Gibson Brands Forums

Trading my 08 Classic

FAT BOY

I'm thinking about trading my LP CLassic in on a new LP Standard. I tried out a Cherry Burst and a Dessert Burst last week, and liked them both.And I would really rather have a Burst than a Ebony, which my Classic is.I was wondering what the new Standards are like? If there is any issue's with them. I like my Classic ,but I could part with it for the right deal on a Burst....

I would strongly consider the Les Paul Traditional Plus...In my view ( which is shared with others on this forum ) the LP Traditional and the LP Traditional Plus are the new LP Standards. My point being is that the original Standard was meant to be the Standard, and became the affordable LP way back when....Today's standards are chambered, which is OK if you don't mind a chambered Standard...But the Traditional Plus LPs are non chambered and thus are truer to the original Standards than today's Standards are...You want a 'Desert Burst' LP ? Check out the LP Traditional Plus in desert burst; it is non chambered, has (most) an incredible flamed top, and is, depending on how you shop, two to five hundered dollars cheaper, and is a much better guitar...Seems to me that you want to up-grade, if that's the case, I suggest the Traditional Plus...I've got one in desert burst, and it is a workhorse and (in my view) museum quality..

(I don't understand much the concept of trading up or selling Les Pauls, as I at this point wish to add as many as I can to my collection of guitars, but,)

Yup, Big Bill is right...And, on page four or so there is a thread by MonstrO called LES PAUL STANDARD that has some info...

Trading in your Classic might not be the best of ideas. Shops will not pay you for what it's worth, they need to sell it too. When the deal is done, you would wish you kept the Classic and paid cash for the Standard. You will most likely get much more money if you sold it on Graig's List.

But the Traditional Plus LPs are non chambered and thus are truer to the original Standards than today's Standards are..

Heck no, the original Standards did not look like this. Your Traditional does.

What you have is a bi-product of the Norlin era implemented to cut costs and use otherwise unusable/heavy woods for the body.

Now that Gibson offers a new form of weight-relief (chambering), people view these swiss cheese holes as superior when, in fact, they're still rubbish.

The originals had true solid-bodies and long neck tenon.

Your Traditional has neither; so, don't kid yourself by comparing it to an original LP and say it's more in line with an original when it's actually not.

At least the new chambered Standards have long tenon.

1998LPstandardradiograph.jpg

FAT BOY, most LP enthusiasts don't like the new Standards because they're chambered and have all those new features that some people believe don't belong on a LP. You said you've played two and really like them; so, that's all that matters. Try out a few different models but if you still prefer the new Standard, by all means go for it. They're great guitars; just not for everyone.

Heck no, the original Standards did not look like this. Your Traditional does.

What you have is a bi-product of the Norlin era implemented to cut costs and use otherwise unusable/heavy woods for the body.

Now that Gibson offers a new form of weight-relief (chambering), people view these swiss cheese holes as superior when, in fact, they're still rubbish.

The originals had true solid-bodies and long neck tenon.

Your Traditional has neither; so, don't kid yourself by comparing it to an original LP and say it's more in line with an original when it's actually not.

At least the new chambered Standards have long tenon.

1998LPstandardradiograph.jpg

Of course you are very correct R9, and you are truly the most knowledgable LP person here. Perhaps I should have stated it more along the lines of " A LP Traditional Plus is an option available along with the LP Standards available these days, one being chambered and one being 'weight relieved', or swiss cheesed, and although both Standards and Traditionals are being marketed as Standards, none of them are really 'Standards' in the true sense and use of the term. I believe that NeoConMan suggested that they be called LP Moderns. If one wants an authentic LP Standard, I strongly suggest looking into a reissue or a custom shop LP."

I do not kid myself in considering my LP TP a true Standard, but as an affordable option until I save enough to buy the real deal reissues.....Thanks for correcting me R9; my bad !!!

( I can't help it if Gibson continues to use the term STANDARD for these new models, but I can't stop them from doing that either )

I'm thinking about trading my LP CLassic in on a new LP Standard. I tried out a Cherry Burst and a Dessert Burst last week, and liked them both.And I would really rather have a Burst than a Ebony, which my Classic is.I was wondering what the new Standards are like? If there is any issue's with them. I like my Classic ,but I could part with it for the right deal on a Burst....

