Gibson Brands Forums

Ordered SG Standard Bass today!

Lungimsam

Decided to get one. I played another one last night and it sounded great, but was a little beat up from being on the floor for 2 years at the store.

I really like the 30" scale. So comfortable. Played it through a Fender bass amp at the store and the sound was awesome.

I was gonna hold out to see if they were going to put out a '61 EB-3 next year, but I like the standard so much I just figured I'd get it. If an EB3 ever comes out, I'll get that too, if I can afford it. All I can say is, I hope they don't do it through the Historic or Custom line or there is no way. But I'll be happy with the standard. I'll post pics when I get it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHOA! Big mistake! JUST KIDDING! Very cool!!! When did they say it may be in? Personal opinion here, good move. When mine came in I even put on my glasses to check it out before I plugged it into an amp. I tried it out on a Hartke 500 watt 4X10 combo. It sounded great. It sound better when I ran it through my gear at home.

Got it through Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD. I have only bought from them since 2001. Every time I shopped for a guitar or bass, they have had better prices right off the bat than anyone I have seen online or in my area. Same salesman every time. Nice guy and seems to enjoy what he does.

I like flatwounds. Very smooth feeling. Warm, rich, powerful tone. Easier on your frets, too.

I even have them on my guitars.

I used D'Addario Chrome Flats on a Fender Jazz Fretless. Liked them on the fretless Jazz. I used nylons on the 1969 EB0. I've been tempted to try another set of nylons on this SG Std.

They told my regular sales rep. at Sam Ash four months. It turned out to be three weeks. I was real lucky. Some of the online sites are showing they have them in stock. I hope you get yours soon.

Agreed, but don't let the guy think you died or something. We're talking about a Gibson Bass here. I just hope when you get it, you like it as much as i dig the hell out of mine. Keep the faith dude.

i forgot to tell you what strings i'm using now. I'm using the D'Addario nickel strings from the factory. 45, 65, 85, 105. The're easy on the frets being nickel, they feel good, and have a real punch going through the Marshall.

Hey rd_artist; Happy Thanksgiving. [thumbup] On the nickel strings. They were original strings on a G&L SB-2 that is had before the SG Std. I like them because you can feel they're there too. But not over doing it.

$300.00 Is a pretty good amount, unless they say a longer time than you can wait. If you don't mind me asking, what price did he quote you to be $300.00 less than a G.C. or S.A. price? $1,000.00? Faded are going for $899. at S.A. stores or on S.A. .com. Heritage $1,399.

$1100.

GS, and MF, and SA, Bill's (local store) are all 12 or $1399 for heritage cherry.

I hope he meant with case. I am assuming he means with case. He is usually a couple hundred bucks cheaper on basses and guitars than everyone else. So $1100 would be in his "zone" of pricing.

Archived