Gibson Brands Forums

Does SKB-61 Case fit the SG Classic snuggly

johnboat

I have a Gibson SG Classic and am looking for the best hardshell case for it. I am leaning towards the SKB-61 case and wanted to hear from any "Classic" owners out there who may have this case in regards to the "Fit" (or any other opinion they would like to offer). Does it fit snuggly? Any issues I should be aware of? I've also considered the TKL but the SKB looks much sturdier, and the price difference is minimal.

Also, it looks like $130 is the going rate for this case, unless anyone knows of a better deal somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this, and I also want to say how much I love the SG Classic. I really don't know why Gibson doesn't offer it to everyone (special to GC & MF). Fantastic guitar.

its about preference. how snug do you wan it? is it ok if a corner isnt snug? etc.

so I would find and try out the fit of a few cases before I decide on one.

Thanks for the reply TehBeast, all I really want is for it to be snug enough to not cause damage (bang around). I can't find one locally so that's why I was relying on peoples experience with their own "Classics". I just wasn't sure if the "Classic" body style was vastly different from other SG's to be a problem with this case. Or if anyone had noticed any other issues with this case and the Classic.

I do not have the SKB-61 yet, but I do have the SKB for Flying-V's and it form fits about the same as my Gibson (TKL) case.

The SKB Les Paul cases my other guitarist uses fit easily as well. I like these new SKB cases for air travel as they come with the new TSA locks so you can lock up your guitar and the TSA can still open it if they need to and lock it back.

The SKB is sturdy as well, but I also swear by TKL cases as they are well constructed too.

Hard to say...if you are planning on flying with your guitar, the SKB-61 has the edge IMO due to the TSA locks.

Either one, you'll come out with a great case.

I do not have the SKB-61 yet, but I do have the SKB for Flying-V's and it form fits about the same as my Gibson (TKL) case.

The SKB Les Paul cases my other guitarist uses fit easily as well. I like these new SKB cases for air travel as they come with the new TSA locks so you can lock up your guitar and the TSA can still open it if they need to and lock it back.

The SKB is sturdy as well, but I also swear by TKL cases as they are well constructed too.

Hard to say...if you are planning on flying with your guitar, the SKB-61 has the edge IMO due to the TSA locks.

Either one, you'll come out with a great case.

Thanks for the feedback cabba2203.

• 2 months later...

I have a Gibson SG Classic and am looking for the best hardshell case for it. I am leaning towards the SKB-61 case and wanted to hear from any "Classic" owners out there who may have this case in regards to the "Fit" (or any other opinion they would like to offer). Does it fit snuggly? Any issues I should be aware of? I've also considered the TKL but the SKB looks much sturdier, and the price difference is minimal.

Also, it looks like $130 is the going rate for this case, unless anyone knows of a better deal somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this, and I also want to say how much I love the SG Classic. I really don't know why Gibson doesn't offer it to everyone (special to GC & MF). Fantastic guitar.

ibought an sg classic yesterday & told them i wouldnt buy it if it didnt come with a case instead of a gig bag,,they threw in an skb hsc,,locks & keys the whole 9 yards ,,i dont see a number anywhere on it ,,but it does say skb global transport authority on it & it is made for the sg ,,even has the horns & everything inside the case

ibought an sg classic yesterday & told them i wouldnt buy it if it didnt come with a case instead of a gig bag,,they threw in an skb hsc,,locks & keys the whole 9 yards ,,i dont see a number anywhere on it ,,but it does say skb global transport authority on it & it is made for the sg ,,even has the horns & everything inside the case

I hope you enjoy the Classic, love mine. I ended up getting the SKB and am mostly happy with it. The fit isn't perfect, the way the cut out for the horns is it pushes guitar a little towards the high E side of the guitar, so those pegs are snug against the side of case. But don't think it's a big problem. Otherwise I like the case. Thanks for your feedback though, sounds like you got a good deal if they threw in case.

Archived