Hey guy's, thanks for the information. R9, I was impressed with the xray of the chambered LP. Anyway, I went to Long&Mcquade this morning to trade my Classic. They had just finnished hanging a brand new Gold Top LP Traditional on the wall, I mean freash out of the box! I walked right past the Standards and took it down and plugged it in. It played beautifuly, it was like it was set up right from the factory just for me. I fell in love with it right away. The funny thing is I was in there two weeks ago and they had GT Standard on the wall. I went back last week to see about a trade, and it was gone. So I tried the two Standard Burst that they had and liked them. So today I go in to see about a trade and they have this Traditional GT on the wall. So to make a short story long, I tried to make a deal and all they would give me for the Classic was $1000.00. The Classic is in new condition, I wasn't going to let it go that cheap. And I wasn't going to let the GT get away, so I kept the Classic and bought the GT anyway. So now I have two GT LP's and the Classic... IMG_0827.jpgIMG_0830.jpg

Sweet !!! Beautiful LP...Good for you for keeping your Classic...How much did you pay for it ?

(got me a gold top with a HB and a P-90 coming to me in a few days; not a giggy though )

Thanks damian, I paid $2250.00, before tax's. I thought that was resonable...

R9, I was impressed with the xray of the chambered LP. ... I wasn't going to let the GT get away, so I kept the Classic and bought the GT anyway. So now I have two GT LP's and the Classic...

Beautiful GT. Congrats B)

Actually, that x-ray R9 posted is of a "weight relieved" LP, which has "swiss cheese" holes drilled in.

The "chambered" LP can have an extensive chamber or two - check it -

Cloud9vsBFGXray800.jpg

Just by looking at those 2 photos, how does one tells which is which? They look the same to me, aside from the pups. Maybe I don't know what to look at/for (this is certainly the reason)

Congratulation to FAT BOY. I am full of envy..

The x-ray on the right has a P-90 in the neck position.

BFG or what, I don't know.

The chambering and Swiss Cheese holes are clearly illustrated in this thread though.

Both my Les Pauls have relief holes, and I don't know if I could ever tell the difference for sure.

Still, a Les Paul is SUPPOSED to be heavy - or at least solid.

Just by looking at those 2 photos, how does one tells which is which? They look the same to me, aside from the pups. Maybe I don't know what to look at/for (this is certainly the reason)

Congratulation to FAT BOY. I am full of envy..

Rizal, when you tap a chambered LP, it will have a hollow sound, I have a swiss cheesed LP but haven't taped it. True solid bodied LPs; a nice dry thud.....

That's a sweet Traditional! I'm glad to hear you kept your Classic, I'm sure it would have broken your heart if you did.

Big Bill, the smart kids listen to us, and the dumb ones don't...And the smart kids win.....[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I wonder if my 93 standard has swiss cheese or is relieved? It weighs a little over 9 lbs, not sure if that is light or not.

Beautiful goldtop!! Congrats. =)

J

Oh no, not again !!! aaggggggg !!!!! I'll try to find out for ya...but weight relieved means swiss cheesed, which I am hoping my new name for it sticks; which is,

American Processed Swiss Cheesed.......Chambered means, aarrrgggggggggggg.......

Repeat after me; Buy only reissue, buy only reissue, buy only reissue.......

Congrats, looks like a nice guitar. $1,000 trade in value on your Classic was actually a pretty good. They're not worth too much money and you have to figure L&M still has to make a profit on it. They probably offered you 80% of what they'd sell it for. Keep in mind that if you try to trade this Trad back to L&M somewhere down the road, they'll offer you around the same amount.

Just by looking at those 2 photos, how does one tells which is which? They look the same to me, aside from the pups.

The one on the left is a chambered reissue. The one on the right is a BFG.

Rizal, when you tap a chambered LP, it will have a hollow sound, I have a swiss cheesed LP but haven't taped it. True solid bodied LPs; a nice dry thud.....

I wouldn't count on it. My old CR8 sounded no different than my R9 in a tap test.

I wonder if my 93 standard has swiss cheese or is relieved? It weighs a little over 9 lbs, not sure if that is light or not.

Weight-relieved/swiss cheese = same thing. 9 holes in the body. Chambering is something different.

'93 Standard is weight-relieved. 9 lbs is right around average. Good weight for a LP.

Archived