Gibson Brands Forums

Valuation of ES-175 Help

glennc

...I believe this would be the last guitar in my collection though...

[laugh]

BWAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA!!!

Oh, that's rich!!

I have, like, 10 "last" guitars in my collection.

Puhhh-LEEEEEZE!!!

Seriously---I hope you're right, but if so, you're a stronger man than me!

[laugh]

BWAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA!!!

Oh, that's rich!!

I have, like, 10 "last" guitars in my collection.

Puhhh-LEEEEEZE!!!

Seriously---I hope you're right, but if so, you're a stronger man than me!

Howdy 86general,

I can see and agree with your point of view. The quitars I've sold and would really like to have back is long. But through all these years, the 175 and my Martin Acoustic remain the oldest new guitars I own. Wish me luck, fingers crossed :rolleyes:

glennc

• 3 weeks later...

I agree but keep in mind that what it's "worth" isn't always what people will pay.

I just saw this one. It might be helpful.

This one confuses me a little as all the references I have seen quote the mahogany back and sides from 1982-1988, yet this is a 1980 model. Also, the wood looks different to the mahogany shown on the Natural model at the head of this thread.

2556893400059914247qlcFyt_th.jpg

2681362160059914247GMsYWR_th.jpg

This one confuses me a little as all the references I have seen quote the mahogany back and sides from 1982-1988, yet this is a 1980 model. Also, the wood looks different to the mahogany shown on the Natural model at the head of this thread.

2556893400059914247qlcFyt_th.jpg

Hello panrixx,

First let me say what a beautiful guitar. You will have to wait for the real experts to check in, but I believe that most painted 175's have mahogany back and sides. I have an 85 347 with a finish and a very similar wood pattern. Definitely looks different than the one in the first photos.

Got me interested in an answer too.

Good luck

glennc

Hello panrixx,

First let me say what a beautiful guitar. You will have to wait for the real experts to check in, but I believe that most painted 175's have mahogany back and sides. I have an 85 347 with a finish and a very similar wood pattern. Definitely looks different than the one in the first photos.

Good luck

glennc

Glennc,

When you say 'painted' what do you mean?

The guitar pictured above (from post #29) has a maple wood back stained with walnut colored stain. Look at the "pronounced" visible grain pattern, this differentiates it from mahogany which does not have "squiggly" grain. Compare the photos from post #1 and post #29, the difference will be very evident.

Remember when talking about guitar woods you are talking about the raw species of wood used to construct the guitar, not what color it's stained or painted.

2681362160059914247GMsYWR_th.jpgIMG_1649ACs.jpg

Glennc,

When you say 'painted' what do you mean?

Howdy panrixx,

Several types of ES-175s are painted. Yes painted all black, all white, some have a sunburst pattern. Some are stained as L5Larry so directly stated. Told ya some experts would log on. Looking at the front of the first pictures of first post, the clear maple top seems to have a similar pattern to yours, while the back has the different looking mahogany. If you don't want it I'll take it!

glennc

The guitar pictured above (from post #29) has a maple wood back stained with walnut colored stain. Look at the "pronounced" visible grain pattern, this differentiates it from mahogany which does not have "squiggly" grain. Compare the photos from post #1 and post #29, the difference will be very evident.

Remember when talking about guitar woods you are talking about the raw species of wood used to construct the guitar, not what color it's stained or painted.

2681362160059914247GMsYWR_th.jpgIMG_1649ACs.jpg

Thanks L5 Larry,

OK, I understand. Excuse my ignorance but I was confused because I usually see the Maples in 'Flame' or 'Curly'. So how is the guitar finished once it has been stained - I understand most Gibsons have a Nitro finish?

How common is the Maple back and sides stained in a Walnut colour - I assume this was a Gibson option?

Howdy panrixx,

Several types of ES-175s are painted. Yes painted all black, all white, some have a sunburst pattern. Some are stained as L5Larry so directly stated. Told ya some experts would log on. Looking at the front of the first pictures of first post, the clear maple top seems to have a similar pattern to yours, while the back has the different looking mahogany. If you don't want it I'll take it!

glennc

Glenn,

I did not say this was mine, it was pointed out by another member. However, you were right :) I'm waiting for it to travel across 'the pond' from the USA to the UK. Asked for them to wait until the new year as snow has been closing some of our major airports lately!

Most of the ES-175s I have seen have had the 'burst' maple back, or Natural. So, I was not sure on the actual finish of mine and how common it was.

Glenn,

I did not say this was mine, it was pointed out by another member. However, you were right :) I'm waiting for it to travel across 'the pond' from the USA to the UK. Asked for them to wait until the new year as snow has been closing some of our major airports lately!

Most of the ES-175s I have seen have had the 'burst' maple back, or Natural. So, I was not sure on the actual finish of mine and how common it was.

panrixx,

So you are going to get it..... Hope it works out for you. I would have no problem with that beautiful looking and quite conceivably remarkable sounding instrument. Lucky guy! Sorry though for the wait. I'm in S. FL., you could have it shipped here, I watch over it until the snow melts.

glennc

I usually see the Maples in 'Flame' or 'Curly'. So how is the guitar finished once it has been Walnut stained - I understood most Gibsons were finished in Nitro?

How common is the Walnut stained Maple back and sides - was it confined to certain years?

I usually see the Maples in 'Flame' or 'Curly'. So how is the guitar finished once it has been Walnut stained - I understood most Gibsons were finished in Nitro?

How common is the Walnut stained Maple back and sides - was it confined to certain years?

Does anyone know?

This is a picture of my 1988 ES-175.

I've seen black, sun burst, red, white and natural.

The natural is the most rare of the three followed by white.

What makes these guitars unique, and it's obvious, is the fact that the back and sides are mahogany with a maple laminate top.

Unlike other "naturals" with flame maple, it's the combination of the mahogany and maple that does it. Gibson only made the 175 this way for a short time.

They are beautiful guitars.

Snapshot2009-01-1508-39-38-1.jpg

Hi I'm MgawL, French fellow owning an es 175 1991 model from a couple of day.

I got a question specially to californiaman but probably many of you will answer to me.

On my guitar the gibson logo on the headstock is not 'usual' I mean it look mutch thinner than the standard one and

the 'link' Beetween the letter O and the N is on the top of both letters and on the standard logo the link is at the bottom.

Does anyone know the reason why ??

Thanks

MgawL

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1980 blond ES175. Cost me second-hand dfl 2600, about Eur 1150 in modern money. That French price looks pretty silly for a laminated guitar with an oversized headstock and a plain maple neck. Some people call these "Norlin" guitars instead of "Gibson". It's a miracle though it still has all the witch-hat control knobs, so bonus for that.

Mahogany necks are much nicer on these guitars, but who ever decided on the mahogany back and sides? They are rare because they were only produced for a couple of years, but there's probably a good reason they changed back to maple.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello panrixx,

Good luck

glennc

The one in the eBay picture is NOT mahogany. It's just a dark stained maple.

Does anyone know?

Often, the "stain" is put onto the wood first to give it color. It is then finished with a clear top coat(s), such as lacquer. However top coats can be tinted or colored too to change the final overall color or hue.

Archived