Gibson Brands Forums

New to recording....

liquidfusion

Im wanting to start recording and getting stuff onto the web and onto cd. One of my problems and Im not sure if anyone else suffers from it, but I cant sing and play guitar to save my life.... Most of my limited experience is either playing rythm, and very limited lead, to some minor back up vocals. Im wanting to develop vocals, and keep progressing with guitar, but have been kind of confused by all the gear out there.

Im wanting to get a small but versatile set up, that is uber user friendly. Id like to be able to lay down separate tracks, then combine them, and edit as needed, ending up with a finished product that can be exported to web or cd.

Ive been looking at the Boss, and Tascam multitrack recorders as recomended by other threads in this forum, and I guess one of my questions that comes from a lack of experience is, if I play a guitar track, is there a way that I can replay the guitar track through headphones so that I can record the vocal track at the same time?

Thanks for any advice and help,

Bruce

Ive been looking at the Boss, and Tascam multitrack recorders as recomended by other threads in this forum, and I guess one of my questions that comes from a lack of experience is, if I play a guitar track, is there a way that I can replay the guitar track through headphones so that I can record the vocal track at the same time?

Thanks for any advice and help,

Bruce

Hi Bruce

Any multi-track machine will allow you to listen to your previously recorded guitar track while you add your vocal. In my experience they all work in pretty much the same way but the exact method will be explained in the manual.

There are also many programs for PC and Mac that will allow you to do the same thing on your computer.

Hope that helps

jg

Guest BentonC

That's the cool thing about multitrack recording (and, I'm assuming with most of the stand-alone multitrack recorders out there). Each track exisits on its own as a separate piece of audio you've recorded, so you can choose which tracks you want to playback while you are recording your next track.

Be careful though, you are opening a door to a world that will be very difficult to leave once you get into it. It is way too much fun...

If you are looking to record your material and get it onto the web quick and easy I would recommend getting a DAW (digital audio workstation) such as protools, Logic, Nuendo, etc. Hardware multitrack recorders work great but the editing and mixing functions are a bit limited and getting it from the machine onto your computer requires a couple more unnecessary steps. If you have a computer you can spend a couple hundred dollars and get a nice little protools rig and begin recording immediately. With these programs you can export your song as an mp3 and with the click of a mouse and it's on the internet. For recording vocals I'd recommend the mxl 990/991 package for a start. I think you can pick them up used for about $50 and new for $100. They sound great for the price. Always remember to read the manuals and if you ever have any questions... youtube has the answer!!! Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Being new, study study study; Study everything you can online; product sites, reviews, on-line retail sites, everything, recording forums, all.....Eventually it will start congealing into cohesive bits and pieces that make sense to you....Then came back here and ask more questions, and more questions....Visit recording studios in your area and check out how they do what they do.....Study guitar more; these days you may not need a teacher, so much is on-line for free...Vocals ?? Do what you can...I sing fine on my own recordings and I am not a lead singer....Don't be shy about your skill level; we all start somewhere; ie, IMO Bob Dylan still hasn't learned how to play guitar very well and he does just fine as far as respect goes...Enjoy it, don't stress it, and don't expect to get rich or famous.....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I ended up picking up an M Audio usb interface, and a Shure SM58. Ive been lookin over Reaper, and will download and put it to use here hopefully in the next week. I also have a friend that had an MBox/ProTools setup that was never used and has forwarded it my direction...

Im lookin forward to being able to experiment, and progress....

Bruce

Guest BentonC

I also have a friend that had an MBox/ProTools setup that was never used and has forwarded it my direction...

Very nice! [thumbup]

That is my DAW of choice, and I'm sure if you have the time to dive in and get to know the features, you'll really enjoy it. Just take it slow and learn at your own pace- there's a lot to those programs, but the functionality is outstanding!

Archived