Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of the SKB-56 Deluxe CASE

tonebias

I've been looking for a nice case for my Les Pauls... I like the factory case but I don't think it can handle as much as some of the other cases available (airports and letting others...drunk friends) carry my prized guitars. What do you think of the SKB-56 Deluxe LP Case?

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=233&o=&offset=1&c=75&s=75#

Are there any other cases that you would recommend?

I haven't tried one of these yet - SKB makes a lot of cases though and they hold up pretty well if your not wanting a heavy flight case. I can't help but wonder why the "New Approved TSA locks" have to be three inches across can't the airport screeners use a normal sized latch. I can't say I like the looks of these new cases I guess Im old style I like Lifton Poodle cases!

SKB makes the cases the army uses... If they are good enough for them, then your guitar should be ok and you shouldnt worry.

If you plan on flying with your guitar, I think a rectangular case is the best way to do it, a guitar shaped case wont fit between suitucases as a rectangular one will.

I have a few similar SKB cases without the new lock and latch styles. There well made and pretty tough for a formed lightweight case. If I know I have to check a guitar which I hate to do but happens sometimes now I use a G-tour flight case by Gator. I just can't or won't trust a guitar in a factory style case to the airport gorillas and machinery. The case has held up well for several years and shows just how hard life has been in the planes. Here's a picture of a new case which mine no longer resembles since mine is covered in tape, with gouges and travel security stickers now, but hey it still protects the contents well.

542118.jpg

Ya, that's the one.... I have a gator pedal board that is pretty nice, not indistructable but was not meant to be. This case looks very much like the one Thunder has, I like it.

Did some research on it and it looks really nice... A bit heavy at 27lbs, pretty pricey too at around $230 (but certainly worth it while on a plane). What is the inside like retro? Are there compartments for stuff? I can't find any pics of the inside of the LP style one. Does your guitar fit snug?

Archived