Gibson Brands Forums

First Gig?

MrNylon

What was the first gig you did? Mine was when I was in a band in high school. We played at a civic center in 1969. We played a lot of

Jimi Hendrix, and Blue Cheer. You have to start somewhere.

First gig was a girls sweet 16 birthday party at a firehall. The spring of 75.

Three of us were 15, the drummer and lead singer were 16 and only the drummer could drive.

First song was Takin' Care Of Business.

Last song was Johnny B Goode

We all made 20 bucks that night.

RocknRoll dreams baby.msp_thumbup.gif

We were 13 and played at a church music concert at a local college. We played all Greek music (I'm not kidding!) Trust me that music is not easy to learn. Most of it is in 7/8 time and I learned a lot about modes, like Dorian #4 which is seen throughout a lot of it.

If we're counting School, it was in 8th Grade, a regular Beginner Band Recital, then Marching Band and concert band and Jazz Band recitals and concerts all through High School. Entered the talent Show every year, and played a 15 minute instrumental solo gig for the High Schools production of "The Pirates of Penzance" when I was a Junior.

My first real life Gig was at 18 years old in a place called "The Loafer", later called "The Roadhouse" but now sits empty, waiting for a competent owners to revive it. I was called upon to take the place of a Doctor/Guitarist who was called away on a Medical Emergency, so he couldn't play that night. I was nervous, as I'd only had time for two rehearsals with the group, but I nailed it, and they were more than impressed. Great times, and great memories.

first paying gig was at a bar like the bar in the Blues Bro with the chicken wire fence.

same here........Five Star Cantina in my hometown....

1500 sq. foot "honky tonk" with knotted pine flooring.....cracks between the floorboards wide enough for a cable to snag in.

they only served Bud/Miller/JIm Beam/Jose Quervo.......bring your own mixer/chaser if you need it. Usual weekend crowd was about 25 people.

The singer & I were semi-regulars there, as we both lived about 1/2 mile from it......they'd never had music before, not even a jukebox. We volunteered to play a "freebie", and never got asked for a return engagement......

Guess they weren't ready for Hair Metal....but they DID install a jukebox......that was stolen the next week [cursing]

14 years old in 1989 on the second floor of a music shop. We played about four songs, oldies, but our closer was a burning "Smokin' In The Boys Room" not really burning, it was pretty sad but everyone has to have a first time so saulgood.

First official gig; 13, threepiece, extention cords, outside setup, loud, fun. Two Zep songs, two Blood Sweat and Tears, 1/2 of Takin' of Business; cops show up, show over. First of many shows shut down by the po po.

Packed up, went inside, indulged in underage drinking and smoky stuff.....Fun...

First rock band gig... fall of '62.

First gig with over 300 in audience, summer of '65 for a folkie gig - even was on live tv for a promo.

First time performing music solo in public - '51. (keyboard)

EDIT: OMG - I think that makes me sound as if I'm a little bit "old." Sheesh. I'm really only 35, honest. Well, inside anyhow. The creases on the face screw up the self image. @#$%@#$

m

First rock band gig... fall of '62.

First gig with over 300 in audience, summer of '65 for a folkie gig - even was on live tv for a promo.

First time performing music solo in public - '51. (keyboard)

EDIT: OMG - I think that makes me sound as if I'm a little bit "old." Sheesh. I'm really only 35, honest. Well, inside anyhow. The creases on the face screw up the self image. @#$%@#$

m

[lol] [lol]

We were 13 and played at a church music concert at a local college. We played all Greek music (I'm not kidding!) Trust me that music is not easy to learn. Most of it is in 7/8 time and I learned a lot about modes, like Dorian #4 which is seen throughout a lot of it.

That all sounds Greek to me..... [crying]

:-({|=

I don't remember my first gig with guitars, bass, etc... Probably a Jr HS lunch time thing.

Played "John Barleycorn Must Die" solo on a nylon string acoustic in a 7th grade Social Studies class.

Earlier than that, I was playing Cornet in the elementary school band in the late '60s - we practiced "Pop Goes The Weasel" for weeks (seemed like forever) - I wasn't quite sure what to expect, as The Beatles had been on TV - but no one screamed or cried or tried to chase us down the street after we were done.

My first "Gig," was at 13 (Summer, 1963)...with 2 other friends, on bass and drums.

I borrowed the drummer's brother's SG Junior, and played through his old

Gibson amp, as I had no "electric" guitar, yet. It was at the local park,

on the tennis courts. We played several "Kingsmen" songs, some Chuck Berry,

and Buddy Holly. Got an enthusiastic response (parents, and friends, are like that).

I guess we sounded good enough, as we got 3 (paying) gigs, (2 school dances, 1 prom)

out of that experience. But...there were NO other "bands" around, at the

time, either. LOL So, that was my start, of this insanity. The drummer now sells

re-estate, in Arizona, and the bass player is an orthopedic surgeon, in Oklahoma.

CB

Riverside...

What's fun is to start "Pop goes the weasel" in it's original mayor key, then switch down to the minor - e.g., start in A and switch to Am...

Then switch to 3/4 time. <grin>

m

Yeah.

The 4th grade Orchestra's version of "Theme and Variation on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" was worse than the death penalty, though.

My first gig was at the age of 21...in my first and only band (the one that I started before i knew how to play guitar)...

Had about 50 people from work come out to see it....we were "OK" but the crowd just helped the vibe...everyone was partying and having a great time.

I was soooo nervous. I was sick sick sick before the show...almost barfing, but as soon as they told me to get on stage, i threw my guitar over my shoulder and went up there. I hit the first note and was FINE!

Aw memories...i have a recording of that show too!! Man!

Archived