Gibson Brands Forums

About to pull the trigger on SG Faded...question

DB Cooper

Been playing acoustic for just over two years...have put off buying an electric until my skill level justified a new purchase. I've always loved the SG, and was excited to come across the Faded at a price that seemed more reasonable for me.

Question is - where to purchase. Local Guitar Center has one on the wall, and I played it for about an hour the other night...somehow managed to put it back and walk out. Sweetwater has 13 of them in cherry finish - with multiple pics of each one.

I like the idea of getting a guitar that several dozen people haven't already handled, so Sweetwater seems like the way to go. But I'm not sure how much variation there is between each guitar - how do I know if I'm getting a "good" one when buying online?

Both places have the same price: $699...

I am new to electrics and I'm not sure sure I even know what to look at.

Advice? Comments?

Thanks! ~DB

If you have shop/s with stock, within driving distance, it's always better to get your eyes, hands and ears on an instrument and play it before purchasing. There is varability between instruments and with mail ordering you might end up with an instrument you don't like. Then you've got to deal with return polices and shipping.

As far as Guitar Center goes, be sure to thoroughly inspect the instrument before making the purchase.

Agreed, if you can try it before you buy it then do it. mail order can be a real hit or miss. the only guitar i bought mail order and liked and then kept for more than a few months is my telecaster which i had shipped from the states to Scotland and when i emigrated to Canada it was the only electric i took with me.

I have a 2008 sg special faded which I love, as soon as i picked it up and hit the strings for the first time in the store i knew i had to have, especially since the wife approved!!!!

Did you ask your local place if they have others in the stock room? If so ask if you can have a look at them and see if there is one you like. Only if not should you then go to an online retailer.

Necks are hand finished so each is very slightly different and the wood on the bodies will also be different, being a natural product.

Well, unfortunately I don't have a stockroom full of these guitars to play...

So, looking at Sweetwater.com - I can see that they have 13 cherry and 8 brown guitars in stock. Cool that I can look at each one by serial number from several different angles and try to choose one that at least "looks" the best to me...but bummer that I can't play first. I very much like the idea that I'm the first one to handle and play the guitar I end up with.

Question, though - Sweetwater lists the weight of each guitar, and the SG Faded models they have weigh in anywhere from 5 lb 14 oz to 8+ lbs, with most of them coming in at mid-6 lbs. The one I like the most is the light one. Would lighter be better or worse in any way than heavier? Please keep in mind that I'm absolutely new to electric guitars.

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guitar Center should have a few in their backroom that haven't been manhandled by the swarms of kids that flock in there to play stuff they probably won't ever buy. As for weight shouldn't be a huge difference, although certain pieces of mahogany used for the individual SG's could have been denser than others (good thing if you're in the group who thinks wood plays a huge role in tone).

Buying online - make sure you understand the return/exhange policy.

... Question, though - Sweetwater lists the weight of each guitar, and the SG Faded models they have weigh in anywhere from 5 lb 14 oz to 8+ lbs, with most of them coming in at mid-6 lbs. The one I like the most is the light one. Would lighter be better or worse in any way than heavier? ...

Now there's a can of worms. Some guys are very weight conscious - some want heavier, some want lighter. Without hearing your avaliable stock, it's a gamble. So why not pick the one you like and hope for the best. When you get it, if it turns out not to be want you what want sound wise, take advantage of the return/exchange policy.

Archived