Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning problems w/ my '59RI ES-335?

Deacon

Hi there

I own two Gibson Historic guitars. A 2002 '58RI Les Paul and a 2006 '59RI ES-335.

I've had the ES-335 for about 4 months now, and I keep having tuning problems with the G and B strings. When I got the guitar (bought it used), it was setup with 11's and I liked how it felt, so I stayed with that gauge.

When I tune the G and B strings, I hear an audible, brittle "ping" sound, so I'm just about 100% sure those two strings are binding up in the nut.

I'm going to mess around with trying to get those slots opened up a bit more, and probably also some kind of lubricant (i.e. graphite or some such).

I was wondering if anyone else had had this issue. Also, has anyone here replaced the stock plastic nut with a bone nut or other material (i.e. Tusq or whatever)?

I absolutely love my 335, but I want the tuning issue to GO AWAY!! :D

Thanks much.

Hi

I have a Larry Carlton LC335 and it has a graphite nut, but it was poorly cut and the strings snagged so tuning was a problem and the string spacing uneven.

I have resolved it by having a local guitar tech install a bone nut with correctly cut depth and relief.

Getting the old nut out without causing damage to the surrounding laquer is the key. He scored it very carefully with a scalpel and then sawed through it longitudinally and then collapsed it inward. Good job

Denis

Hi Denis

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'm going to go a similar route with my '59RI. I live fairly close to Ann Arbor, MI and the Herb David Guitar Studio has a very good tech. I'm probably going to have him replace the stock nut with a bone one and give the guitar a quick once-over to make sure everything else is A-OK (i.e. frets, neck relief, etc.).

Have you notice a change in your LC335's tone since you got the bone nut? I've heard that some people find their guitar to be brighter when they put in a bone nut.

Best regards,

Deacon

Hi

I have a Larry Carlton LC335 and it has a graphite nut' date=' but it was poorly cut and the strings snagged so tuning was a problem and the string spacing uneven.

I have resolved it by having a local guitar tech install a bone nut with correctly cut depth and relief.

Getting the old nut out without causing damage to the surrounding laquer is the key. He scored it very carefully with a scalpel and then sawed through it longitudinally and then collapsed it inward. Good job

Denis[/quote']

Archived