Gibson Brands Forums

Top three songs with acoustic WOW!

Gilliangirl

What are your top three songs whereby the acoustic guitar just sends shivers up your spine? I'm talking about the songs that you never get sick of.... the acoustic guitar in it just sends you to the moon every time.

Mine:

Peter Mulvey - Two Janes (WOW!)

Lily Of The West - done by Bob Dylan (don't know why, it just charges me up!)

Submarine Ladies - America (the guitar is so easy yet so pretty, and the tiny bit of banjo just makes it so sweet)

Lily of the West in Dylans version is fantastic. More than enjoyed it since the 70'ties. It's as if the seriousness of the scene forces the players to get ahead of the beat in some almost desperate escape. And then the daring mix between western movie, gospel girls and spinet. It's Bob at his best - tremendous vocals.

The other 2 I don't know, , , , yet -

Three choices that meant a lot to me :

Jethro Tull - 1976, Too Old to Rock'n'Roll : Too Young to Die !, Salamander - Genius Ian Anderson is an excellent acoustic guitarist and this one comes over the hills like an Anglo Saxon, Celtic, whatever, whirlwind. Impressive in its rage through different zones, the ever rising up-tempo attack moves on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WCurVatJk

Crosby Stills Nash - 1969, Guinnevere - Crosby dives in the exact opposite direction with this classic 'furniture with no legs' paisley maze hippie hymn. It's a difficult stream to swim, but the guys manage like a reborn three-headed Aquarius. Mesmerizing. (Can't find a link to the original version.)

Fab-Four-1969, Here Comes the Sun - George takes his J-200 and literally makes the track shine. There might be piccolo-flutes, lightweight drums, virtuoso bass and beaming synths, but it's the acoustic - with capo on 7'th fret i think - that brings on the rays of sun. As you all know the original so well, I link up the recent Paul Simon, Crosby/Nash version. Also a huge moment, , , if you ask E-minor7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XJtCQhVAmo

I adore much songs with an acoustic guitar, but if you ask for 3 - well...

# 3 -"Blackbird" - The Beatles (Paul McCartney)

# 2 -"Here comes the sun" - the original studio version, where George plays on an SJ 200 Standart (as someone in this forum told me ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tV11acSRk

But the ultimate, the one and only, the BEST, THE

# 1 - "Forever" - Kiss

Some of you here will say that this is not an acoustic song but...

people - hear the beginning with the Jumbo Guild played by Paul Stanley, and then...

The acoustic solo, played on this Gibson Dove Custom Black in the hands of Bruce Kulick...

Man - what a sound!!!!! I have ever wanted to have a guitar, giving me THIS SOUND - of the acoustic solo of this "Forever"....

Wach it, HEAR it and tell me - is there on Earth such a pure metal string acoustic guitar sound???

Tell me?

Three choices that meant a lot to me :

Jethro Tull - 1976, Too Old to Rock'n'Roll : Too Young to Die !, Salamander - Genius Ian Anderson is an excellent acoustic guitarist and this one comes over the hills like an Anglo Saxon, Celtic, whatever, whirlwind. Impressive in its rage through different zones, the ever rising up-tempo attack moves on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WCurVatJk

Crosby Stills Nash - 1969, Guinnivere - Crosby dives in the exact opposite direction with this classic 'furniture with no legs' paisley maze hippie hymn. It's a difficult stream to swim, but the guys manage like a reborn three-headed Aquarius. Mesmerizing. (Can't find a link to the original version.)

Fab-Four-1969, Here Comes the Sun - George takes his J-200 and literally makes the track shine. There might be piccolo-flutes, lightweight drums, virtuoso bass and beaming synths, but it's the acoustic - with capo on 7'th fret i think - that brings on the rays of sun. As you all know the original so well, I link up the recent Paul Simon, Crosby/Nash version. Also a huge moment, , , if you ask E-minor7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XJtCQhVAmo

I couldn't agree more with Guinnevere...a sublime piece of writing...guitar and vocals blend exquisitely and really do paint a picture

V

In Ecstasy in the Lounge

:-({|=

#1-Tell Me Why...Neil Young

#2-I'm Going To Carolina...James Taylor

#3-Heaven Let Your Light Shine Down...Collective Soul (acoustic version at the radio station WKFOG)

+1 Old Guy for mentioning The Fever by Kenny Edwards [thumbup]

Larry, I used to love Neil's version of Tell Me Why until I found Hemingway Corner's version of Tell Me Why. If you've got 2:56 minutes to spare, check this out. Very acoustic!

Larry, I used to love Neil's version of Tell Me Why until I found Hemingway Corner's version of Tell Me Why. If you've got 2:56 minutes to spare, check this out. Very acoustic!

Very good, Karen! Ain't nuthin' better than a good twist on an old song! Good find, thanks!

Archived