Gibson Brands Forums

Question[s] about a '54 Les Paul ReIssue w/ P90's

buchananblues

Cool' date=' thanks.

The one I'm interested in is the Custom '54 Standard ReIssue in Iced Tea. Is that what you have?[/quote']

That's exactly what I have. (To be clear, it is a Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1954 Reissue.) I just purchased it a couple of months ago.

Marvelous guitar. The action is fantastic, straight from the factory. The high-gloss finish is impeccable.

The sound - ah, those P-90s! Yes, there is a little hum but not too much.

The neck pickup is very fat sounding. When played clean it is very open and rich. The fullness and sustain of the Les Paul gives the pickup a very different character than, say, the neck pickup of a Strat. Played dirty, the neck pickup gets muddy and at higher gains gives a beautiful saturated "woman tone."

The bridge pickup is not matched for its position - that is, it is exactly the same as the neck pickup rather than being wound a bit hotter. This means that its effective volume is a bit less than the neck pickup. This pickup sounds a little nasal when played clean but it cuts right through. At higher gains the bridge pickup has a very nice snarl and bite. Very cool.

The combined pickup position yields a nice twang, with much more fullness and bottom end than you'd get out of a Telecaster in the combined position.

Overall it's a wonderful guitar, a definite keeper.

That's exactly what I have. (To be clear' date=' it is a Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1954 Reissue.) I just purchased it a couple of months ago.

Marvelous guitar. The action is fantastic, straight from the factory. The high-gloss finish is impeccable.

The neck pickup is very fat sounding. When played clean it is very open and rich. The fullness and sustain of the Les Paul gives the pickup a very different character than, say, the neck pickup of a Strat. Played dirty, the neck pickup gets muddy and at higher gains gives a beautiful saturated "woman tone."

The bridge pickup is not matched for its position - that is, it is exactly the same as the neck pickup rather than being wound a bit hotter. This means that its effective volume is a bit less than the neck pickup. This pickup sounds a little nasal when played clean but it cuts right through. At higher gains the bridge pickup has a very nice snarl and bite. Very cool.

The combined pickup position yields a nice twang, with much more fullness and bottom end than you'd get out of a Telecaster in the combined position.

Overall it's a wonderful guitar, a definite keeper. [/quote']

Yes, to be specific, that is the one I'm looking at, your information is very helpful. Excellent description. Thanks. It sounds like I'd be able to get some really blues tones and jazz tones as well. I think it would be a great compliment to my new traditional.

That's exactly what I have. (To be clear' date=' it is a Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1954 Reissue.) I just purchased it a couple of months ago.

Overall it's a wonderful guitar, a definite keeper. [/quote']

I was just looking at this on one of the sites. Two questions

1. How's the intonation without a TOM?

2. Can you share some pics of er

One sweet guitar

I was just looking at this on one of the sites. Two questions

1. How's the intonation without a TOM?

2. Can you share some pics of er

One sweet guitar

The intonation is surprisingly close, considering that the one-piece bridge/stop tailpiece has no compensation whatsoever aside from its angle. (When you get right down to it, tuning a guitar is a compromise even with a compensated bridge.) At any rate, barre chords at the 10th and 12th frets sound fine.

I can't upload pics from work, but I'll try to remember to do so from home. The ice tea burst is very nice on the plain maple top. Mine has a very light burst so the maple shows through well. The top on my guitar has a grain curvature that follows the curve of the lower bout - it's very unusual.

Personally, I've been eyeballing the 56.

It has the TOM already, pickups are still P-90's.

I LOVE P-90's and the hum thing is way overblown with modern amps and electronic equipment.

Closest thing I have currently is this Guild Blues Bird/Blues 90. Duncan P-90's from the factory.

2206881407_79d560f6ff.jpg?v=0

On the left is my Guild Starfire III.

Does this mean I can buy a brand new replacement wrap bridge for my '59 ES-225 from Gibson? (Mine's been "improved" by some idiot with a vee file.)

As long as the post centers share the same measurement, yes. I found a replacement for my '76-manufactured 1960 LP Special reissue here:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/gbridge_gotohgibson.htm (second row, second from right - "Nickel Wrap Tailpiece/Bridge")

If you're in doubt, though, take your ES-225 to a Gibson-certified repair shop and they'll find the right part, assuming that Gibson stocks one that fits.

Archived