Gibson Brands Forums

'50's Tribute LP Studio Report Card

charlie brown

So, for those who DO have this guitar (Any Color), and have

had it long enough to get over the "honeymoon" phase, WHAT

do you think of it, by now? How many love it, and how many

have sold it, and "moved on?" And if so, why?

I'll go first: Love the weight, playbility, and tone!!! A+++

Wish it was a 2-piece body (only for aesthetic reasons),

as the seems, in the side cutaways, is a bit "cheap" looking.

3-piece, or even 4, would be ok, if the outside pieces were

wide enough, so the seams didn't show, on the outside edges,

but only on the back or front (cutaway). I wish (still) they

had done a better QC job, on the back finishing, wiping glue

residue and filler, OFF, completely...before staining/finishing.

Of the 3 I had to choose from, this was the "best" one...with the

least objectionable (to me) flaws.

Glue Residue

DSC_0025-1.jpg

Filler residue

DSC_0026-1.jpg

Sloppy finishing

DSC_0023-1.jpg

I know it's a "cheap" Gibson, but sloppy finishing is just that...

cheap and sloppy!

How about you all?

CB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im one of the few who was lucky enough to get the goldtop on late August. I went to my local Sam Ash and they had two gold tops and one honeyburst still in the box. I went in the by chance and they happen to have them in stock, arrived the day before.

Now, early November and I'm still enjoying this guitar. I haven't put it down since I got it and my once main guitar, 2008 Les Paul Standard has taken the back seat. Mine is a four piece back, but it sounds much warmer than my other Gibson guitars with P90s, SG Classic and a Les Paul special. I wouldn't sell this baby for anything, she is a keeper indeed, and perhaps a family heirloom to pass down.

My 2008 LP Standard Desertburst (once my main guitar)

p6010167.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-10-21

My new Main Guitar, 50s tribute goldtop

p9010187.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2010-09-01

My other P90 Guitars

p1010095.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-09-05

p6080176.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-09-05

-Tone. Awesome. The cleans are crisp and articulate. Drive it a little and you have nasty, harsh, growling pups. I love it.

-Feel. Neck feels great and is nice and chunky. Good balance. It's light.

-Stability. I punish my guitars; lots of bends, etc. This one stays in tune better than most.

-Setup. Out of the box, this thing was perfect. I was shocked, frankly.

-Mojo. I'm not one for reliced guitars. I think the whole concept is pretty silly. However, I like that I don't feel any anxiety leaving it out of a case. And for whatever reason, this guitar inspires some good music. It has mojo for sure.

-Value. This guitar hangs in there with all of the pricey stuff, tone wise. Solid music-making tool.

Dislikes:

-The top seems sloppily carved/finished. The area near the pickup switch just doesn't look right, and it seems like there are small ripples that didn't take the paint all that well.

-Lack of hard case. Budget guitar or not, this is a Gibson. The gigbag has a zipper that won't budge. Shoddy.

Overall, this guitar gets equal time with my standard. The tone is so different, that they aren't really comparable.

008.jpg

My HB is deffenetly a keeper. I got 2, kept the better of the two and sold the 2nd. It was a hard decision as both were very good sounding and playing guitars. Mine is a 2 piece back (both were). Mine did not have any of the issues you boys are describing whith yours. Fit and finish is excellent, the neck needing only a minor tweeking out of the box. I love the sound of the P90's, both clean and dirty, but I just don't care for the noise when on the gain channel. And I'm a gain playing type. Granted, I don't hear the hum when playing, but I know its there between tunes for sure. Possible p/u change in the futute.

I hate to admit it, I haven't touched my beloved V's but once since this guitar got here. [blush]

10-26-10018.jpg10-26-10007.jpg

I bought a second hand historic as I felt the quality of the Gibson USA guitars wasn't acceptable. I have recently looked at some Gibson USA guitars and I just don't like them.

Gibson has tried to be quite innovative with their Robot guitar, which looks interesting. The bog standard LP from Gibson USA isn't anything special.

