Gibson Brands Forums

how do you guys polish/clean your ebony les paul customs/black beauty?

jerrylo913

Let it be. If you play hard show it off. Let your axe relic the way it wants to. Besides it looks way cool.

rite on! but then theres those who wants their black beauty to look as perfect as possible....and as stated before...ebony gibsons are swirl bound for as long as you owe it =D>

You guys got me curious about the Virtuoso cleaner and polish so I ordered some and got it on Friday. I tried it on all my guitars. The cleaner works pretty good at getting the grime off (Probably even better than Naptha' date=' although I still use the naptha on the fretboards).

The polish must contain some carnuba wax because it sure smells like candy. Anyway, after polishing my guitars I had a hard time playing while the guitar was resting on my leg as all of them just slip right off! That's OK though, I'll just wear a strap.

The end result was awesome![/quote']

No pics of the end result ?

Use the Virtuoso cleaner and polish...

Yes! The Virtuoso will solve your problem.

I have the same guitar (ebony LP Custom 07) and had the same issue.

Clean it up with the cleaner first. It won't get rid of the white cloud.

Finish it off with the Polisher, and it looks as good as new.

Just make sure you use super soft, super clean cloth.

like anything else you polish wax builds up and it discolors. The more dangerous products that people try (like silicon) can damage the finish especially Gibson's nitro) and the buffing products are abrasives so every time you buff you can remove a small amount of the finish. so like everything in life moderation and balance is the key.

That said the cheap answer is if you polish it too much you'll go blind :-k

• 3 weeks later...

What's a good polishing cloth that won't scratch or dull an ebony nitro finish?

Anyone know if this is a good cloth to use - Dunlop "Guitar Finish Cloth": http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=236&pmh=products/maintenance

1145816197_Guitar_Finish_Cloth_5430_463x342.jpg

GC has these... and on the back it says:

Using a formulation originally developed for jewelers, our super-soft cloth is absorbent, non-abrasive and perfectly matched to all popular guitar finishes. It's constructed of densely woven Japanese micro fibers....

I just recently picked up ebony SG Standard and being my first Gibson, I don't know much about the care of nitro finishes so want to make sure I get a cloth that is safe for nitro.

thnx

Hey guys. Save yourselves some money and by a big piece of 100% cotton flannel at your local fabric store and cut a bunch of cloths to size. They wash well, but don't use too much laundry soap. To clean the sweat, oil, smoke, etc from the guitar's finish, use a bit of lighter fluid on flannel cloth. Just a little and put a bit more if that that doesn't last until you finish the whole guitar. It will evaporate when your finished and then you can wipe with a slightly damp flannel. Polish once in a while and voila.

I would say the fender Meguiars is great for the intensive cleanings and the dunlop spray is the best for daily use. It is basically treated mineral water so it is a lot safer and its without build up. More importantly, it will serve the purpose you need it for. It smells a little lemony which is great too.

Archived