Gibson Brands Forums

Which amp to buy ?¡?¡...

Paul J...

One thing to consider is where you'll be playing. If your playing in a band situation, you'll need a tube amp. Solid state amps are great for playing in your bedroom, or living room. But when you start playing with a band solid state amps suck. They lose their tone at volume, and sound like crap. I wouldn't cheap out when it comes to an amp when playing with a band. As far as tube amps go, and with the style of music your playing I would recommend either a Fender Hot Rod deluxe, or a Marshall Haze 40 watt combo. They cost more than your budget, but are worth the extra money.For solid state amp the Fender Frontman 25R was mentioned here, and it's a great amp for the money. You might even try to rent these amps from your local music store to try them out where you'll be playing. Sometimes buying gear from the store can have different sounds when your playing elsewhere.

Hi Paul J...; If $200.00 is your limit, that's your money. Not mine or anyone else's here. Do what you have to do for an amp pardoner. You may find a pretty good number of guitar amps within your price range. A lot of the names you maybe familiar within that range. Check out the websites, even if for just seeing the amps out there, and the prices. Happy hunting man.

What the other guys said.

A $100 Yamaha Pacifica will sound better through a decent amp than an R9 will sound through a crap amp. If you need great tone, don't skimp on the amp.

Did you check out the Peavey? At $599 it's an absolute steal!

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116912/6505%26trade;112Combo.cfm

With a total budget of 2500, you can get a great rig. It might be a little more appropriate to spend like 1500-1800 on the guitar and 700-1000 on the amp, or something like that. Like the other guys said, the amp is an important part of the total package. You'd be sounding wayyyy better with a nice Marshall or other brand name tube amp - something that you can be really happy with. You'll be really unhappy if you buy a top of the line Les Paul and try to play it through a low end amp.

Get a fancy Studio for 1400 bucks or so. That gives you 500 to 1000 for a killer amp and a few hundred for the other stuff that you forgot.

[thumbup]

When did the amount go up? The first post says $200; not 2.5k. With that amount loads of great amps can be purchased; unless its 200 after you buy the guitar? If its 2.5k total and you have to have a LP go with a Studio; they are great guitars without the bling. That will leave over a grand for a amp which is a great starter package. Many vendors (including on line) will throw in loads of crap to get that sale.

Yeah man is $200 for the amp but I really don´t like the idea of buying a studio because of the chambered body and maybe Because of the pickups and the binding ...

I just gave him advice on what I would do in his situation. To be honest its sounding like he is rather new to playing electrics and wanting to put all of his eggs in one basket. At the end of the day its his money and he should spend it how he wants to, he asked for advice on what to do and we gave it to him.

mmm..... <_< no Jeff-7 i´ve been playing electric´s for more than 4 years... and yes guys thank you for your opinions ...... had considered a studio, but they began making chambered and cut off my hopes...

Confused, do you have a particular amp you don't like or looking to upgrade from a low watt practice amp? And what current guitar do you use?

Yeah Jeff ... I've had guitars like Squiers and custom made stratocaster type That I loved, and a solid state amp of 15W which served at the time ... But I want a les paul and I'll need a new amp ... and improve my gear ...

man! this thread really took off! back on page one, I said to look for the Jet city line. Ive go a 30 watt line 6 IV. I know I can get 100 bucks for that. And with a 15% off coupon at GC that puts me at about $150. Mabey consider that plan? Same route can be taken for other amps too.

Just another thought. [smile]

Good luck! [thumbup]

Archived