I much prefer the Japanese made Tokai guitars.

I wish Gibson would turn this around, but I dare say the accountants tell them their bottom line and not company strategy.

Mark

So, no Tribute to report on?

I would give mine a B.

Build: B (2pc back, decent bridge height, no flaws)

Quality: A (no issues)

Set-up: A (no complaints)

Tone: A (P90, sweet & unique, little noise)

Electronics: B+ (old school, no pcb)

the "wear": C (not for me, subtle though)

Finish: B- (a bit thin)

Bling: C- (I miss the binding & gloss)

Value: B- (good price, am stndrd Tele w/HSC only $80 more)

Grab-ability: B- (ok, but not my top fave)

Extra credit: lower cost makes it great for travel, sounds awesome w/portable Tonelab ST, P90s unique

Held Against: had to add HSC, no accessories, cut into getting higher priced models

50sflare1.jpg

I've had my two since early September now (a GT I picked up at Sam Ash after being notified the anticipated 8/31 delivery on the Ebony I'd ordered from M123 had been pushed back until 9/30, only to get the shipment order on the Ebony a couple days after buying the GT). I remain very, very happy with both, and find I'm still playing them more than any of my other guitars. Aside from the finish, there don't seem to be too many noticeable differences before the two. For me and my big hands, the playability on both is excellent. I love the tone and both have great sustain. I'm happy with the fretwork on both. Both hold tuning really well. Yeah, I had to buy cases for both, which kind of sucked, and the factory distress on one of the pickup covers on the GT seemed a bit much--a 3/8-inch scuff that looks like somebody tried to play it with a wood screw--but I got a matching cream P-90 cover that I'll replace the pre-scuffed one with one of these days. Those quibbles aside, I am very happy with the two guitars, think they were really good value and plan to hold on to both.

That is a cool looking amp for sure; what is it?

wondering the same here.......if it's a real late '50s-early'60s Tone King(I forget which store sold them) it's a real gem there Gator Slim !!

one Q: on the Tributes, as i'm almost sold on getting one.....

is one of the P-90s reverse wound so there's no hum in the middle position??

if not, i'll likely get one anyhow and install a set of minis in it, as it looks like a GREAT "modders dream" guitar.

I bought a C. B. a couple months ago and your kinda right. It's NOT to red at all just right.

I Bought a Honey the other day I got it, and I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be in the color.

Now the Honey shows WAY less wearing than the Cherry.

But playability of the Honey is Way up there with just about ANY guitar I have ever played, even with absolutely NO set up from me needed or wanted...

This covers are NOT scratched on the back what so ever compared to the Cherry....

But I am glad I bought the Honey...

Give me a couple of days and I will put pictures of them side by side......

That is a cool looking amp for sure; what is it?

It's a Tone King Imperial. Boutique amp built by a guy out on the US east coast. Fantastic amps. Absolutely love it.

http://www.toneking.com/products/imperial/index.html

It's not vintage or anything. He built them to look like a classic car. Lots of info on his website.

I don't turn the volume past 2 in the house. Everything shakes at 2 as it is...I'm pretty sure it would blow out the windows given an opportunity.

Here's a solid demo:

It's a Tone King Imperial. Boutique amp built by a guy out on the US east coast. Fantastic amps. Absolutely love it.

http://www.toneking.com/products/imperial/index.html

It's not vintage or anything. He built them to look like a classic car. Lots of info on his website.

I don't turn the volume past 2 in the house. Everything shakes at 2 as it is...I'm pretty sure it would blow out the windows given an opportunity.

Here's a solid demo:

WOW !! I LIKE that ! a LOT!

6v6s with a "mid-bite" adjust similar to the Blackstar i'm currently using......

I'm feeling the need for a combo to drag around, and this one really seems to fit the bill......

Thanks Slim!

the reason I asked if it was vintage is "back in the day" there was a "store brand" amp named Tone King (similar to Sears' Silvertone line) but I can't remember for my life who sold it.

anyhow, sorry for the thread hijack.......back to Tributes......i'm goin' to Tone Kings website for a while !

