Gibson Brands Forums

BUZZ!

loligotagibson

I changed my strings today after a lonnnnnnnng time on a 58 reissue custom and now the A string will only fret the first 3 then it buzzes out or plays as if i was fretting the 21st. What i mean is that if i play the 12 fret it sounds like i was fretting the 21st. the e string isn't as bad but it does buzz. This happened only after I put new strings on it so obviously it has something to do with that. the high e g and b are fine. Any advice? Thanks.

It's actually a 57, not a 58. my mistake

Which way should I adjust the truss rod? I have the tool and know about the 1/8 and rest, I'm just not an expert.

Any technical reasons why swapping out strings would cause this? My guess is the lack of string tension while i switched had something to do with it. I removed all of them before putting the news one. in the past i removed and replaced one at a time. When I put the new ones on I started with the high E then low e and so on. Thanks for the quick responses so far.

Still...any pics? Gotta share man. eusa_angel.gif

Lefty loosey, righty tighty. If you turn to the right, you tighten.

Just know you can damage the neck if you over do it.

Different string gauge maybe?

When I replace my strings, I pull them all of and clean the fretboard at the same time.

Others replace them one at a time...personal preference, I suppose.

The first time I changed my strings on my R7, I just could not get it in tune. It turned out that I installed the stop bar backwards. On the R7's the intonation screws are actually under the strings where you have a hard time getting to them. I know it does not make a lick of sense, but I referenced several photos, and thats the way it is. And once I switched it around, everything tuned up nicely with no buzz. Good luck.

DO NOT TOUCH THE TRUSS ROD!!!

You allowed the thumbwheels under the bridge to turn, dropping the action height.

I'll bet you a dollar.

Even if you used a lighter gauge of strings it should not be that bad if it played okay before.

Did you change string gauge?

E string is resting on the pickup screw?

Wow. I'm lost.

I agree, it doesn't seem right.

The truss rod should NOT need to be touched, you're opening a can of worms twisting on it for no reason.

Take it to a GOOD luthier and pay them $25 to set it up for you. Let HIM adjust the rod if he thinks it's warranted.

What gauge of strings did you install?

Archived