Gibson Brands Forums

Band set up

Silenced Fred

Im sorry I could not get past .06 seconds not even close to being music, and yes a drummer and guitar is not enough even playing your own music. But thats the way I know and understand music.

[blink]

The first few seconds is him getting feedback from the amp...

Well, looks like someone won't be getting tickets to my first show then... [crying]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fred.. I'm with you man.

I think the 2 piece is great when you have the right type of players.

My friend who left had a sweet "vintage" Moog Prodigy which can do some low, grindy analog synth sounds. That's a pretty sweet bass sound IMO. I wish I had that. I have to say my friend and I sound pretty full even recorded.

[blink]

The first few seconds is him getting feedback from the amp...

Well, looks like someone won't be getting tickets to my first show then... [crying]

I thought the whole deal was a little on the suckish-side, but maybe that's just my inability to get it.

On the other hand, maybe it just sucked.

I have no interest in just being a cover band, anyone can do that. I want to branch out and do my own music

Here's another strange misconception that common among younger musicians. It's not as easy as one might think. It's actually Easier to write you own material, from a technical perspective, because you have the freedom to decide what chord or what lead line to do next. Your decision will, of course, be based on your own knowledge of your instrument. Doing covers "Right" you have to nail the thought processes of someone else. Plus be able to lean and play songs that you are not familiar with, but be able to sell it to an audience like it's your own.

You have to be able to make the audience believe they just saw that song live, not simply reminded of a song they like. That's the difference between a good cover band and a poor cover band. The only thing easier about covering is getting paid.

It's a lot easier to paint your own picture, than copy Van Gogh. I've always tried to balance both.

Kimba - me too, mostly.

In the past year and a half I've also gigged with another guitar guy and one of us often would grab a bass... Depended on material. On occasion a drummer - and that kinda meant it tended to work better with a bass. On some blues stuff, though, I used the Leslie emulator and kinda did more of a B3 "thing."

I do things a bit differently if I'm using an electric or an A-E on solo stuff - but not a huge difference. For what it's worth, I don't use the computer to add stuff. Yet, anyway.

m

That Black Keys performance was sick! I am a pretty passive fan, but I love his guitar tones. Was that a Fuzz Factory?

Covers vs. originals - It is apples and oranges. I am not going to say one is better than the other. You have to find your own way musically. Me? I never had the skills to play all those classic rock tunes and I always felt blech about playing modern top 40, which by the time I was playing out in college it was Counting Crows and Alanis Morissette. I have my own musical paths to explore and playing my own material my way is it. If people didn't like it I would fall on my face, but in the end I could say I did it my way.

Here's another strange misconception that common among younger musicians. It's not as easy as one might think. It's actually Easier to write you own material, from a technical perspective, because you have the freedom to decide what chord or what lead line to do next. Your decision will, of course, be based on your own knowledge of your instrument. Doing covers "Right" you have to nail the thought processes of someone else. Plus be able to lean and play songs that you are not familiar with, but be able to sell it to an audience like it's your own.

You have to be able to make the audience believe they just saw that song live, not simply reminded of a song they like. That's the difference between a good cover band and a poor cover band. The only thing easier about covering is getting paid.

It's a lot easier to paint your own picture, than copy Van Gogh. I've always tried to balance both.

I think you're right in a way but I think it's a lot more difficult to write good music than to learn good music. I can learn classics all day long. Unfortunately I can't write classics all day long. Or at all.

I can dig on playing a cover and really making it your own but I don't care for cover bands. Just my humble opinion. No offense I just don't like listening to covers (unless the band makes it their own).

Obviously a lot of people like going to bars and listening to cover bands it's just not really my thing.

I mean, a lot of people go out and play covers. I'm not saying it isn't hard to do that, but to play someone else's hit is a lot easier than writing your own, IMO. Now I need to dig myself out of this hole... You gave a very articulate answer I don't believe I can counter...

That Black Keys performance was sick! I am a pretty passive fan, but I love his guitar tones. Was that a Fuzz Factory?

