Gibson Brands Forums

Tighteing white button tuners on J-45

steverok

the little rod is loose when I turn it without a string on.

Tuning machines are designed and manufactured to operate under string tension. What the tuner "feels" like without a string on it is completely irrelevant to it's proper operation (under string tension).

Tuning machines are designed and manufactured to operate under string tension. What the tuner "feels" like without a string on it is completely irrelevant to it's proper operation (under string tension).

Fair enough. That's certainly easy ! I suspected I was losing bass E tone because of that. It turns out my bass E string died after I let a ragtime guy play the guitar. I changed strings and my bass E got the snap back. Something he did plucking the strings zapped the tone. Last time he plays my guitar !

You could take the tuner off, remove the knob and re-glue. It may or may not work! However, you also noted that the rod was wobbly when not under tension.

This is common to this type of tuner. My tuners on a 93 J-45 had serious wobble, so I changed them all with Tonepro Klusons.All I can say is they are way better than the originals. So much so, I replaced

the tuners on my 2nd 93 J-45.

I had the same concern over the weekend when I swapped the white button tuners on my SJ for the ‘green’ keystone style. Prior to installation one tuner rotated very freely while the other five had much greater resistance.

However, once installed and up to tension they all worked as they should and are staying in tune nicely. In the end it sounds like it was a non-issue for you as well-- ragtime guitarist notwithstanding!

Yep ! If the vintage tuners keep bothering you; simply upgrade them to Grovers or Tonepros.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

Archived