Gibson Brands Forums

les paul thru vox?

renin74

I'm not sure what you're after in an amp' date=' but the Valvetronics (AD xx VT) come in 15, 30, 50, 100 watt in combo and a 100 watt head. One of the really cool features was you can adjust the output without compromising your settings, and its a tube amp!!! But the AC's are real sound monsters. :-k [/quote']

It's sort of a tube amp! Vox's own description ...

"The AD15VT, AD30VT, AD50VT and AD100VT use Valve Reactor technology, and

feature a power amp circuit containing a 12AX7 (ECC83) dual triode valve (“vacuum

tube”) that would normally be used in a preamp. This allows the amp to produce the

true sound and feel of a bona fide all valve (tube) amp. "

I've been less than impressed myself. It's an old trick - use one tube to add some coloring to a solid state amp.

It's sort of a tube amp! Vox's own description ...

"The AD15VT' date=' AD30VT, AD50VT and AD100VT use Valve Reactor technology, and

feature a power amp circuit containing a 12AX7 (ECC83) dual triode valve (“vacuum

tube”) that would normally be used in a preamp. This allows the amp to produce the

true sound and feel of a bona fide all valve (tube) amp. "

I've been less than impressed myself. It's an old trick - use one tube to add some coloring to a solid state amp.

[/quote']

You're right Pup. This is my first venture away from pure digital. Even if it's not quite a real tube amp, you can get some really nice warm tones. My next amp will be a true tube, perhaps an AC or Marshall.

I've got an AC15TBX I'm dying to try a LP on. I've only tried it through my Fender Concert (90s), and that's when I fell in love. I've been on a search for the perfect LP for about 3 months now. I'm about to make my purchase -- either a new R8, or a sweet, used R9. Can't wait to try it through the AC15. I do have another humbucking guitar (Yamaha AES1500), and it sounds awesome through it.

If you are talking about the Valvetronix series, I'm sure it sounds pretty good. They'll have Marshall-ish models, which would be the perfect LP/amp combo. Nothing beats a real tube amp, though.

I hold these simple, traditional, truths to be rockingly self-evident. You can't go wrong with any of the following traditional combinations:

Fender Guitar + Fender Amp

Rickenbacker + VOX

Les Paul + Marshall

Of course, all combinations of the above will probably sound great, too, but these combinations have created many of the signature sounds we've all heard throughout the years.

-Brad

someone best describe the sound you get when matching an LP with a VOX

I could describe the sound you get as blue or green... even pink... but I guess you'll have to try one with a Gibson: Just like entering heaven... thousands of angels singing at the same time... very harmonic sound... easy on the ears... tasteful... imposible to forget.

I had a Fender Blues Jr. and thought about switching it for a Vox. I brought an AC15 home and did a comparison.

The best way I could describe the Vox was it sounded like an old amp. Weaker, thinner and not as loud as the Blues Jr., but has a classic sound.

The only thing I don't like about with the AC15 is the reverb...it sucks, too fake sounding...but other than that, it's fabulous!

Owned a Valvetronix, AC30CCX, & AC30BM. No interest in other models (yuk!).

The Valvetronix (2 X 12) was cool at first w/ all the effects & stuff but lacked smooth warm tone.

The AC30 Custom Classic w/ Vox Blues was way better but you gotta have an attenuator cuz these are way too

loud. Sounded GREAT w/ a LP or PRS!

The AC30BM is my favorite of the three. Only one knob (volume) but to me this one had the best sound (but not by much). Great w/ LPs!!! Very clear sounding even at high gain w/ an awesome roar. I still own this one. The Vox sound is not for everybody. I love it!

Honestly though, I'm more into Marshalls. Gotta try 'em... only way to judge for yourself.

The Valvetronix (2 X 12) was cool at first w/ all the effects & stuff but lacked smooth warm tone.

That sums up my experience with them pretty well. They sound pretty good at low volumes. Great for practice. When they have to compete with anything else, they don't have the warmth and presence of a tube amp.

Also lots of the programmed sounds seemed real processed - very "wet". Too much delay, chorus, etc. Of course you can tweak that, but why spend a lot of time trying to get a good basic warm tone when you can get that to begin with in a good tube amp?

I have a Vox AX30CC2X (loaded with Celestion Blues) and all three of my LPs sound very good through it. In fact, every single one of my guitars sounds good through it.

It's a really versatile amp. With the Norm channel you can get old-school (and by old-school I'm talking late '50s) clean through crunchy, and an EQ switch on the Norm channel yields a brighter more modern sound.

The Top Boost channel is hotter, with more preamp gain, and it can give you some very brilliant tones, sort of like a Fender amp on steriods.

The really cool thing is that you can blend the two channels to darken up the Top Boost channel and approach Marshall-dom.

Highly recommended.

If you do demo an AC30CC, try to do a side-by-side comparison of two amps, one equipped with the Celestion Alnico Blues and the other equipped with the Vox GSH12-30. The Blues will blow you away. They're significantly more expensive but IMO it is money well spent.

It is cheaper to buy the speakers separately (like 100 or so cheaper).

But if you dont want to install them or dont know how to do it... probably a tech will charge you 100 or so for the job...

Now what was the point of that?

I changed mine... bought the one with warfedale speakers ("vox speakers") and upgraded them to celestions... I am thinking about upgrading again to eminence red fangs... they are made after the celestion blues but, are made in england (correct me if I'm wrong but didnt celestion move the factory to china a while ago? I'm home and cant look into my amp!).

(correct me if I'm wrong but didnt celestion move the factory to china a while ago? I'm home and cant look into my amp!).

You are correct; the Celestions are now Chinese-made. By all accounts, though, they compare very favorably with the pre-Chinese speakers.

There are a couple of less expensive alternatives to the Celestion Blues. Weber makes a version that is supposed to sound very close (the Blue Dog), and Warehouse Speakers have an even more affordable version called the Black and Blue.

The Red Fang is a good choice, too.

I have a Vox AX30CC2X (loaded with Celestion Blues) and all three of my LPs sound very good through it. In fact' date=' every single one of my guitars sounds good through it.

It's a really versatile amp. With the Norm channel you can get old-school (and by old-school I'm talking late '50s) clean through crunchy, and an EQ switch on the Norm channel yields a brighter more modern sound.

The Top Boost channel is hotter, with more preamp gain, and it can give you some very brilliant tones, sort of like a Fender amp on steriods.

The really cool thing is that you can blend the two channels to darken up the Top Boost channel and approach Marshall-dom.

Highly recommended. [/quote']

Well said!!! Accurate description!