I sold my Cherry Burst. It was a decent enough guitar, but I prefer binding on the neck. Just bought a Guitar Center exclusive LP Special with 2 P-90's, slab body & neck binding. It's a little lighter than the 50's Trib, and the Trib was maybe a bit more "open" sounding, possibly due to chambering and/or less nitro. I just bought the Special yesterday though, so I need to give it more playing time to really list differences.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure where to start with this guitar. Mine is a cherryburst. The build quality is quite good, but I've never seen a guitar with worse fit and finish. The big problem on mine was the ridge of paint on the neck where the fretboard was masked. There was literally a sharp edge, maybe .2mm on both sides of the neck where the fretboard met the neck. It took significant sanding to smooth things out. The neck had to be sanded to the point where the paint is gone. There are several long shallow grooves in the carved top that are unslightly. The frets had sharp edges on both sides, there was little or no attention paid to finishing the fret edges. The bridge tone control was falling off the pot. The thin nitro paint looks like the paint on a 1985 Oldsmobile, the orange peel is horrible.

The good stuff. The neck was near perfect, I reduced relief just a touch and had to debuzz a couple of frets on the g string at the 12 and 13th fret. Intonation was spot on out of the box, but needed readjustment after reducing the relief and lowering the action just a touch. The guitar holds tuning forever. I'm a P-90 junkie and these pups are heaven. Clear, bell like clarity when driven clean and fabulous grit when overdriven. The guitar sustains better than a couple of VOS Specials I've played and the harmonics are off the chart. After getting rid of the paint ridge, the neck is wonderful. It is beefy enough to feel substantial, but doesn't feel like a tree trunk. Through a Deluxe Reverb, it is vintage sound. Add pedals and it will sound like anything you like. In spite of the fact that the finish is embarrasing, after a little work, the thing plays and sounds as good as any P90 LP I've played.

So, for $850, you're not getting one penny spent on making the guitar pretty, or even presentable. Sonically, however, it is the real deal on steroids. I've got a number of guitars, but this is the one I pick up to play. I think I'll practice for a half-hour and two hours goes by. I give the guitar a D-minus on fit and finish, but a solid A on sound and playability. So, you get what you pay for. Spend $1500 more and you'll have a guitar that looks good but will probably not play or sound any better.

OK...I've gotten over my "carps" about finish quality, and minor imperfections.

I've been playing it, a LOT, lately....and it's really "Awesome!" (There's that

word, again...) And, after "accidently" finding a new '60's version, as well...I

now have 2, Gold Tops! The '60's Tribute has a nice unique 2-piece back, with

center seam, too! It was the only one, out of 15 in the store, that had that!

So, I grabbed it! The neck differences, aren't so drastic...at least, to me.

The '60's IS thinner, but the '50's isn't THAT "Fat," to begin with...so, going

back and forth, is not a problem, at all. Also, the '60's finishing is flawless,

on the back, and sides, with only very slight ("edge wear") relic'd, on the top.

Again...Great guitars, both!

CB

Time for another call to Customer Service... This will be the second of the two Gibson guitars that I've purchased new that has a significant factory defect.

Harrumph.

Was showing off the Goldtop to a friend, who couldn't help but notice the fretboard falling off.

Must have had a shortage of glue that day...

QViuH.jpg

cNgx6.jpg

Time for another call to Customer Service... This will be the second of the two Gibson guitars that I've purchased new that has a significant factory defect.

Harrumph.

Was showing off the Goldtop to a friend, who couldn't help but notice the fretboard falling off.

Must have had a shortage of glue that day...

QViuH.jpg

cNgx6.jpg

BUMMER! Was it like that, all along, and you didn't notice it, or is this a new development,

since you've had it? Doesn't really matter, I guess...it's still sad! I just wonder if it got

past Gibson, And...the Dealer, that way?

