Gibson Brands Forums

polish cloths?

hjc333

So I buy a new les paul and I read in the info booklet only to use cotton polish cloths to clean. I contacted Gibson service and they responded by saying to use cotton cloths and that microfiber cloths can scratch your guitar. Yeah, I'm going to go buy some cotton polishing cloths now.

I'm curious as to anyone else's experience with microfiber (yea or nay ???). I've been using the microfiber ones for years (on my strat) with no problems.

Do not use Microfiber. I use Viva Papertowels. They are very soft almost like cotton, won't scratch your finish and you can just throw it away when it is used up. This advice came to me from a professional Guitar Technician / Luthier.

The Microfiber just hold in the dirt and grime and spreads it over the finish the next time you use it. This is especially more important with Nitro finishes because they are soft finishes that succome to micro scratches easily. Your Strat probably had a Poly finish.

Cotton tshirts, cotton socks, old flannel shirts or pajamas. Just make sure you cut the stitching out - the polyester thread will scratch your axe. And DON'T use a tshirt with silkscreening on it. The paint will scratch your finish so badly you'll scream.

I went to Walmart and bought a piece of new flannel that was about 36" square for about $4.00. Now I have a lifetime supply of "fancy" polishing cloths in addition to all those old cotton rags I have out in my workshop.

[thumbup]

I went to Walmart and bought a piece of new flannel that was about 36" square for about $4.00. Now I have a lifetime supply of "fancy" polishing cloths in addition to all those old cotton rags I have out in my workshop.

[thumbup]

That is a great idea, thanks!

Never use a paper towel to clean your guitar. Remember, paper towels are basically ground up wood (I know, there's a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea). Always use a clean, soft cotton cloth, such as a T-shirt or even a sock. When you wash them, don't use a fabric softener because it can add streaks to your guitar's finish (won't hurt the finish any though, will just make it harder to clean it).

I suppose it's a personal choice, but I've been using a real,

no fakee CAR CHAMIOS on all my gits for years to gently buff off

fingerprints, smudges, etc.

The same kind you buy in the Auto Parts store - I grabbed the SMALLEST one

they make (about 2 Sq.Ft). It's SOFT, folds quite nicely in case pocket, does NOT

scratch Guitar Finish. If you have a smudge that is hard to remove, just a dab of water,

then hit it with CHAMIOS - Gone.

Every once in a while I use Guitar Polish, but the Chamios makes the finish

totally clean/smudge-free. Chamios are used on Auto finishes because they DON'T

SCRATCH! [biggrin]

100_0587.jpg

I was actually doing some digging around in my garage and found my cleaning kit that I used for my Epiphone LP. Made by Dunlop and has pretty much everything needed to keep the guitar looking good. If I remember right I think it was only like 15 bucks and comes with 2 100% cotton cloths too. Anyone have this set or use it on a Gibson with success?

Frankly I very, very seldom have cleaned my guitars, and that goes back to '63.

Yeah, they sometimes need a bit of touchup. Mostly I've used an old pure cotton T shirt that's been just slightly dampened - maybe a bit more if something is reeeeeally gunky like food.

I won't claim my guitars are entirely the most pristine, but I'm not running a guitar store and frankly I've never had anybody come up to me where I was playing "out" and state: "Gee you have a dirty guitar."

And that's even back in the olden days when I might have done a "dirty" song.

Or two.

Let me qualify that, though. Even a bit of coke or booze comes off. Immediately. Ditto food, although I've not been convinced that a bit of grease in gravy ever hurt much. Also, I've never rubbed hard to get a guitar clean. Ever.

The worst thing I ever had happen was playing outdoors one night while the mosquitoes were bad and I put on some "Off."

At first I thought I was sweating. Nope. The "Off" did just exactly that to the finish on the top and top side of my guitar. Oops. A quick trip to the potty and a cotton bandanna in my back pocket brought the top into about as good a condition as I think likely was possible.

And yeah, I quickly washed all the anti-bug goo off arms. I left the stuff on my face, but then I seldom use my face for playing guitar.

Also, I have had a few folks say my acoustic or hollow guitars smell like a bit of tobacco smoke. Yup. I never was politically correct and it's too bad that the gov'ment has determined we'll all be politically correct whether we care to be or not when it comes to tobacco.

m

And yeah, I quickly washed all the anti-bug goo off arms. I left the stuff on my face, but then I seldom use my face for playing guitar.

Bummer that you followed that up with seldom...I was hoping you would throw a video of that up there. Too funny.

Archived