoof

Anybody else out there hunger just to play a tune or two on a Gibson that was played by a musician who really means something to you - Like John's J-160E or Sir Paulie's Epi FT-79 Texan. Maybe Pete's '68 J-200 or Jorma's '58 J-50? How about that 1928 L-1 Robert Johnson is seen holding in the photo which adorns the CD Box set or the Kalamazoo KG-14 some recall seeing him with.

Gotta admit, there is one I would truly love to fondle for a bit - Rev. Gary Davis' "Miss Gibson," the J-200 he bought in 1942 and played his entire life.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already done it, on several occasions way back when.....

Peter Green's LP, and I even played it on the stage at the Marquee.

'course - that time it was Monday, mid afternoon and there was only Gary and the band and a few mates there, but it has spoiled me on LP's ever since.

I'd like to see/play Bruces J45, as a J45 owner/lover, but would hope he wouldn't want to speak. At all.......

Just shut up and let me play yer guitar. I am blessed to have just bought a 1933 Gibson A-00 Mandolin from Gruhns, that was owned by Scotty Stoneman, and have spent some time with it. The tone out of this thing is amazing.

The old stuff is for real. A 75 year old Mandolin, once owned by a total freak of a musician, is un describable.......

Murph.

Maybelle's L5

Johnny Cash's J200 w/crazy oversized pickguard

Donovan's J45 (bet HE'd like to have it back to play it too!)

Stompin' Tom Connors J200 (I was within a few feet of it anyway!)

Scotty Moore's ES-295

And probably many more!

Yeah, I'd love to hold one of the Reverend's J-200s in my hands. To play one of his songs on it would be an honor beyond my imagination. I'd also be very happy to play a few licks on Clapton's original ES-335 or BB's or Chuck Berry's, just so I could say I did so...

Pic

One that has a shot of becoming an icon - if he keeps using it - is Arlo Guthrie's J-200 vine. It now shares the stage wiith that quadruple 0 Martin (or whatever you call that model) he has been playing since the 1970s.

Electrics - Clapton's psychedic painted SG (I think Todd Rundgren owns it now). I saw Cream's very first U.S. show and that is the guitar he was playing. If I remember correctly, someone had stolen his Lester. Then again, would love to lay hands on John Lee Hooker's Epi Sheraton.

Hendrix's Flying V

Tony Iommi's SG

Albert Kings Flying V

Perhaps I could make a lefty sound better?

Or to be serious

BBK Lucille

Donovans J45 ( have to fight KSD for that)

Chuck Berry's 335 355 whatever he touched woulkd be good with me!

Hey Gearbasher,

Thats a neat Gibson picture you have....looks a little overbuilt and boxy for my taste.=D>

I sold Gibson appliances retail and wholesale for over 20 years untill they went away forever. I still have a fridge, and it make noises, but its out of tune.

Dale.

I have a Gibson refrigerator, bought new in 1991. Makes noise sometimes. When it wants to. 17 years later it doesn't matter but it did it in '91 as well. In the first two years I had to rebuild the door shelves with sheet metal braces, rivets, and screws. God help us if we put more than a few things in the crisper drawer. I hate the freezer being on top. If I knew then what I know now, I would have thrown serious money at the 1968 GE with the lower drawer freezer that my parents bought new and it would likely be still running today. At least I got rid of the c.2000 electric stove and moved up to the 1955 GE Spacemaker stove. It will outlast all of us.

Sorry about the derail, just saw the chance to betch about something.

Who's Gillian Welch? Is she that chick who plays on the X Files?

LOL Funny that you would mention that. I will occassionally do a search on YouTube for new GW videos. Last week my search produced the new X-Files movie. The guy who uploaded it had inadvertently used Gillian Welch as a tag instead of Gillian Anderson! Of course I politely corrected him.

Archived