Gibson Brands Forums

Valuation of ES-175 Help

glennc

Hello,

I am wondering if fellow members might be able to help me get the value of an ES-175 Natural top with Mahogany sides and back.

Here are a few pictures. Ask questions if needed. Thanks for any assistance.

IMG_1647As.jpg

IMG_1650As.jpg

IMG_1649ACs.jpg

glennc

Thank you Gentlemen,

I appreciate your replies and that link. That is a nice guitar. It at least gives me an idea. I believe this would be the last guitar in my collection though. In reference to the strap button, I had it put on immediately when I got the guitar as there was no other upper button. I'm either not a good enough guitarist(likely) or just used to it. For me to get to the highest registers I have to put my hand in the cutout. Again guite probably not the best way to do it. But it does hang just perfectly for me. Thanks again for the replies.

glennc

I know a bit about these "natural" ES-175s built in the late '80s early '90s.

They are indeed much rarer than others. If you were to put a value to it, I'd say $3,000.00 is more like it.

Hello Califorinaman,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Thanks also for your knowledgeable approximate value. Do you have any pictures of other natural 175's? Were the 80s and 90's good years of quality and manufacturing? Anyway take care Sir.

glennc

This is a picture of my 1988 ES-175.

I've seen black, sun burst, red, white and natural.

The natural is the most rare of the three followed by white.

What makes these guitars unique, and it's obvious, is the fact that the back and sides are mahogany with a maple laminate top.

Unlike other "naturals" with flame maple, it's the combination of the mahogany and maple that does it. Gibson only made the 175 this way for a short time.

They are beautiful guitars.

Snapshot2009-01-1508-39-38-1.jpg

What makes these guitars unique, and it's obvious, is the fact that the back and sides are mahogany with a maple laminate top.

Unlike other "naturals" with flame maple, it's the combination of the mahogany and maple that does it. Gibson only made the 175 this way for a short time.

Hey Californiaman,

Picture didn't make it through! I've never seen the red or the white. I love the Sunburst just second to the naturals. Thanks for the complement, wanted to return it when you get a picture up. I must say I do like it very much.

Thanks

glennc

You've got yourself a champion there! This is what you pay for a 1980's full natural in the largest and most recognized guitarshop in France: 3840 EURO, or 4900 USD.

This is a very rare guitar indeed in a mint status. Life's laughing at you:-)

Afbeelding1.png

Snapshot2009-01-1508-39-38-1.jpg

Ah know I see the picture. That is exquisite. It is like a 175 in custom made tuxedo, Gold rolex on your wrist. Wow, one of those has to be mine, one of these days. I don't even care if it plays. Outrageously neat.

glennc

You've got yourself a champion there! This is what you pay for a 1980's full natural in the largest and most recognized guitarshop in France: 3840 EURO, or 4900 USD.

This is a very rare guitar indeed in a mint status. Life's laughing at you:-)

Afbeelding1.png

Hello DeVeeWee,

Wow. But mine is not a full maple, isn't the one in the advertisement full maple? It certainly is nice to know, but you're right about the world. I have thick skin. It is terrible to know that you have the means to get what you want only by selling what you have, and you don't want to sell it. Dang.

Thanks for the heads up.

glennc

Hello DeVeeWee,

Wow. But mine is not a full maple, isn't the one in the advertisement full maple? It certainly is nice to know, but you're right about the world. I have thick skin. It is terrible to know that you have the means to get what you want only by selling what you have, and you don't want to sell it. Dang.

Thanks for the heads up.

glennc

The one in the ad is a full maple indeed, but yours is really unique with the sides and the back in mahogany. I've never seen such a model so far. Must deliver you a nice price...

The one in the ad is a full maple indeed, but yours is really unique with the sides and the back in mahogany. I've never seen such a model so far. Must deliver you a nice price...

Thanks again DeVeeWee, it sure sounds nice and I don't play very well. As to price I intend to leave it to my grandson. I should try to get an accurate appraisal for insurance purposes. You take care.

glennc

• 3 weeks later...

Is the mahogany laminated?

I just bought a 1988 ES-175 sunburst with mahogany back and sides for $2600 in a retail store after some negotiations. It's fantastic but I don't know the answer to that laminate question.

Hello RichardNY,

It appears as if it is. Congratulations on the sunburst, hope it sounds nice and is in good condition for ya. That is a lot of money, but obviously worth it. Might you please post a picture of your new to you 175?? Love to look at what I can't afford to own. Take care.

glennc

Archived