Covers vs. originals - It is apples and oranges. I am not going to say one is better than the other. You have to find your own way musically. Me? I never had the skills to play all those classic rock tunes and I always felt blech about playing modern top 40, which by the time I was playing out in college it was Counting Crows and Alanis Morissette. I have my own musical paths to explore and playing my own material my way is it. If people didn't like it I would fall on my face, but in the end I could say I did it my way.

I can't wait to see them live. He gets into the songs. That's the one biggest thing I want to do, just crank it. I really like deep fuzzes like that, and they don't work too well with a bass player. Maybe a synth bassist would work much better...

I played covers in high school at school events, and I hated it. Some of the stuff I write people like, some of it, people say what the hell were you on? But overall, it appeals to some people and then they tell their friends, etc.

And yes, that is one of my favorite performances from them. They still have tickets available for the Dec. 30 show. Its all ages, you should try and take the missus. I'll be there with my drummer

Fred using a synth as the bass of a band can be really cool. Find someone with a badass set of keys and try it.

Also totally off topic but have you or evol been to Rock n Roll Vintage? I just ordered my Fuzz Factory from them and it seems like a pretty cool store. (they're in IL that's why I'm asking)

Fred using a synth as the bass of a band can be really cool. Find someone with a badass set of keys and try it.

Also totally off topic but have you or evol been to Rock n Roll Vintage? I just ordered my Fuzz Factory from them and it seems like a pretty cool store. (they're in IL that's why I'm asking)

I have not. I have been to Chicago Music Exchange, and want to go to Make'n Music soon. I'll check them out though.

Here's another thought, btw...

Nobody's mentioned quality of PA as a major factor regardless of how many people are involved and whether it's solo or whatever...

Most venues around here, you've gotta have your own... That also can help make a sound feel bigger or smaller...

... Secondly...

I think there are two ways of playing stuff other people wrote. One is the "cover." That's when you play a Beatle song and try to sound like the Beatles.

The other is the "version" where your style makes the basics of a tune/lyric your own. Jazz players, for example, have been playing "standards" for years and the reeeeally good ones definitely make material their own.

m

I think you're right in a way but I think it's a lot more difficult to write good music than to learn good music. I can learn classics all day long. Unfortunately I can't write classics all day long. Or at all.

I can dig on playing a cover and really making it your own but I don't care for cover bands. Just my humble opinion. No offense I just don't like listening to covers (unless the band makes it their own).

Obviously a lot of people like going to bars and listening to cover bands it's just not really my thing.

Your opinion is shared by the majority of Musicians I've met, but not the majority of Non-musicians. One thing I learned in the 90's, when I was trying to do a jam Band thing with originals and "Covers" played our way was that musicians dug it, but it was lost on regular folks. Granted, that could be a Southern California thing. Personally, I can't stand listening to Bar Bands, but I love being in one. It's all about audience reaction for me, I've always been 50% musician 50% Entertainer. I'd tap dance with sparklers if I thought it would get a rise out of the audience.

I think there are two ways of playing stuff other people wrote. One is the "cover." That's when you play a Beatle song and try to sound like the Beatles.

The other is the "version" where your style makes the basics of a tune/lyric your own. Jazz players, for example, have been playing "standards" for years and the reeeeally good ones definitely make material their own.

I have no experience with PAs so I couldn't comment on your first point. Your second point, though, is spot on. I don't think either way is really right or wrong, but to my taste, I tend to find more interest in a cover when it is more of a creative reinterpretation than a straight imitation. Again, not saying one is better than the other--it's just that a more imitative cover usually strikes me as redundant when recorded, and insincere when performed live. Of course, if the way you feel a piece is essentially identical to the way you first heard it, there's no shame in that, and if making it one's own involves imitating the original, so be it. I think it's important, though, for the sake of the musician in question to develop the abilities to reinterpret a piece of music to fit one's own tastes and judgments. That's why, for instance, Jimi Hendrix's recording of "All Along the Watchtower" has become the gold standard, and Dylan's original is an oft-forgotten "lost treasure" of sorts.

Also, I've been jamming here and there with a drummer lately. We do a lot of covers of songs by The Band, and I've got to say, we've made them our own. Our version of "Ophelia" is something...else.

