Gibson Brands Forums

Should I worry about this

PGN

Hi all.. I picked up a new Traditional Pro 2 weeks ago from GC and after I got home and inspected the guitar in "better" light I noticed a small hairline crack at the fret end nib. It looks like 2 others may be developing at other places. How many others are seeing this issue and does it get worse with time. Since it is GC I have 30 days to take it back. Is this something I should worry about. The rest of the guitar is great.. just has this issue. If others have had this issue does it get worse, stay the same or over time does it impact playability at all. This picture isn't great but it get's the idea across.

IMAG0006.jpg?psid=1

Thoughts?

That wouldn't bother me. Due to heat expansion and contraction of the metal frets minor hairline cracks will develope right where the fret ends meet the binding. If you see cracks somewhere between the fret ends, that's worrisome. How long since your guitar left the factory?

Had a crack like that on my standard, when I bought it new a couple years ago. I didn't think anything of it...binding has no function as far as I know. It's just "pretty".

Crack hasn't gotten bigger nor has it spread. I haven't seen any others like it on the rest of the guitar, yet.

That wouldn't bother me. Due to heat expansion and contraction of the metal frets minor hairline cracks will develope right where the fret ends meet the binding. If you see cracks somewhere between the fret ends, that's worrisome. How long since your guitar left the factory?

It says is 7/29/2009 on the inspection card so a little over a year ago.. been sitting at GC for a while.

Yup, what BigK said. Ultimately, it's your guitar and if it bothers you now, it will always bother you.

A while ago, I was at the GC in Buffalo and every Gibson I picked up had cracked binding at nearly every fret.

That's sort of bothersome that they all had cracked binding brand new. Is it really just a poor design or are they just not cutting the tang on the fret short enough these day? If it is known that the finger board is going to expand and contract one would think they would cut the tang a touch shorter or at an angle but keep the top the correct length to compensate for the expansion/contraction, since it seems it is cracking at the fret tang. I don't see this on other bound necks like the ESP Eclipse II, or the new bound anniversary series PRS guitars, but it's common on Gibson?

I don't want it to bother me since it plays and sounds amazing... My PRS SC245 has impeccable build quality (better than any Gibson I have seen in stores) sounds really close to a good LP but is lacking a little something the Gibson has. My older Smardwood Exotic doesn't have any issues after 12 years but then again it isn't a bound guitar. This is my first Gibson with binding.

That's sort of bothersome that they all had cracked binding brand new. Is it really just a poor design or are they just not cutting the tang on the fret short enough these day? ...

Welcome.

The binding on most Gibson electrics covers the fret ends - "nibs" - as shown in the original pic and below. As to trimming the tang, not sure if Gibson does that, but it probably wouldn't help as the fret ends are covered by the binding.

Nibs2.jpg

That's sort of bothersome that they all had cracked binding brand new. Is it really just a poor design or are they just not cutting the tang on the fret short enough these day?

Wood expands/contracts; frets don't. That's why it happens. If you don't watch temperature and humidity levels (like GC doesn't), that can happen.

Ok, so I guess I am too uptight but I took this one back to GC after I was able to score a Studio 50's Tribute Gold Top. Loving the new tribute. Completely different beast but great so far.

Great.

I thought those would've been all gone by now..

Congrats. B)

Great.

I thought those would've been all gone by now..

Congrats. B)

Yeah, I thought they were all gone also. The factory date on this one is Nov 02, 2010 and is post flood. So, apparently they still have more coming off the line. It Looks like some dealers have backordered ones trickling in still.

Welcome.

The binding on most Gibson electrics covers the fret ends - "nibs" - as shown in the original pic and below. As to trimming the tang, not sure if Gibson does that, but it probably wouldn't help as the fret ends are covered by the binding.

Nibs2.jpg

By golly, you're right. I never noticed that. I had to get my magnifying glass to see that on mine. I just thought the frets tapered off into the binding. Good close up too.

• 4 months later...

After taking back the one Traditional and picking up the 50's tribute and loving it I finally bit the bullet and bought another Traditional Pro without the binding issues the first one had. Loving both axes now. I have a PRS SC245 Also but it just doesn't sound as good as the Traditional. It is boxy and sterile compared to the Traditional. I got lucky with this Traditional and it has flawless binding and fretwork and also has a rare one piece back (although she is heavy at 9 lbs).

After taking back the one Traditional and picking up the 50's tribute and loving it I finally bit the bullet and bought another Traditional Pro without the binding issues the first one had. Loving both axes now. I have a PRS SC245 Also but it just doesn't sound as good as the Traditional. It is boxy and sterile compared to the Traditional. I got lucky with this Traditional and it has flawless binding and fretwork and also has a rare one piece back (although she is heavy at 9 lbs).

Good thing you did that those binding issues are very serious and can cause your frets to pop out flying in the air unexpectedly...

...... NOT......

Sincerly,

Borat

Good for you.

Congrats on yer two new axes.

Glad to hear yer happy now.

How about posting a couple of pics? B)

Sure, not serious but why accept it on a brand new axe... sure it will probably happen over time but I don't need to spend 2k on something that shouldn't have issues right away -- even if they are cosmetic :-)

Good thing you did that those binding issues are very serious and can cause your frets to pop out flying in the air unexpectedly...

...... NOT......

Sincerly,

Borat

Archived