Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie says Howdy and guess what happened to me today?

Gipper

Just wanted to say hi and tell a brief story of how I got here.

I am currently living in Germany working on a US airbase here. When I came home today my landlord caught me outside and started talking to me about guitars. Well she speaks no English and I speak no German so the conversation was going nowhere pretty quick. So she motions for me to follow her and I go into her townhouse and a friend of hers is there. She introduces me as the guitar guy from number 5 and her friend disappears for a minute. He comes back with 2 guitar cases. In one is a 1978 RD77 Artist with gold hardware and active electronics and the other is a 1963 Les Paul Custom, again with gold hardware. Both are black and show a bit of age and wear but overall very nice. After trying to figure out what he wants (repair work or something else) we decide to carry them over to my place and plug them in. Well eventually we manage to work out he is interested in selling. I am not really interested in the RD.Iit is neat but not my cup of tea, but the LP Custom is just incredible in the way it sounds and plays. I had to put new strings on it since it was missing the high E and the rest looked as old as the guitar. All my guitars are newer and I often thought the vintage tone thing was bull**it but after playing this I have to admit I have never heard a new guitar sound like this. Now keep in mind I am a 47 year old newbie to guitars and am not much of a player but I have a knack for setups and do custom build guitars as a hobby so I have a bit of a clue. There are no chips but there is some buckle rash on the back and usual playing wear you would expect from a 40+ year old guitar. The lacquer has also shrunk a bit and seams are visible in several areas of the guitar, including all around the edge of the guitar. The binding is all in good shape and the fret board and frets are terrific. All electrical components are working fine and it plays sweet. So any ideas on what is a fair offer for this guitar? The gold hardware has some pitting but is all perfectly functional. So now I have 2 questions, 1) How often does someone offe ryo a 1963 LP Custom for sale outta the blue and 2) What is a fair offer for this thing. All input is appreciated.

Thanks - Gipper

1. Welcome to the forum!!

2. DUDE!!! An original '63???

3. I'd recomend dropping the fair offer approach in favor of a more financially favorable one. The references I have found online seem to indicate anywhere from $3,000 to... well, what this guys says about a '61 Wow

4. DUDE!!!!! An ORIGINAL '63!?!?!?! How cool is THAT????

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, thanks for working with our men and women in uniform.

Third, congrats on striking paydirt!

Fourth, any advice here would be secondary behind Gruhn's.

Speak to Walter Carter if you can't get George Gruhn himself.

I'm sure there are other good guys there, but those two will give you good advice.

Keep in mind the guitar market is getting a little soft, and the dollar is still pretty weak (I'm sure you're aware!) so consider everything. Walter did a written appraisal on my 12 string SG for $50 after I emailed detailed pics to him.

Hope it works out for you, get 'em BOTH if you can. You can always sell the Artist to a collector.

I agree with Gruhns. I just bought the late, GREAT, Scotty Stonemans 1933 Gibson A-00 Mandolin there a month or so back, was treated great, and even got a few emails from George. Great guy, very knowlegable.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Serial number is 00115977 and from what I can tell that makes it a 1963. It also has the number 2 stamped beloe the serial number. Does that indicate a factory second? He wrote that he bought it somewhere between 1965 to 1970 and I THINK he said 3000 euro which would be about $4500.

Gipper

Well here are a few quick pictures. The flash makes things look worse than they are but gives a good indication of overall condition. The buckle rash on the back is not through the finish, again its just the flash.

Gipper

lp2.jpg

lp3.jpg

lp4.jpg

lp5.jpg

lp6.jpg

lp1.jpg

That's not a 1963 Les Paul.

This isn't adding up at all.

1960 was the last year for the old body.

The SG body style was called the Les Paul until about '62 and finally became simply the SG by '63.

Production did not resume until summer of 1968 for the Les Paul.

It IS a factory second, not knowing the serial number I would guess early to mid seventies.

Does it have the volute on the back of the headstock where it transitions to the neck - under the nut?

You got some more fact finding to do, though the guitar appears to be a cool piece.

Make certain there are no signs of repair around the headstock - look closely.

The paint would cover any evidence if the repair was well done, filled, sanded and painted properly.

UPDATE: You are correct it is a 1976. I took the guitar to the local shop here for the owner to look at. Since I am practically putting his kids through college he took the time to look up the numbers in the Gruhn book. I made the mistake of ignoring the 00 prefix that indicates it is 1976 model and just looked at the rest of the serial number. I did this because the owner said he bought it between 1965 and 1970 so I focused on those years and assumed the 00 was just part of the overall serial number and not an indicator of year it was manufactured. The book identified all the other features including the fact it is a 4 piece mahog/maple sandwich body. This would explain the visible seam around the body of the guitar. While this does diminish the excitement a bit the guitar is still cool and I am considering buying it.

The RD serial number is 71358187 and based on what I could find it SHOULD be a 78. However the Blue book guitar PDF says that the standard sequence of numbers does not apply to custom or Artist series guitars so I am not sure. This guitar is in better shape than the LP, even still has the plastic cover on the pickguard.

Thanks for the assistance on this. This is why I love these forums. I will keep ya posted

Gipper

Structurally I see nothing wrong with the guitar and am wondering if the reason it was a factory second was strictly cosmetic, hard to say what is original and just wear. I figure if he will take somewhere between $500-700 I will buy it. If not I need another guitar like I need another hole in the head.

Gipper

Looks like a nice Custom... I was looking for one while I was in the states on my vacation and I looked at quite a few. Judging from what I saw to compare and the shape its in I'd say it was worth between 2500 to just over 3000 dollars. I ended up picking up a new 2008 black custom and that cost me 3000. Its a beauty no buckle rash, tarnished gold harware, or issues of any kind, plus a guarantee....

BlackCustom.jpg

I've seen seconds that were labeled as such for no reason I could see.

Gibson QC has a method for determining that I guess...

Primarily cosmetics I'm sure, structural issues of any significance should have put it thru the bandsaw.

I think it still is a great find... but as it si marked as a second, maybe you should take the price down... does the guy trying to sell it know something about guitars? Of course the languje differences are a problem, but maybe you can get someone to explain him that it is a factory second and thats the reason you are offering him less than what he wants...

Good luck with that one man, and welcome!

Archived