Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lungimsam

Tried another new SG Standard Bass today.

I love SG guitars, and want an SG bass, but the one's I have tried just sound like something is wrong with them.

I have tried two out and neither sounded good.

Couldn't get any clarity, twangy, and muddy at the same time. The g string sounded like it was quacking. Maybe its the amps in the shops???? Despite all my tweaking, the basses sounded terrible.

I need to get one of these played thru my own amp to really see what they sound like I guess.

The other prob, is they are like roses in winter to find. Noone has them in the local shops, and unless I special order with the commitment to buy, I can't try anymore for a looooong time. AArrrgggghhhhhhh!

There is a Youtube video of Janis Joplin at monterey pop festival singing Ball and Chain, and when the song starts, they show the bassist playing a late 60's EB3 and the sound is to die for. Why can't the new ones sound so good! I was born 18 years too late.

I have the $ and the interest, but the sound is just not delivering on the one's I've played. So frustrated.

When I picked up my SG at Sam Ash, I ran it through a Hartke. It sounded ok. Everything worked on it. The true test would be when i got it home. I ran it through my Mesa gear, and it was amazing. The amp has so much to do with almost any electric guitar. It's a balance of the two items working together to give that sound you either like or hate. I'm more than satisfied with everything about my 2010 SG Std. Bass. One other ting that may sound stupid, bring your tuner with you. Basses in stores are handled so much, their tune may be out just enough to not be noticed that they're slightly out of tune and not sound right. My SG came right from the factory, no friendly hands on it. For all we know some of the floor model SG's may need a reset up. The saddles on the bridge can be messed with also throwing off the set up.

My EB-2 sounds like Armageddon through a solid state Acoustic amp. It can sound like a thunderstorm rolling in or it can do a pretty good Entwhistle imitation. Put it through a different amp, my brother's Ashdown, for example, and it sounds more like a stand-up bass. The amp makes a huge difference.

My EB-2 sounds like Armageddon through a solid state Acoustic amp. It can sound like a thunderstorm rolling in or it can do a pretty good Entwhistle imitation. Put it through a different amp, my brother's Ashdown, for example, and it sounds more like a stand-up bass. The amp makes a huge difference.

[thumbup] So right on!

...I love SG guitars, and want an SG bass, but the one's I have tried just sound like something is wrong with them.

I played an EB-3 for years - through a 50w Bassman. Get an old underpowered tube amp and push it 'till it's in full breakup, then apply EB-3. (Gotta fiddle with the Varitone a bit, too)

I love how they look and feel, and if you need that kind of saw-toothy tone all of the time, they're bound to be good.

After about 1976, I couldn't take it anymore and went looking for a bass (basses, amps, etc.) that offered a little more tonal variety.

If anyone is bored and looking for something fun to do, please upload (if you can) some soundclips of your SG basses so I can hear what kinda sound you all are getting out of your basses.

I played an EB-3 for years - through a 50w Bassman. Get an old underpowered tube amp and push it 'till it's in full breakup, then apply EB-3. (Gotta fiddle with the Varitone a bit, too)

I love how they look and feel, and if you need that kind of saw-toothy tone all of the time, they're bound to be good.

After about 1976, I couldn't take it anymore and went looking for a bass (basses, amps, etc.) that offered a little more tonal variety.

Thanks for the great first hand experience and advice! That 50 watt Bassman sounds like it would do the trick. The Fender amp I use now is modern and doesn't clip too much with the gain up all the way. I need that tube power! I shoulda been born in 1948 so I coulda been 20 in '68 and had all the great gear to use!

I used a Traynor 100 watt Bassmate with a 2X12 cab for my EB0 in 1969-1972. That was about as close as I could come sound wise back then to a Sunn or Kustom amp. Today I'm still into a 2X12 cab, but it's a SG Std. and the Mesa 600 watt M6 Carbine head. Even if I wasn't using the M6, I would still use a Mesa of some configuration. The Hybrid amp works so well with the Gibson Bass. It has a sound of one of the all tube 60's Fender Bassman with 2X12 cab. I'm very old school about the sounds from the 12" speakers for a bass.

Lungimsam; What amp do you use?

I use a Fender 400. My Precisions sound wonderful on it. Very clear, yet powerful tone and warm as all getout.

It is not my amp, I just use it at church. Big amp. Not sure the wattage. Passive/active/mute/enhance switches. 2 different EQ channels on the amp. I use the basic channel: Bass/Treb Gain and Volume knobs and it sounds terrific.

I would love to get an SG Bass blowin' on it to see how it would sound.

I really like the sounds of a SG Std. going through 12" speakers. That's one of the reasons I went with the Mesa.

`

Thanks for the great first hand experience and advice!

That 50 watt Bassman sounds like it would do the trick.

The Fender amp I use now is modern and doesn't clip too

much with the gain up all the way. I need that tube power!

I shoulda been born in 1948 so I coulda been 20 in '68 and

had all the great gear to use!

Yeah you coulda been a legend by now ....

