Gibson Brands Forums

Great voices in rock

cookieman15061

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Great set of pipes on Paul Carrack. He had some solo stuff too I think - in the 80s. Tempted is one of my all-time favorite vocals. In fact I have had it stuck in my head since this morning - and now this thread. I'm doomed to have it running through my head all night now.

There are certain singers that have sung on a lot of pretty big hits through the years but are relatively unknown to the general public.

I'd put Glenn Hughes in that category. His work with Trapeze was great. Then he did half the vocals on Deep Purple's Burn while Coverdale reaped the glory. He also worked with Pat Travers, Gary Moore, and Sabbath.

This is my favorite Trapeze song - great vocal.

Here he shows David Coverdale how to sing the high parts of the chorus. Listen to him come in on the bridge at 1:50 - amazing...

If you think Paul Carrick was good you should check out the other singer with Mike and the Mechanics, Paul Young. Just do a search on You Tube for Sad Cafe, his previous band. As a live act they were fantastic and never got the success that they deserved.

Regards,

Ian.

This song always has always been special to me. My father passed around the time it was release.

The singer kind of looks like Phil in that video. :-k

Same here Big Bill...That song came out about a week after my Dad died, and I think of him whenever I hear that song.....And as in the song; I also wasn't there when my father passed away, and my illogical reasoning at the time was that since I viewed him as immortal I thought that if I wasn't there that he wouldn't die; an illogical train of thought I had at the time..( meaning that I thought that he was waiting for me to be there so that he could die, so by not being there I thought that I was prolonging his life, if that makes any sense. )

SHORT VERSION; What makes a specfic song affect us so deeply is because music acitvates the language, mathamatical, and memory segments of our mind at the same time, which overstimulates our brains causing an overwhelming mixture of sensory stimulation, emotions and memory recall which exibits itself usually by resulting in comforting feelings of warmth and happiness; And because our youth is when the mind is solidifying it's self, this is why the type of music we choose to like best during those years is always the type we remain the most faithful to.....ie, that's why ' Mom ' might prefer 70s rock, " Gramma might prefer 40s swing, etc. etc. : But what the duck do I know, being a cork sniffin' luddite still drinkin' the kool aid !!!!!!!

As an afterthought, those of us who are songwriters don't realize how powerful and unique of a skill it is to be able to write songs, usually without much difficulty.......

That singer really is underrated and is 'forgotten' about because he is so down to earth, humble, and is unpretentious...........Well, gotta go, got me more kool aid to drink.......

Same here Big Bill...That song came out about a week after my Dad died, and I think of him whenever I hear that song.....And as in the song; I also wasn't there when my father passed away, and my illogical reasoning at the time was that since I viewed him as immortal I thought that if I wasn't there that he wouldn't die; an illogical train of thought I had at the time..( meaning that I thought that he was waiting for me to be there so that he could die, so by not being there I thought that I was prolonging his life, if that makes any sense. )

During desperate times we often take desperate measures. I too was not there when my Dad died. I thought I could sneak in a three day mission to the UK before things for him turned bad. I was certainly wrong, he died the day after we took off. But I can't keep spanking myself over that. [cool]

Okay...

There's one "great." Recorded for decades. Incredible voice, unique songwriter...

Roy Orbison. Even Elvis, as I understand it, considered Orbison "the" rock singer. Rock hall of fame, of course... Top 10 records nine times in four years... Often covered, never matched.

Others are poor to awfully, awfully good...

Orbison, at least the voice... and the unique music...

m

I think you guys are missing my point and maybe should reread my original post. I'm talking about the unsung great singer. Someone who's voice you recognize on some great songs but you may not know his name.

Plant, Rodgers, Gramm, Orbison and Coverdale are all pretty well known in rock circles.

Like Mickey Thomas who sang on Elvin Bishops Fooled Around And Fell In Love and later with Jefferson Starship and Starship.

Ditto for Mickey Thomas.

Warren Haynes

Rick Roberts - Firefall

Eric Woolfson - Alan Parsons Project

Robin Wilson - Gin Blossoms

Kelly Holland and Robert Mason from Cry of Love

Ian Astbury - The Cult

Don Barnes - .38 Special

Bobby Kimball - Toto

Steve Walsh - Kansas

Ditto for Mickey Thomas.

Warren Haynes

Rick Roberts - Firefall

Eric Woolfson - Alan Parsons Project

Robin Wilson - Gin Blossoms

Kelly Holland and Robert Mason from Cry of Love

Ian Astbury - The Cult

Don Barnes - .38 Special

Bobby Kimball - Toto

Steve Walsh - Kansas

There's a great list. [thumbup]

> I'm talking about the unsung great singer. Someone who's voice you recognize on some great songs but you may not know his name. <> Cookieman

I think you guys are missing my point and maybe should reread my original post. I'm talking about the unsung great singer. Someone who's voice you recognize on some great songs but you may not know his name.

Plant, Rodgers, Gramm, Orbison and Coverdale are all pretty well known in rock circles.

Like Mickey Thomas who sang on Elvin Bishops Fooled Around And Fell In Love and later with Jefferson Starship and Starship.

Well I learned something new. I knew that Paul Carrak was in Squeeze and some of his solo stuff, but I didn't know that was him singing "How Long" and "The Living Years". Great post. [thumbup]

Lots of favorites here but after FINALLY getting to see Bad Company a month ago, Paul Rogers just has that perfect combination of great clarity and rock raunch even after all of these years.

Of course Freddie was a classic in Queen too. Even Paul Rogers couldn't replace him.

Previously mentioned Steve Walsh of Kansas is an underrated favorite. Of course, Kansas was an underrated favorite period!! Not that I'm biased or anything.

For those of you youngsters who've never heard of them . . . check 'em out!

Lots of favorites here but after FINALLY getting to see Bad Company a month ago, Paul Rogers just has that perfect combination of great clarity and rock raunch even after all of these years.

Of course Freddie was a classic in Queen too. Even Paul Rogers couldn't replace him.

Previously mentioned Steve Walsh of Kansas is an underrated favorite. Of course, Kansas was an underrated favorite period!! Not that I'm biased or anything.

For those of you youngsters who've never heard of them . . . check 'em out!

Who hasn't heard of Kansas!? Carry On Wayward Son is a great song! msp_thumbup.gif

Archived