I mean, a lot of people go out and play covers. I'm not saying it isn't hard to do that, but to play someone else's hit is a lot easier than writing your own, IMO. Now I need to dig myself out of this hole... You gave a very articulate answer I don't believe I can counter...

Playing someone else's hit may be easier, but really "Selling It" is hard. at my local watering hole, where there's a rotation of probably 15-18 cover bands that play there. Only about 3 of them can really sell it, and that's what I'm talking about. Selling It, not just Playing It.

Nobody's mentioned quality of PA as a major factor regardless of how many people are involved and whether it's solo or whatever...

Most venues around here, you've gotta have your own... That also can help make a sound feel bigger or smaller...

... Secondly...

m

I've always felt the Song dictates whether you should Cover it or Render it. If it's a tune that folks really expect to hear played like the radio, then I'll try do cover it, if it's a song that was written with Improv and Interpretation in the structure, then I'll take it on a journey.

... Secondly...

m

Everywhere has their own PA around by me. I have worked on some versions of songs, but a lot of it won't appeal to the audience.

The White Stripes, most of the time live, plays the song Fell In Love With A Girl, which is a very punk-ish style of song with easy repeating power chords, and turns it into a slower, melodic piece live. It gets lost on the audience. A hit song by the band who originally played it :rolleyes:

I don't want to knock Cover Bands at all, but that's not my style just playing covers or versions. I want to play my own stuff

Been there a few times since it is in my neighborhood. It's not a bad place. I recognize at least one of the cats from Chicago Music Exchange. Their* shop is really small, but they have a lot of tasty pedals. Most of their amps and guitars must be in a warehouse.

*Hey, idiot it's their not there

Ahh. Yeah I only looked at the pedal part oftheir site and I thought the place must be huge and mind blowing because they had so many sweet pedals that I never see in any stores.

I just stumbled on their website while looking on google for a FF. They had one with a cool paintjob that I just had to have so I pulled the trigger on it. I have a picture of it from their site but I'm holding out on you guys till I get it.

Man I can't wait for that UPS truck to roll up...

Ahh. Yeah I only looked at the pedal part oftheir site and I thought the place must be huge and mind blowing because they had so many sweet pedals that I never see in any stores.

I just stumbled on their website while looking on google for a FF. They had one with a cool paintjob that I just had to have so I pulled the trigger on it. I have a picture of it from their site but I'm holding out on you guys till I get it.

Man I can't wait for that UPS truck to roll up...

Since we are talking about pedals now... I might be able to get a Fulltone 69 from this kid who plays bass in a straight up trade for the bass I bought for like 150 bucks :blink:

I'm ****ing stoked. The world is finally going in my favor

Back to the "rendering" or "cover."

I think some bands that are put together for specific "sound like" purposes can do well at least for a while depending on how far they're willing to travel. Also, some "Standards" in a standard sorta style are something I think almost any saloon musician has to learn to handle with the style of a professional entertainer.

("Play Proud Mary," shouted the drunk lady two tables from the stage three or four times during almost any other piece. Guess what... it may be a good idea to play it, and it's not that hard for a CCR style rendition. It ain't "selling out," it's playing music for money.)

But I think "renditions" can be further subdivided into "pretty close in general style but reflecting my/my band's instrumentation, vocal qualities and such," or into the "I'm taking a whole different tack on this piece."

For example, I think the old 1950s classic "You belong to me" (See the pyramids along the Nile) more recently turned into kind of a "chick flick" piece. It has a breathy girl singer - or reasonable facsimile <grin> backed by a strummy acoustic guitar thing. The original and versions that followed were pretty similarly done with fancier chords and orchestral-style arrangements even if played by one guitar and/or keyboard. So there are at least two totally different concepts for the piece.

So... I don't know how much relevance this analogy means to some younger folks on here, but it's like asking who did "Misty" either vocal and/or instrumental. Nearly everybody who has done it has followed one of several basic concepts for the piece but... my memories of Roy Buchanan and Johnny Mathis aren't necessarily what even another guy my age might think of.

m

Archived