Gibson Brands Forums

SG special faded

tartanbeastie

I have a 2008 gibson sg special faded, which i love, however i dont know if its just my ear but the G string never sounds in tune (even when tuned against a digital tuner) and it sounds louder than the other strings. Could it be the guitar just needs a pro set up and intonation adjustment? I also play it through a fender blues junior.. again I love the amp but I'm not so keen on my SG through it. I owned a marshall vs 100 half stack previously which my old and now sold epi sg sounded awesome through(prefer my newer gibson though). i bought the fender amp because I wanted a reasonably priced tube amp and i also have a telecaster (which sounds great through it)

anyways, advice on that g string would be good. no wise cracks please

Hmmm. You know, the G's on all my guitars (2 LP Specials & an SG Standard) always give me some weirdness. -Usually for me, that's the first string to go out of tune. I'd recommend probably just getting a good set up and hopefully that fixes it.

A setup is a good idea for any new guitar; your guitar most likely needs intonated. However, something that helps me keep SGs in tune, especially the G string which has a very large amount of tension on it, is replacing the green key tuners with grover rotomatics. This will cost an additonal $50-60 for the tuners but it is well worth it. The grovers fit in the same tuner holes with no drilling or reaming. You can install 'em yourself as leng as you own a screwdriver and a wrench. You can keep the origianls in case you sell the guitar. Also, "drawing" in the nut slots with a mechanical pencil helps lubricate the nut slots, a source of friction that sometimes keeps you from getting the string tuned to the right pitch.

A setup is a good idea for any new guitar; your guitar most likely needs intonated. However, something that helps me keep SGs in tune, especially the G string which has a very large amount of tension on it, is replacing the green key tuners with grover rotomatics. This will cost an additonal $50-60 for the tuners but it is well worth it. The grovers fit in the same tuner holes with no drilling or reaming. You can install 'em yourself as leng as you own a screwdriver and a wrench. You can keep the origianls in case you sell the guitar. Also, "drawing" in the nut slots with a mechanical pencil helps lubricate the nut slots, a source of friction that sometimes keeps you from getting the string tuned to the right pitch.

thanks for the suggestions. much appreciated

My guitar teacher told me that when he strings his guitars, he "pulls" on the strings to get the play out of them. It seems to work, if you pull up and give the G string a tug (not too hard, about no more than an inch or so) and re-tune it, it might behave better.

Cheers

I just thought I'd say I have this exact same problem on my SG Faded. I've actually had the guitar's intonation checked and set up, but here I am with the guitar. Also, on a few occasions my guitar would experience dead frets which the bottom three strings would be muted somewhere near the nut (not sure if it was a climate issue, as I store it in the gig bag which isn't very safe from things like that) and have had to get it fixed twice.

It could be a fault in the design, as this is always what my friends complain about, the "eternally detuned" string.

I just thought I'd say I have this exact same problem on my SG Faded. I've actually had the guitar's intonation checked and set up, but here I am with the guitar. Also, on a few occasions my guitar would experience dead frets which the bottom three strings would be muted somewhere near the nut (not sure if it was a climate issue, as I store it in the gig bag which isn't very safe from things like that) and have had to get it fixed twice.

It could be a fault in the design, as this is always what my friends complain about, the "eternally detuned" string.

I'm thinking you could be right, I've read of other peoples experience being the same. Still, i love the guitar so guess I may have to just live with it

... the G string ... sounds louder than the other strings. ...

This is something you can handle yourself: adjusting the distance between the pup and the strings. Adjust each pup separately. Lower a smidge and see if it sounds better to your ear. Raise it above where you started a smidge and see if that sounds better. Get it in the best spot for your ear. Now adjust each pup post (with the slots if the pup is uncovered) up or down to even out the volume of each string in comparison to the others.

... I have a 2008 gibson sg special faded, which i love, however i dont know if its just my ear but the G string never sounds in tune (even when tuned against a digital tuner) ...

A setup would be good for this. INFO - over the last few years, Gibson nuts are wildly inconsistant. Many tuning problems (particularly of the D and G string) are from badly cut nuts - the slots aren't deep enough or they're cut with inconsistant depths. When you tune open it sounds right, but when you fret a chord in the first 3 to 5 frets it sounds out of tune. That's because when the nut slot/s are too high, the distance the string goes to get fretted causes it to strech, making it sharp. This may or may not be part of your particular setup up problem, but just wanted you to have the info, as some inexperienced repair shop workers sometimes do a setup and completely miss this aspect. An experienced setup man will check for wear, check the neck for the proper angle to the body, straightness, twisting, relief, fret level, as well as checking the nut slot heights and bridge/saddle adjustments.

Hope you get this solved.

• 2 weeks later...

well, havent done the full set up yet but i figured i'd put a fresh set of strings on, the last set were ernie ball classic rock n roll strings just because i like to try new varieties, 10's, so similar gauge to the original brite wires. I swapped over to some D'addario nickel wound blues/jazz rock 11's (EXL115) and immediately a massive change for the better. if anything slightly too bright but not enough to annoy me. Set up will still happen in the future but till after christmas these can stay on. I'm a happy chappy today!!!

Ive got a 2005 faded special and have had the same issue. I find using dif lube (used by remote control guys) really helps, its a lot easier to apply than graphite. When changing the strings, cut a small section off the old high E, dip it in and run it through the slots.

Archived