Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Recording - Serials

BillyV

Hello;

I have a Les Paul Recording Serial Number 136286.. it includes a Branded "Made in USA" marking near the Serial.

Can anybody help determining the exact year of this guitar? It is all mohogany and includes an impedence switch.. so I think it may be in the 1971-1973 range..

Appreciate any help on this.

BillyV

As ksdaddy says. This is a very good way of dating Les Pauls from this rather confusing time in the Gibson serial number books.

One source I have lists serial numbers for the '71-'73 period as running from approx 635001-999999 ('72) when they started again at 000001 and by '73 had reached approx 031000. He, therefore, would date your instrument in the '74 run (031000-173000) although L5Larry has possibly well-founded reservations over the accuracy of this particular source, suggesting these figures may be one year out - hence your instrument would, in fact, date from '73 after all.

It's not easy to be sure!

Just one further point to bear in mind; deciphering the pot codes is an accurate method of dating the pots; it's not necessarily a foolproof way of dating the actual instrument...

P.

As ksdaddy says. This is a very good way of dating Les Pauls from this rather confusing time in the Gibson serial number books.

One source I have lists serial numbers for the '71-'73 period as running from approx 635001-999999 ('72) when they started again at 000001 and by '73 had reached approx 031000. He, therefore, would date your instrument in the '74 run (031000-173000) although L5Larry has possibly well-founded reservations over the accuracy of this particular source, suggesting these figures may be one year out - hence your instrument would, in fact, date from '73 after all.

Just one further point to bear in mind; deciphering the pot codes is an accurate method of dating the pots; it's not necessarily a foolproof way of dating the actual instrument...

P.

Good thing to bear in mind that the pot code dates the pot, not the guitar. Howerver from what I have seen, pots mostly went into guitar fresh from production and do really match the procution period of the gutiar in most cases. That's why this has become such a popular way to date 70's Les Pauls (that and the fact that our 70's serials are pretty damn confusing of course [tongue] )

And in the case of LP Personals and Recordings.... (fuzzy memory here) there was at least one pot in there that was an odd value, like a 100K for example. I don't recall the value but it was odd and linear. It was a pot that wasn't 'normal' (250,500) so there was the potential for that pot to be a year or two older than the rest. They just didn't get used up as quickly as the normal volume and tone pots.

• 2 weeks later...

P.

Thanks so much.. this is very helpful indeed.. will check the Pots and see what they say.. .will post my findings here for the curious.

Thanks again.

BillyV

Thanks so much.. this is very helpful indeed.. will check the Pots and see what they say.. .will post my findings here for the curious.

Thanks again.

BillyV

FWIW, I have a ''79'' LP recording that I took to the repair shop for some work and BCRGreg told me the pot codes were from ''76'' and on the back of the headstock is 71529xxx.

Thanks again.

BillyV

Please do. I had a '72 Recording for many years and wish I still had it. I didn't think they made them in the late '70's, I thought it was just a short run other than Les's personal guitars.

Archived