CB

BUMMER! Was it like that, all along, and you didn't notice it, or is this a new development,

since you've had it? Doesn't really matter, I guess...it's still sad! I just wonder if it got

past Gibson, And...the Dealer, that way?

CB

Truth be told, I can't say if it was this way when I got it. I was still pretty bitter or having been made to wait so long for it that I put it in a case and put it in the closet for a few weeks.

I can tell you that the only thing I've ever done is tune it.

I had good luck with the factory as regards another crapped up studio, and hope they'll do something to make this right.

But I'm done after this one.

There is no excuse for such crappy work being shipped on these guitars.

No excuse what-so-ever.

It was a mail order house - and while that's not an optimal way to buy a guitar, it was the only option for this model.

Well, that (probably) explains some of it. I'm sure the Mail-Order place, just warehoused the shipment,

from Gibson, or their distributor, without opening it up, for inspection. It's one of the reasons I

never buy "Guitars" from on-line retailers, as a rule. "Parts," and accessories, sure...but, not guitars, any longer.

I have, only 3 times, in the past, and was lucky, with all of them...thank God! But, as a rule (now, especially),

I'll never do that, anymore.

I wonder too, was yours one of the "Pre or Post Flood" versions? I have a feeling, there was a LOT of

pressure, to get out as many "post flood" versions, as possible, as quickly as possible. It's no excuse,

obviously, but it might be a reason? Who knows? But, I do know, that my '50's Tribute Gold Top, has

some "finish" issues, beyond their "slightly relic'd" description, that was (to me) obviously, the result

of working to fast, and carelessness. In the end, I decided it was not enough of a "problem," to risk

sending it back, only to get another one, that was worse, or wasn't as nice a player/tone monster! My

dealer, offered unconditionally, to send it back, and/or make it right...but, I didn't want to risk it.

I'm delighted to say, the new '60's Tribute Gold Top, is "Flawless," except where it's supposed to be,

by definition.

Anyway...good luck to you, I hope you get it straightened out, to your satisfaction.

CB

Well, that (probably) explains some of it. I'm sure the Mail-Order place, just warehoused the shipment,

from Gibson, or their distributor, without opening it up, for inspection. It's one of the reasons I

never buy "Guitars" from on-line retailers, as a rule. "Parts," and accessories, sure...but, not guitars, any longer.

I have, only 3 times, in the past, and was lucky, with all of them...thank God! But, as a rule (now, especially),

I'll never do that, anymore.

I wonder too, was yours one of the "Pre or Post Flood" versions? I have a feeling, there was a LOT of

pressure, to get out as many "post flood" versions, as possible, as quickly as possible. It's no excuse,

obviously, but it might be a reason? Who knows? But, I do know, that my '50's Tribute Gold Top, has

some "finish" issues, beyond their "slightly relic'd" description, that was (to me) obviously, the result

of working to fast, and carelessness. In the end, I decided it was not enough of a "problem," to risk

sending it back, only to get another one, that was worse, or wasn't as nice a player/tone monster! My

dealer, offered unconditionally, to send it back, and/or make it right...but, I didn't want to risk it.

I'm delighted to say, the new '60's Tribute Gold Top, is "Flawless," except where it's supposed to be,

by definition.

Anyway...good luck to you, I hope you get it straightened out, to your satisfaction.

CB

Ha! The flood was why they didn't ship in a timely manner, and will likely be seen by some as the reason for defects, but I can't imagine letting them have it both ways.

I waited until November for a "hurried up" model?

While I agree that it's best to buy in person where one can make a reasoned decision to accept or reject what is presented, it somehow doesn't excuse crappy workmanship, particularly given the prices charged.

I suppose a not-insignificant part of that price is intended to recover warranty and customer service costs - and we will all pay those costs whether or not we buy in person.

As I said, I might just be the unlucky one - but the more poor workmanship I see (whether it is just a sloppy glue joint or a delaminating fretboard), the less inclined I am to believe that it has anything to do with luck.

Archived