Gibson Brands Forums

vintage Kluson tuners

nipsnertz

Can anyone tell me what I should look for when I check out guitars with vintage Kluson tuners to determine if the tuners are OK? How do these tuners usually wear out or fail ? Do Kluson's have an assumed useful life where under normal use you can expect that they would need to be replaced ? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

nip...I haven't heard of any problems with the Kluson Deluxe (what I have on my stock '74 LP Deluxe). I would say given that I bought the guitar new in 1974 and have played it regularly ever since and have yet to have any failure or wear that I can tell, that there isn't a assumed life issue. There may be on much older instruments, but considering mine are 34 years old and still in top notch shape it isn't an issue. Now...if you go draging the guitar head and tuners through sand, mud and grit...I'd say all bets are off.

By the way, your post got me thinking about it and I searched for anyone else posting something like this and don't come up with any hits.

You might try emailing Gruhn Guitars since they are the acknowledged experts in vintage instruments. They might have a better insight to the Klusons over long periods of time.

• 1 month later...

thanks to the OP - I have a 1973 Deluxe and I'm looking for a set of relic-ed double ring, double line Kluson tuners to replace the metal Gibson ones somebody put on it. If you have any suggesitons I'm open - looked all over the net with no luck, even crazyparts in Germany only has Fender or the wrong Gibson ones... if you have an old/spare set, or know where I can find correct looking (old looking) ones PLEASE contact me directly at tnicboston at j u n o .com - please no spam bots

I only check this forum once every month or two, so please email me directly if you have any to sell or knowwhere Imight find cool lookin replacements. thanks!

Mark

Archived