Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson string in a Faded

Rui Barata

Hello my friends

I own a 2009 SG Faded and I need to restring it. I know the original strings are the Gibson Brite Wires .010 through .046w (product code is SEG-700L).

The problem is that I can't find these strings. In fact I can't find any Gibson strings anywhere in my country.

This means I need your help to point me to another string brand similar to the original Gibson strings. This is my first restring so I really have no clue about which strings to buy. I only know that I liked the Gibson that came with the guitar.

Thank you very much.

I've used Ernie Ball "Slinkys" since I discovered them in '88.....never had one break or unravel......and they last a good amount of time.

Regular Slinkys (neon green packet) on Gibsons.they're .10-.46 guaged

Super Slinkys (neon pink pack) on Fenders..... .09-.42 guaged

I will second the Ernie Ball Slinkys. There are better strings (allegedly) and there are cheaper strings but there is no better string at the "sensible" price range. They are probably the most widely used strings available for electric guitar and have an excellent reputation. You would need a very good reason to use anything else.

Restringing need not be a black art. the most important thing is to replace one string at a time. Do not take all six strings off and then put all six new strings on. Opinions vary about the best order but I think that is less important than the genaral principle of removing on etsring, replacing it, tuning it and then moving on to the next string. Once all strings are done , retune as you normally would. Be prepared for the fact that you may have to retune more often than normal while the strings stretch a little. A little graphite based lube on the nut is not a bad idea while you are at it.

the most important thing is to replace one string at a time. Do not take all six strings off and then put all six new strings on.

This is my problem now. I want to clean and apply oil to the fretboard and it would be difficult without removing all the strings. Any good techniques on how to do it?

Archived