Gibson Brands Forums

New Strings on J-45 Any Adjustments needed?

folkster

Hey guys,

I've been battling for a while. I'm thinking about changing my j-45 to medium strings but I was wondering if I needed to have any adjustments made by a luthier. I was planning on giving the neck a slight bit of relief by adjusting the truss rod. What do you all think?

I just changed from lights to mediums on my J45 about a month ago and didn't need any addtional set up or adjustments. I couldn't believe the difference that the mediums made. The tone and fullness is lots better. I was wondering why no one told me to get those "girly-man" lights off of my J45 sooner. Also one added bonus, it's easier to be accurate with the right hand(picking) with the slightly bigger strings ! Enjoy

I recently switched from lights to mediums on my CW.

I found the tone improved 100%, it was obvious this guitar was created for mids.

There was no need for any truss rod adjustment.

Since the CW is a close cousing to J-45 I dont imagine the J-45 would need to be taken to luthier or need a truss rod adjustment, I think mahogany Gibson dreads are in their element with medium strings .(not so for rosewood Gibsons who i find are better with lights)

cheers.

I just changed from lights to mediums on my J45 about a month ago and didn't need any addtional set up or adjustments. I couldn't believe the difference that the mediums made. The tone and fullness is lots better. I was wondering why no one told me to get those "girly-man" lights off of my J45 sooner. Also one added bonus, it's easier to be accurate with the right hand(picking) with the slightly bigger strings ! Enjoy

TRUE, TRUE, TRUE!

I actually prefer the heavier (medium) low-end strings mixed with some standard lights for the trebs. This mix gives me great low-end tone while still allowing space for "bluesey" string bends up high. Elixir #16077.

Did you guys find the extra tension was making it harder to FRET the guitar? Any hand fatigue because of the heavier strings????

The ONLY negative that I have ever noticed is that the good ol' F-chord is a little tougher to slam .. don't really know why. [confused]

I'm slowly getting used to it. I tend to play with a very light right-hand touch while still really digging in with my left fretters. I've tried "lights" on several occassions but I always go back to mediums for some reason.

Did you guys find the extra tension was making it harder to FRET the guitar? Any hand fatigue because of the heavier strings????

This is the thing. When I placed DR Sunbeams 13's it actually made it easier to play. Reason why is that the DR's are a little bit more flexible than other strings and the 12's were a bit too loose IMO. The 13's made it just right and kept everything in place.

I changed to 13's when I started using my J45 for open bluegrass jams. I didn't even notice the pressure. The first few jams my fingers got a little tired after two plus hours. I never even think about it. I didn't have to make any adjustments. I had my 12's set up professionally so I could finger pick. Now I'm flatpicking 13's with no problem.

Archived