Gibson Brands Forums

How to spot a fake Gibson acoustic?

Satanclaus

• 8 months later...

Could you help me tell if this is a fake or mot, supposed to be a custom j30

That guitar has two pre-"union made" Kalamazoo labels in it, yet it looks like a new guitar? There had better be a very good explanation for that, since they stopped using that label in 1965. What explanation is being offered?

Sorry, I ain't buying it.

That guitar has two pre-"union made" Kalamazoo labels in it, yet it looks like a new guitar? There had better be a very good explanation for that, since they stopped using that label in 1965. What explanation is being offered?

Sorry, I ain't buying it.

Thank you for all the help. I really don't want to buy a fibson.

It would have to be 1984 or earlier

And the employee would have to have access to pre-1965 labels. If there is a back-story on the guitar, the seller should front it.

Anything is possible, but the explanation needs to be plausible.

This one really deserves a thread of its own, very weird and I've never seen anything close to it, but there's a lot that looks right on it. There were some smaller ES models about 10 - 15 years ago that had tapered headstocks but I can't remember if they had straight sides or whether they were flared, and I'm pretty sure they had modern block script logos. The Mark guitars of the '70s had tapered headstocks and '30s style logos (although this looks more like a '20s style L-5 overlay) but nothing like the one on this. Besides which I can't believe it's earlier than '90s. What are the back and sides? Possibly Bubinga? Hard to tell through the soundhole but doesn't look like Mahogany from what little we can see.

Even assuming this was closeted, and the fingerboard, etc could still be pristine...The raw wood inside the sound hole, all around the label. Looks like it is pretty new. Not 50 years old.

Absolutely correct. The snakehead headstock looks a bit out of place on the body as well. It is clearly a fairly new guitar.

I would just love to know what the theoretical back-story is on the guitar. You would not normally fake something with such a pastiche of characteristics.

Absolutely correct. The snakehead headstock looks a bit out of place on the body as well. It is clearly a fairly new guitar.

I would just love to know what the theoretical back-story is on the guitar. You would not normally fake something with such a pastiche of characteristics.

I'd like to know who put that sticker on the top, and why. I'd like to know the story on this one too. I'm not a Gibson historian so forgive my ignorance, but I'm a little surprised to see "The Gibson" on the headstock. For those in the know, how common was that, and in what era?

By the way, the nut looks really plastic to me.

'The Gibson' was standard on instruments up to the very early 1930s, when a new version minus the definite article was phased in, although the exact date differs depending on model. Before 1926 the logo was heavily slanted and always inlayed (basic models having a plain headstock with no logo); when a silkscreened version began appearing on lower end models the logo became horizontal, at least on guitars. The logo on this guitar together with the flower pot looks like the overlay used on the original Loar era L-5 archtop.

'The Gibson' was standard on instruments up to the very early 1930s, when a new version minus the definite article was phased in, although the exact date differs depending on model. Before 1926 the logo was heavily slanted and always inlayed (basic models having a plain headstock with no logo); when a silkscreened version began appearing on lower end models the logo became horizontal, at least on guitars. The logo on this guitar together with the flower pot looks like the overlay used on the original Loar era L-5 archtop.

Thanks for that information, Jayyj, very interesting to me. I clearly need to spend some more time around here picking up things like this.

• 3 weeks later...

The '58 J50 in my profile pic does not have the serial # on the back of the headstock.

I own a 1950 LG1 which doesn't have a serial# on the back of the headstock.

Do any of your 50's Gibsons look like the one we are talking about??

Archived