While amps do make important differences, and with

some basses the match-up is almost everything, I dig

the sound of my SG thru everything I've ever plugged

it into. I've never really tried it on a tube amp, but one

thing I've noticed is that it's the loudest bass I've got,

meaning it gets more loudness out of any given amp

at lower gain and master volume settings, compared

to ALL my other basses .... and "ALL" is in bold caps

for a biiiiig reason !

Anyway, that comparison means the SG is perfect, or

maybe ultimate, for pushing a tube amp. It's pumping

out heaps of gain on its own, without any impedence

weirdness cuz it's not an active signal ..... unless you

use pedals ... so just Don't You Do That !

My SG is a Supreme, which may be a different tone

but as far as the huge output, there's no difference in

PU's, Standard or Supreme. The tone is aggressive

even with flats. Each PU is extreme. The big neck PU

is as "neck-ish" as can be, thick and barely defined

deep bass. The little bridge humbugger is likewise

extreme .... extremely "bridge-ish", like some big cat

about to tear you to shreds. Yet somehow, together

these divergent personalities sound very musical !

`

[thumbup] to Golem; My SG is louder than my G&L SB-2 that I played through the same Mesa amp. I had to reset the amp settings big time for the SG. No complaints here! A very Ballsy bass. [thumbup]

Hey Lungimsam; Do you think you're going to pull the trigger on a SG Std. Bass? I really don't care what they call it, Reissue or Std., Faded, or Heritage Cherry, They sound and play great.

Hey Lungimsam; Do you think you're going to pull the trigger on a SG Std. Bass? I really don't care what they call it, Reissue or Std., Faded, or Heritage Cherry, They sound and play great.

I would like to get one, but am waiting for more to come to the shops in my area. One place, with the best price said they could special order it. But I'd be stuck with it if I didn't like it.

The other thing I am wondering is what is in store for 2011 - EB3 reissue? Walnut sg bass? I wonder if I should wait and see what new comes along, if anything, before I buy. It would be a bummer to get the heritage SG and then 2 months later find out they are coming out with walnut, or an EB3 reissue.

AAAAh! What to do, what to do?!?

I didn't have that problem since I always liked the looks of the Heritage Cherry. To me the SG Std. is as close as I think they will come to to the old EB0. I really don't get into a lot extra switches and electronics on a bass. Two volume and one tone control is all I need on the bass. My amp takes care of the rest of the sounds.

I just got a EB-0 for 64 from GuitarDenter I will let you know how it sounds. My advice for the EB-3 turn off the neck pick up, play hard over the bridge pick up like Jack Bruce did.

Hey Basshole; I really want to hear your opinion of that EB0. I regret selling my 1969 EB0, but I like my SG Std. I'm playing now.

Not a problem I will tell you what I think. I play through a Acoustic 360 so keep that in mind.

and

If I don't like it, You can be the first one to buy it if you choose.

I played the new EB-3, I did like it, I played through Acoustic B20. It had a nice thick sound

I didn't have that problem since I always liked the looks of the Heritage Cherry. To me the SG Std. is as close as I think they will come to to the old EB0. I really don't get into a lot extra switches and electronics on a bass. Two volume and one tone control is all I need on the bass. My amp takes care of the rest of the sounds.

It's not a specific control configuration that I am after, it is mainly the body shape. For instance: I like the flatter neck joint and the deeper bevel cuts of the '61 EB3. Look how the horn bevel cut really swooshes all the way down to the top of the pickguard. Click on the pics for enlargements:

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1961gibsonEB3.php

The '61 SG guitar reissues are the same way (which is why I got one). Same neck joints too. If they did the guitar, could the bass version be far behind?

If all Gibson is gonna offer is the new SG Bass in cherry then I guess I am ready to buy. But if they are gonna reissue a '61 EB3, or produce either in walnut, I would rather wait.

A friend played a 1969 EB0 through an Acoustic 361 for both studio and stage. It had a sound that was crisp a bottom that wouldn't quit.

I think what they did on the new SG is lowered the pickguard down a bit. Trimmed a little off the top. The low part of the cut appears to be a little lower than 19th fret on the new SG. It's up a little higher on the 1961. So slight. I see what you're saying though about the bevel cuts. If you really like the walnut, you may opt to hold off and see what if anything comes out.

You are right, the pick guard is definitely different than the '61.

I like everything about the new SG better than the old '61 except for the '61's body bevelling and smaller neck joint.

However; he new SG's hardware is much prettier (especially the bridge) and the layout is less clunky and cluttered. I also like the trapezoid inlays better than the dot inlays of the '61.

Toss up between cherry and walnut color. I like them both equally. I guess they only do cherry because that is a '60's thing, and Gibson is touting the Standard as the new version of the EB3. I think walnut came out later in 1970.

Somehow, in my past obsession with SG guitars, I got hung up on the '61 body shape... I guess I am being too picky.

I am sure I'd be happy with a standard once I got one. I just have to keep looking around for them. Maybe I'll go ahead and special order from the friendly salesman I know in Wheaton.