Gibson Brands Forums

Knobs....

BoyVader

I notice that lots of people change the speed knobs on Trads to bell or top hats...how easy are they to change? Do you just pull them straight up and they come off? Any advice or things to watch out for?...I don't want to bend the pot shafts etc...

Also, do you need to put anything on the new ones to make them stay on? Thanks for any tips...

what i do with the shoe lace trick, is tie it a loop then fold in half so you have two loops, put one loop on each sideof the knob make sure to pull strait up. and make sure to put a towel down to lay the guitar on. and push down on the guitar with one hand and pull with the other hand. try not to wiggle the knob as your pulling. hope this helps.

i forgot to add the shoe string that work best for me are the wider ones, like the ones on converse...

did not know about the shoelace trick; for pulling the knobs off there is also a special tool for this that luthiers use.

Please be careful when putting the knobs back on, with not too much force, otherwise they can crack easily.

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

I grabbed a t-shirt and slipped the collar under the knob and twisted it around and pulled up. Very easy to change.

Thats the way to do it. Just make sure the T-Shirt / Cloth is rapped all the way round (under the lip) before you pull it, so it gives even pressure.

Its hard to explain, but when you try it, it will make sense!

I grabbed a t-shirt and slipped the collar under the knob and twisted it around and pulled up. Very easy to change.

I use a polishing cloth or similar. Twist it around underneath the knob, create a 'pocket' under the knob and pull up gently rocking it. It should come right off.

Sidenote: I tried this with a Tele that had a screw holding it on, wondering why the hell it wouldn't come off. The screw blended in very well with knob, it took a couple looks to see it [cursing][blush]

I use a polishing cloth or similar. Twist it around underneath the knob, create a 'pocket' under the knob and pull up gently rocking it. It should come right off.

Sidenote: I tried this with a Tele that had a screw holding it on, wondering why the hell it wouldn't come off. The screw blended in very well with knob, it took a couple looks to see it [cursing][blush]

I once did the same thing with some metal dome knobs I'm glad I didnt damage the guitar.

Archived