Gibson Brands Forums

What is the deal with all these strange finishes?

tvguit

I have never seen an LG-1 with a natural finish. Or an LG-3 with ladder braces eusa_think.gif. The little ink stamp visible through the sound hole says LG-1 just like a typical one would have. This one is from '63 from the serial number.

LG-1Natural.jpg

What do you guys think?

and this is a "strange" finish?

I guess the finish itself is not a strange finish, but it does seem strange to find it on an LG-1. To my knowledge they did not make a natural finished LG-1. Can someone correct me on this? The owner said it hasn't been refinished.

Custom shop? You could probably ask for an LG-1 with a natural top.

While anything is possible, I would doubt it. The Custom Division of the early 1960s was not the same thing as today's Custom Shop. McCarty established the department in 1960 to produce Gibson's high end guitars like the Super 400 and J-200. With the plant expansion, production increasing, and conveyor belt finishing systems and such creeping in, it was pretty much an issue of keeping the build quaility high rather than producing special or limited run guitars. About the only special touches you ever see is maybe a second pickguard added or somebody's name inlaid in the board.

I would guess the little LG is just mislabeled.

While anything is possible, I would doubt it. The Custom Division of the early 1960s was not the same thing as today's Custom Shop. McCarty established the department in 1960 to produce Gibson's high end guitars like the Super 400 and J-200. With the plant expansion, production increasing, and conveyor belt finishing systems and such creeping in, it was pretty much an issue of keeping the build quaility high rather than producing special or limited run guitars. About the only special touches you ever see is maybe a second pickguard added or somebody's name inlaid in the board.

I would guess the little LG is just mislabeled.

I guessed that too, but it is ladder braced. LG-3s are x braced (but I am sure you knew that woof! smile.gif) With all that weather checking I wouldn't doubt that this is the original finish, too.

Arn't LG2's ladder braced and natural?

Same size as an LG1, could the Mahogany back wood have been stamped for an LG1 and then mated to a LG2 sides and top?

Just a thought....

LG2s are X braced and sunburst, LG3s are X braced and natural I believe. But yeah the wrong back could have got put on.

LG2s are X braced and sunburst, LG3s are X braced and natural I believe. But yeah the wrong back could have got put on.

My bad.... I meant LG0 and now remember they are mahogany topped. I did know that LG2 was X braced but must have had an extra dose of "dumb" this morning with my coffee! [confused]

Here is my theory now....I bet a LG3 top got put on an LG1 body, Or quite possibly built as a custom for someone who worked there or maybe it is just another of those Gibson quirks we all have come to love..... [thumbup]

I bet a LG3 top got put on an LG1 body

but that still doesn't explain the ladder bracing on the top

"Or quite possibly built as a custom for someone who worked there or maybe it is just another of those Gibson quirks we all have come to love..... [thumbup]"

I think this is probably what happened. Maybe someone just got lazy and decided not to spray the burst!

My bad.... I meant LG0 and now remember they are mahogany topped. I did know that LG2 was X braced but must have had an extra dose of "dumb" this morning with my coffee! [confused]

Here is my theory now....I bet a LG3 top got put on an LG1 body, Or quite possibly built as a custom for someone who worked there or maybe it is just another of those Gibson quirks we all have come to love..... [thumbup]

1963 was the last year of production for the LG-3 so maybe they were just trying to use up whatever parts they had laying around.

Archived